What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU's recruiting effort to date is one of the worst in the country per Bleachers R

The other part that is left out of this conversation on competing is the politics involved. If a school has three legit prospects at one position we would hope that each gets a fair shot to earn the job or at least playing time. More often than not however that is not the case. If one of those players comes from a HS that is considered a key recruiting target because of having a history of top prospects or if one of the kids comes from an area that the school considers a key recruiting area more often than not the coaches are going to give preference in order to make their future recruiting easier. The kid who comes from a school or recruiting area that is not the priority has to go far above and beyond to get his shot.

Other politics play in as well when their are multiple prospects for a position. Was the kid recuited by the position coach or by a different position coach who had that geographical area, did the position coach who recruited the kid leave and get replaced on the staff so the kid loses his advocate.

We would love to think that it all comes down to play the best kid and let them earn their time but when schools have choices they often don't follow this rule. On the other hand a quality kid coming into a building program has coaches who know that they have to create wins on the field or they not only lose their jobs but they also get tagged as losers hurting future coaching prospects. It is in their interest to find who is the best player and get them out there as soon as possible.

Also, does the player have a dad who is also the head coach?

Actually, an offer from any top 25 school would do.

Maybe I'm not a real CU fan but I think it's delusional to believe that we can compete against top 25 schools for recruits right now. Hawk was pathetic at it and despite my feelings about the current coaching staff, they are not highly regarded nationally.

The risk that I see is that we spend all of our effort butting heads against schools that we cannot currently compete against and continually lose prospects. By the time we get around to prospects we have a legitimate shot at, they have all committed elsewhere and we are left with whatever we can get.

It's a fine line to walk. Shoot for the moon or play it safe? There are only so many hours in the day and so many trips the NCAA allows. Use them wisely.

Edit - for my pathetic English

Right now you need to look at it like CU is the underdog in every recruiting battle against any BCS program that has been in a bowl game the past 3 years or any non-BCS program that has had multiple top 25 rankings during the past several years. We should be in as many of these battles as we can possibly be and do everything we can with every prospect who is receptive to the message. We'll pull some upsets this way and put a very good class together. Also, by offering our Plan B guys this early we got a jump on a lot of programs and will not be in the situation of scrambling at the end like we did the past 3 recruiting classes.

We need to have around 10 solid Plan A and Plan B guys committed before the start of the season. We need to have that number to 20 by the time the season ends. If we have a good season, we'll see late decisions break our way on some guys we're not expecting. But either way this will be a nice class. Ton of work this year, though.

Maybe I'm not a real CU fan but I think it's delusional to believe that we can compete against top 25 schools for recruits right now. Hawk was pathetic at it and despite my feelings about the current coaching staff, they are not highly regarded nationally.

The risk that I see is that we spend all of our effort butting heads against schools that we cannot currently compete against and continually lose prospects. By the time we get around to prospects we have a legitimate shot at, they have all committed elsewhere and we are left with whatever we can get.

It's a fine line to walk. Shoot for the moon or play it safe? There are only so many hours in the day and so many trips the NCAA allows. Use them wisely.

Edit - for my pathetic English

To concede every recruit that has offers from top 25 programs would be career suicide for Embree and his staff.

Not saying you devote all the resources to the every elite player around the country, but we need a dramatic upgrade in talent. If this staff cannot at least win some recruiting battles for top players with good offers, then they have failed. Fortunately, I doubt we will have to worry about that situation.

This is going to be a good class and it is going to be good in large part because the coaches convince many guys that have "better" offers to come to CU.

Here is my opinion for what its worth. Dont bash me too much. As for the * rating, its a joke most of the time, because i feel like it depends alot on camps and how many you do and how often. The more your paying to be in front of these so called evaluators the more pub your gonna get. Also, as far a QB goes if you are a combine stud ie: run jump lift and burst the better you do. i would much rather put some pressure on the kids and see what they can do as far as decision making, ability to make all the throws and evading under pressure. I would rather put my money with a team of coaches that have NFL experience than these writers....

As for the in state kids leaving I think its natural at this point in time for these kids to take off for what they feel is a High Profile school.
Win and they wont leave! This staff WILL turn it around, too talented not to, but to ask them to sign a bunch of 5 stars and keep the in state kids already is a bit too soon. I dont worry about this staff signing kids, I worry about keeping them all on board in the years to come...EB, Cabral & Rip could be HC somewhere right now!

From a Pro-Style QB recruits perspective why go somewhere and sit on the bench with other 4-5 star QBs (USC) and hope you get a shot! those other QBs dont make you better the coaches coach you up and the Defense you play against everyday does. i would much rather be able to get in there ASAP and experience COLLEGE FOOTBALL baby! The chance to run a huddle and be behind center at the D1 level, with the crowd noise and atmosphere is where you want to be... CU is an ideal school for this...

Academics - Atmosphere - History - Rabid Fans - Pac 12 - ProStyle Offense/Coaches to get you to the next level - Pretty close distance from Texas & Cali for family

To concede every recruit that has offers from top 25 programs would be career suicide for Embree and his staff.

Not saying you devote all the resources to the every elite player around the country, but we need a dramatic upgrade in talent. If this staff cannot at least win some recruiting battles for top players with good offers, then they have failed. Fortunately, I doubt we will have to worry about that situation.

This is going to be a good class and it is going to be good in large part because the coaches convince many guys that have "better" offers to come to CU.

I agree with you, although that might not have been clear in my post. It's a balance and I think the coaching staff proves their worth by judging which players are worth the effort and having a story that can pull them.

I just get frustrated with people saying that we should be winning battles against top 25 programs. We should win some but there is no rational reason for believing that we should be consistently winning them at this point. I want that to change, obviously.

I agree with you, although that might not have been clear in my post. It's a balance and I think the coaching staff proves their worth by judging which players are worth the effort and having a story that can pull them.

I just get frustrated with people saying that we should be winning battles against top 25 programs. We should win some but there is no rational reason for believing that we should be consistently winning them at this point. I want that to change, obviously.

I'd agree with that view also but let's be honest, with all the talk of how many good recruiters were on staff, we should be doing a bit better shouldn't we? Especially IN-STATE? Like many have said, CU has to win games and not 2-3 years from now.

Back