What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

D. Scott to Florida State?

J-Fly and the posse - I don't have any proof but it wouldn't surprise me if DS wasn't hearing from a lot of his "friends" about how he wasn't being respected and given a fair shot.

^^^^
This. A lot of chatter in his head about how great he was, and how poorly he was treated --- not hard to imagine that happening.

And IIRC, DS's mom and stepdad were quick to move him around in high school when they didn't think he was getting the opportunity he deserved. (He had a great year as a junior, and switched schools for senior year.) On one hand, it's called looking out for your kid, but maybe it also set him up for the attitude, if I don't like the way things are going, I'll pick up my marbles and find another game. But it didn't work that way in college.

2/6/2008 USA Today. "Dan Hawkins has a vision, and I want to be a part of that vision," Scott, a 6-0, 204-pounder considered the top running back in the country, said Wednesday after doffing a Colorado baseball cap. "Hopefully, we can pull in a national championship."
linky

Speedy and Lockridge the best RBs on the team. OK ValdezJ. In just a few months we're going to find out how good they are. See what you have to say then.

Alfred, you're right. Scott should have gone to Texas and spared Buff fans the embarrassment of having him around. You got it all figured out.

Why did Sumler leave? Was he eating donuts too? Fact is that the coaches suck, especially Hagan. As a coach he's done nothing but run off the best players. He fooled a couple to commit to the Buffs. But once they saw the real Hagan it was no thanks and good bye.

Alfred, you're right. Scott should have gone to Texas and spared Buff fans the embarrassment of having him around. You got it all figured out.

WTF? I'm saying that Scott should have had better advisors helping him decide what to do when the going got tough at Colorado.

Whatever made him want to leave, he did not seem to have a plan about what he was doing next. The ideal thing is that he could have worked through whatever the problem was at CU: him, his attitude, injuries, the coaches, the playbook, homesickness, playing time,
--- I have not a clue why he left. I wanted hiim to be a buff. But in a parent's perspective, if he isn't going to be at Colorado, he should have had a realistic plan for what happened next. I don't see that happening now, and that's just sad. It's like he got off the train before he reached his destination and didn't even check to see what station he stopped at.

WTF? I'm saying that Scott should have had better advisors helping him decide what to do when the going got tough at Colorado.

Whatever made him want to leave, he did not seem to have a plan about what he was doing next. The ideal thing is that he could have worked through whatever the problem was at CU: him, his attitude, injuries, the coaches, the playbook, homesickness, playing time,
--- I have not a clue why he left. I wanted hiim to be a buff. But in a parent's perspective, if he isn't going to be at Colorado, he should have had a realistic plan for what happened next. I don't see that happening now, and that's just sad. It's like he got off the train before he reached his destination and didn't even check to see what station he stopped at.

The coaches weren't playing him. We were losing games and he was still on the sidelines. You forget that the only reason the Buffs had a shot at Scott was that his uncle was already here. Otherwise Hagan and the Buffs would have never had a prayer at landing Scott. You're not his parent so quit worrying about what his parents should have done. Fact is that Hagan ran off our two best RBs (regardless of what Valdez thinks).

Moron reply for 2010.

You called Scott and Sumler our 2 best running backs. Sumler maybe. That is not what i have seen on the field the last two years. Now you can argue that is because the coaches had it out for them or some silly comeback but I am going off of the facts that I have seen on the field.

I really wanted Scott to have an amazing career for the Buffs but it didn't happen. He is not on a college campus and that tells me that something else is going on here.

What does it tell you when two of the best RBs leave the team when their own best interests would be to remain? Does it have to be spelled out for you? Hagan is a jackass and his players can't stand him.
hagan IS a jackass but Darrell didn't want to earn it... he wanted it to be given to him... ask anyone on this board... how much i hate hagan and how big my man crush on scott was... SCOTT GAVE UP ON THIS TEAM... AND DIDN'T BUST HIS ASS TALENT IS IMPORTANT... BUT ITS WORTHLESS IF THEY DON'T WORK HARD...

The coaches weren't playing him. We were losing games and he was still on the sidelines. You forget that the only reason the Buffs had a shot at Scott was that his uncle was already here. Otherwise Hagan and the Buffs would have never had a prayer at landing Scott. You're not his parent so quit worrying about what his parents should have done. Fact is that Hagan ran off our two best RBs (regardless of what Valdez thinks).

