What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

D-I Hockey at CU

well lets ignore the cost of the program to get it running, the fact that we don't have a place for them to play. I just don't think there are enough players in Colorado to make this happen. I looked over a couple of rosters and two things stood out to me:

1 - teams like to fill their roster with talent within their state (usually 40% of the roster is in-state players)
2 - there are a ton of really good hockey players in Minnesota

Denver U = 7 players from Colorado
Colorado College = 1 player from Colorado
Minnesota = 1 player (24 from Minnesota)
Wisco = 0 players from Colorado (10 from Wisco, 5 from Minnesota)
Michigan = 0 players from Colorado (11 from Michigan)
U Mass = 0 players from Colorado (10 from Massachusetts)
Boston College = 1 player from Colorado (7 from Massachusetts)
North Dakota = 1 player from Colorado (0 players from ND, 6 from Minnesota)
Minnesota-Duluth = 0 players from Colorado (20 from Minnesota)

I took a random sample of teams and tried to get some BCS teams and teams that have had some recent success. The only way to make this work would be a $100 million dollar donation to build a new arena for hockey and fund the team and we would absolutely need to get as many coaches with ties to Minnesota as possible.

I couldn't care less if CU ever got baseball again, and will actively campaign the AD against it when we start looking to expand. I would much rather see wrestling, men's tennis, lacrosse and hockey.

well lets ignore the cost of the program to get it running, the fact that we don't have a place for them to play. I just don't think there are enough players in Colorado to make this happen. I looked over a couple of rosters and two things stood out to me:

1 - teams like to fill their roster with talent within their state (usually 40% of the roster is in-state players)
2 - there are a ton of really good hockey players in Minnesota

Denver U = 7 players from Colorado
Colorado College = 1 player from Colorado
Minnesota = 1 player (24 from Minnesota)
Wisco = 0 players from Colorado (10 from Wisco, 5 from Minnesota)
Michigan = 0 players from Colorado (11 from Michigan)
U Mass = 0 players from Colorado (10 from Massachusetts)
Boston College = 1 player from Colorado (7 from Massachusetts)
North Dakota = 1 player from Colorado (0 players from ND, 6 from Minnesota)
Minnesota-Duluth = 0 players from Colorado (20 from Minnesota)

I took a random sample of teams and tried to get some BCS teams and teams that have had some recent success. The only way to make this work would be a $100 million dollar donation to build a new arena for hockey and fund the team and we would absolutely need to get as many coaches with ties to Minnesota as possible.
suburban twin cities kids love cu. we could probably pull a couple kids every year regardless of coaching ties.

I couldn't care less if CU ever got baseball again, and will actively campaign the AD against it when we start looking to expand. I would much rather see wrestling, men's tennis, lacrosse and hockey.

I agree with this completely.

Baseball is very a very popular subject with the people who love the game but I don't see any way that a program in Boulder is ever realistically competitive in the PAC or manages to generate enough money to come close to being financially viable.

I don't think we would need that much, tante. RIT's new arena will cost about $35 million and will seat 4,150. I realize there would be some other startup costs aside from the arena but I wouldn't think those would be more than about $20 million, if that.

http://www.ritathletics.com/news/2012/10/19/MHOCKEY_1019123146.aspx?path=mhock

this is CU we are talking about, you need to use 2030 pricing for arenas. but good point. I was thinking about $70 million or so for a 7000 seating stadium and then $30 million for startup costs and encouragement for the AD to get this done. We would probably need a women's team too.

Colorado is up and coming with hockey talent, but I also don't think that in-state talent is as big of a deal for hockey. Take a look at the rosters for UNH, UVM, Maine, Ohio State, and Notre Dame to name a few and perennial power UND is not fielding a single player from ND but one from Denver, two from California and one from Arizona. The California market could be all CU's and maybe I am playing favorites here but I truly believe in-state recruits would choose CU over DU and CC.
Also around $40 mill to start up a team is not a lot of money considering how much could be generated through the years.

this is CU we are talking about, you need to use 2030 pricing for arenas. but good point. I was thinking about $70 million or so for a 7000 seating stadium and then $30 million for startup costs and encouragement for the AD to get this done. We would probably need a women's team too.

I don't think we'd need a hockey arena that big, around 4K would be more than sufficient. DU only has a 6k seat arena and they have the Denver metro area to draw from. And does DU even sell out that often?

Colorado is up and coming with hockey talent, but I also don't think that in-state talent is as big of a deal for hockey. Take a look at the rosters for UNH, UVM, Maine, Ohio State, and Notre Dame to name a few and perennial power UND is not fielding a single player from ND but one from Denver, two from California and one from Arizona. The California market could be all CU's and maybe I am playing favorites here but I truly believe in-state recruits would choose CU over DU and CC.
Also around $40 mill to start up a team is not a lot of money considering how much could be generated through the years.