All reasons to be unhappy:
1. The coaches weren't playing him.
2. We were losing games and he was still on the sidelines.
3. His uncle was transferring to UCLA.
4. ?? (The part of the story none of us know.)

Reasons to leave:
1. You have a better situation to go to -- or a reasonable expectation that there's somewhere things will go better.

I'm not his parent, but if my kid was in a similar situation, I'd say:
- "you don't quit a job until you have another one lined up."
- be sure there is nothing YOU can do to improve the situation before you walk away.
- A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Then, to be fair, my kid would have done exactly what he wanted to do anyway. That's the way it goes with teenagers.

Maybe it doesn't sound like it, but I'm on Darrell's side. Because I want things to turn out well for him, regardless of CU, football and the rest. He's not the first kid who had a rough time in college, thought he made the wrong decision, etc. but he has a lot to lose and I hope he figures out his next steps soon. I hope he has a plan or comes up with one.

JFly?

Speedy and Lockridge the best RBs on the team. OK ValdezJ. In just a few months we're going to find out how good they are. See what you have to say then.

Why wait?

Stats from 2007 (For Sumler/Lockridge) through 2009:

Brian Lockridge - 50 carries, 266 yards - 5.32 yards per carry, 2 TD
Rodney Stewart - 330 carries, 1,426 yards - 4.32 yards per carry, 11 TD
Darrell Scott - 110 carries, 438 yards - 3.98 yards per carry, 1 TD
Demetrius Sumler - 199 carries, 714 yards - 3.59 yards per carry, 9 TD

Last edited:
hagan IS a jackass but Darrell didn't want to earn it... he wanted it to be given to him... ask anyone on this board... how much i hate hagan and how big my man crush on scott was... SCOTT GAVE UP ON THIS TEAM... AND DIDN'T BUST HIS ASS TALENT IS IMPORTANT... BUT ITS WORTHLESS IF THEY DON'T WORK HARD...

How the **** do you know if Hagan is a jackass? Have you ever even been around him? Go get some ****ing exercise.

He had one carry, but he played a handful of plays. He had a pass catch for 14 yards. Stats:

Scott 1 carry for 1 yard
Lock 1 carry for 9 yards
Stewart 6 carries for 38 yards
Sumler 8 carries for 20 yards

Rather than a conspiracy, I think film tells the story. Staff went with what was effective. Darrell was effective in HS running thru huge holes. He was effective vs. Toledo when the holes were large and obvious. Speedy was better at finding a sliver of an opening, which too often, was all we had to work with. When CU fell behind and went to the passing game, we saw a lot of Sumler who was considered more reliable at picking up the blitzers.

That is part of my point. He had the first carry of the game and then nothing. How can anyone tell what was effective based on the first carry of the game? He didn't even get the first series of the game let alone a few series after that. Why start the guy if he gets one and is done? I have no idea how hard he did or did not work, but he must have done something right to start the first game of the season. It baffles me as to why he didn't get more of a chance after the first play. Hawkins being Hawkins is the only thing I can come up with.

:nod:

Let's see which two backs are playing Div 1 football and which one can't even get an offer to a single D1 school... I think that should settle the question.

If you think D. Scott won't end up at a Div. 1 school, you've lost your mind.

Two Words: Quick Hildreth.

I hope you're right, AJ. Granted, I've only seen what I watched during the online broadcast of the spring game, but Q has not impressed me. It seemed he went down as soon as he was touched by anyone. Perhaps I was just expecting too much from him due to some of the hype, but i was really unimpressed.

If you think D. Scott won't end up at a Div. 1 school, you've lost your mind.

OK, lemme ask you... He quit the team in November and hasn't gotten a single offer since then. The Spring semester has come and gone. Spring ball is over. Teams are already putting together their plans for Fall camp, and HE STILL HASN'T GOTTEN AN OFFER. He went all the way to Cincinnati looking to catch on there and didn't get anything. What leads you to believe that he's just going to magically pop up at a D-1 school come Fall? Rosters are set. Scholarships are all accounted for. There aren't any left to give. There isn't anybody out there, especially at a D-1 school, that is looking to add an out-of-shape running back with attitude problems.

And don't take this the wrong way - I was a HUGE DScott guy. I'm sickened by how the situation here was handled. I believe it was incumbent on the coaches to motivate and prepare him. They failed miserably at that task. But that's all in the past now. Every day that passes, he gets farther and farther away from ever playing D-1 football again.