I picked teams from the frozen four and some random other teams. I didn't use union or ferris since I never heard of them. And totally disagree on the up and coming talent team. My brother in law is 18 and just graduated high school. He has been playing hickey since he was about 6. There were times when his leagues would get cancelled due to not having enough players.

And disagree about making a ton of money. The men's team barely breaks even and they only have 12 or so guys on scholarship. Less guys travel to games than hockey and the equipment is way cheaper. I just don't see it making a ton of money.

And disagree about making a ton of money. The men's team barely breaks even and they only have 12 or so guys on scholarship. Less guys travel to games than hockey and the equipment is way cheaper. I just don't see it making a ton of money.

Could you clarify, whose men's team? I am unsure of what you are saying, other than you disagree with me. I don't know what to tell you, if you are concerned about a Colorado University being able to field a team or be successful look at the 3 teams that are here that have been doing it for awhile. Not sure how you can say CU hockey wouldn't work when there are three examples that contradict this point and those schools have less to offer.

Could you clarify, whose men's team? I am unsure of what you are saying, other than you disagree with me. I don't know what to tell you, if you are concerned about a Colorado University being able to field a team or be successful look at the 3 teams that are here that have been doing it for awhile. Not sure how you can say CU hockey wouldn't work when there are three examples that contradict this point and those schools have less to offer.

Men's basketball. And what are your examples that prove your point? I didn't see you post any revenue and try to use a school that is comparable to us budget wise of course. So toss out Notre dame, Michigan and Ohio state.

How many Cal kids are playing division 1 hockey?

This discussion is about something that isn't going to happen in any case. CU is most likely to first address some additional women's sports for title IX purposes. Ifwe see men's sports added it would be a shock if they didn't add sports that are PAC 12 sports. It might even be that part of the deal in joining the conference specified that.

This discussion is about something that isn't going to happen in any case. CU is most likely to first address some additional women's sports for title IX purposes. Ifwe see men's sports added it would be a shock if they didn't add sports that are PAC 12 sports. It might even be that part of the deal in joining the conference specified that.

Very true. It is funny because before looking at the numbers I thought hockey would work here too.

Men's basketball. And what are your examples that prove your point? I didn't see you post any revenue and try to use a school that is comparable to us budget wise of course. So toss out Notre dame, Michigan and Ohio state.

How many Cal kids are playing division 1 hockey?

Outside of New England and Minnesota, Texas and California are the next tier of hockey hotbeds in the United States. The examples of success are nationwide, Wisconsin, MIch, Mich St., DU, CC, AFA. UND, Minnesota, etc. CU Men's Bball is turning around revenue wise (see season tix sales already this year) and the outlook for the future looks even better.

Outside of New England and Minnesota, Texas and California are the next tier of hockey hotbeds in the United States. The examples of success are nationwide, Wisconsin, MIch, Mich St., DU, CC, AFA. UND, Minnesota, etc. CU Men's Bball is turning around revenue wise (see season tix sales already this year) and the outlook for the future looks even better.

Find some numbers on these recruits from Cal. I would love to see those.

And most likely men's basketball will just do a bit better than break even. Tickets are still to cheap.

Come on find some numbers, make a real argument. How much do those schools make per year from hockey.

Find some numbers on these recruits from Cal. I would love to see those.

And most likely men's basketball will just do a bit better than break even. Tickets are still to cheap.

Come on find some numbers, make a real argument. How much do those schools make per year from hockey.

Well short of individually emailing the athletic depts, which I am not going to do, I don't know where you want me to get these numbers. If the teams were not financially viable the Universities would simply do away with them. Common sense would tell you that. It seems to me you are just against a hockey program in general and just continually construct straw-man arguments to try and feel better about the Buffs getting blown out earlier today. So Tante either add productive conversation or go pet your German Shepherd and stop bringing so much negativity to posts on hypothetical topics.

I am a former Junior hockey player in the New England area who played with and against many kids from Nor Cal and Texas. Trust me, I know far more about hockey than you and I am not saying that with a tone of superiority. I am just trying to convey that I do in fact know what I am talking about, since you seem to be questioning that quite a bit. If you still have doubts check the rosters for the top college programs, I guarantee that there's a ton of Cali and Western kids.

The $ numbers are online for public schools you just need to do some work to back your position. Also check a few rosters for Cal kids. I didn't notice very many on the school roster I looked at above. It is great that you found an article that says Cal hockey is growing but we need division 1 hockey players.

My doggies said good idea to get me to pet them.

Look I did some homework for you. Here is Minnesota Duluth. A pretty successful program. They make 200k a year and only have to recruit their backyard.

http://athleticscholarships.com/mens-ice-hockey-scholarships/university-of-minnesota-duluth/

Here is another link that says CC makes 450k

http://college-sports.findthedata.org/m/l/2112/Colorado-College-Ice-Hockey

And here is one that says DU breaks even

http://athleticscholarships.com/mens-ice-hockey-scholarships/university-of-denver/

See not that hard.

"I need to do some work to back my position?" Sorry bud I only take classes Mon-Fri, don't need a lecture from an old man with axe to grind via keyboard. Last facts of the night, University of Northern Michigan is a D-I hockey school (playing against Notre Dame as we type), so "do some work to back your position". AFA alone has 4 California kids and a Utah kid, 6 playing in Colorado with more from Texas and other western states including Wyoming.

P.S. you must live a sad life to derive joy from this
P.P.S. Last AllBuffs post, site is full of bitter losers who try to argue with you over everything or question your identity (i.e. Orr). Thought it would be a good place to chat with fellow Buff Fans but it turns out it's just a bunch of middle-aged cry babies who come to feel like their opinions actually matter. Later

"I need to do some work to back my position?" Sorry bud I only take classes Mon-Fri, don't need a lecture from an old man with axe to grind via keyboard. Last facts of the night, University of Northern Michigan is a D-I hockey school (playing against Notre Dame as we type), so "do some work to back your position". AFA alone has 4 California kids and a Utah kid, 6 playing in Colorado with more from Texas and other western states including Wyoming.

P.S. you must live a sad life to derive joy from this
P.P.S. Last AllBuffs post, site is full of bitter losers who try to argue with you over everything or question your identity (i.e. Orr). Thought it would be a good place to chat with fellow Buff Fans but it turns out it's just a bunch of middle-aged cry babies who come to feel like their opinions actually matter. Later

Are you bigbang2's more literate brother?

Oh and **** you because you're the one being a whiney bitch, not Tante. He has good points, yours are awful.

Are you bigbang2's more literate brother?

Oh and **** you because you're the one being a whiney bitch, not Tante. He has good points, yours are awful.

I know I am now convinced. Let's email Bohn and tell him we need hockey ASAP because

1- Cal is a hotbed (even though we are unsure how many division 1 players they produce). We will get all the players we want from there

2- other schools are super successful at it so we will be too. (Even though DU sells out and just break even)

3- we have a former junior hockey player endorsing us getting a program for CU

Maybe the rest of the PAC 12 will get hockey too as long it doesn't mess up our recruiting pipeline into Cal.

I'll email your analysis to Bohn. I would expect an announcement shortly. #hockeyschool

I know I am now convinced. Let's email Bohn and tell him we need hockey ASAP because

1- Cal is a hotbed (even though we are unsure how many division 1 players they produce). We will get all the players we want from there

2- other schools are super successful at it so we will be too. (Even though DU sells out and just break even)

3- we have a former junior hockey player endorsing us getting a program for CU

Maybe the rest of the PAC 12 will get hockey too as long it doesn't mess up our recruiting pipeline into Cal.

I'll email your analysis to Bohn. I would expect an announcement shortly. #hockeyschool

Well **** sign me up!

What's funny about this is that nobody was hating on college hockey. Lots of us here have stated that if we had it we would buy tickets. All we did was talk about legitimate reasons why it is very unlikely to happen at CU, reasons that are major roadblocks to a program being established in Boulder.

Hkwlw 21 certainly has a passion and a certain degree of knowledge of the game but lots of us here have a lot more knowledge about how things work in the CU administration from years of observation.

We aren't the ones he has to convince, the ones he does have shown no interest in hockey and likely won't for at least a long time.

What's funny about this is that nobody was hating on college hockey. Lots of us here have stated that if we had it we would buy tickets. All we did was talk about legitimate reasons why it is very unlikely to happen at CU, reasons that are major roadblocks to a program being established in Boulder.

Hkwlw 21 certainly has a passion and a certain degree of knowledge of the game but lots of us here have a lot more knowledge about how things work in the CU administration from years of observation.

We aren't the ones he has to convince, the ones he does have shown no interest in hockey and likely won't for at least a long time.

Quoted for truth. I think the vast majority of us would love to see a D-1 hockey program here. We've been exposed to how this administration works for so long that we can nearly guarantee that it will never happen. There are too many obstacles in place, cost being the major one. But beyond that, you have Title IX, facilities (or lack thereof), and conference affiliation. We'll have a men's gymnastics team before we have a D-1 hockey program.

Back