I wish this story would just die already.

I don't see the point of people bashing him so much. It didn't work out. In my opinion, that was partially his fault, partially the fault of the coaching he received and the way he was handled, and probably most significantly the fault of some factors that none of us are really all that privy to.

We all wanted to see DS reach his potential here. Instead, he rarely even played. I personally don't understand why he didn't get more touches. It appeared that Hawkins was constantly trying to "break him" or teach him some kind of GET YER HORNS OUT LOL life lesson by making him watch from the sidelines. I don't personally understand the philosophy of trying to piss off your players to make a point. That kind of coaching attitude works on winning teams for certain guys. It doesn't work for Hawkins at all.

Speedy has definitely been productive here but I don't view him as the sort of superstar that some on this board do. We lack a game-changer at the RB position. I wanted DS to be that guy. He isn't. Time to move on... CU isn't even pretending that we are going to run the ball next year.

Some of you, IMO, are expecting way too much out of Hildreth. The guy is a totally unproven walk-on player and because he looked impressive in practice a few times some think he is going to make up for this team's enormous deficiencies at the RB position? I just don't buy it.

Stewart is an outstanding change of pace back, but he simply isn't built to carry the load for a whole season. Our group of backs is undersized and frankly underwhelming. We are super thin at this position, figuratively and literally.

What are we going to do when we inevitably struggle to move the ball through the air this year? Our coaches have come out and point-blank said that we are not going to be a running team this year... don't see teams do that to often.

I wish this story would just die already.

I don't see the point of people bashing him so much. It didn't work out. In my opinion, that was partially his fault, partially the fault of the coaching he received and the way he was handled, and probably most significantly the fault of some factors that none of us are really all that privy to.

We all wanted to see DS reach his potential here. Instead, he rarely even played. I personally don't understand why he didn't get more touches. It appeared that Hawkins was constantly trying to "break him" or teach him some kind of GET YER HORNS OUT LOL life lesson by making him watch from the sidelines. I don't personally understand the philosophy of trying to piss off your players to make a point. That kind of coaching attitude works on winning teams for certain guys. It doesn't work for Hawkins at all.

Speedy has definitely been productive here but I don't view him as the sort of superstar that some on this board do. We lack a game-changer at the RB position. I wanted DS to be that guy. He isn't. Time to move on... CU isn't even pretending that we are going to run the ball next year.

Some of you, IMO, are expecting way too much out of Hildreth. The guy is a totally unproven walk-on player and because he looked impressive in practice a few times some think he is going to make up for this team's enormous deficiencies at the RB position? I just don't buy it.

Stewart is an outstanding change of pace back, but he simply isn't built to carry the load for a whole season. Our group of backs is undersized and frankly underwhelming. We are super thin at this position, figuratively and literally.

What are we going to do when we inevitably struggle to move the ball through the air this year? Our coaches have come out and point-blank said that we are not going to be a running team this year... don't see teams do that to often.

Agreed. There is more to the DS story than we know. For whatever reason, he hasn't gotten a sniff from a legit D1 School. I find DH's handling as inexplicable as I find DS's inability to get somebody to invite him to join their team. I will say whatever DH did to foul up the situation, it wasn't as stupid as GB's handling of Brian Calhoun. BC immediately got lapped up by Wiscy, DS is still waiting for his phone to ring apparently. Part of this is on DS. Whatever, I wish the guy well and I'm sorry it didn't work at CU for him. But for all the things DH has screwed up, I'm not sure you can lay all this on him.

RB is a scary position for CU, and not in a good way. Speedy has shown flashes. Q is unproven, BLock has shown flashes. Neighbors, well he's still an unknown to in my book. If you are counting on a frosh RB not named Adrian Peterson, you are in trouble IMO. CU will throw the ball....a lot. I still think giving DH a summer to think about it will let him convince himself CH is the best option, all evidence to the contrary. TH should get all the reps. TH's talent needs to add experience. CH's experience cannot add talent, it's that simple. I think CH has an even money chance of being declared the "winner" of the QB "competition". If that happens, CU will be three yard curling it's way down the field this fall.....:bang:

I am sure there is SOME Div. 1 school that will take him. Wyoming or New Mexico or Tulsa or that type of school would certainly LOVE to have Darrell Scott on their sideline. Unfortunately, it appears that he only wants to go to a premier school, and it doesn't look like those schools have very much interest.

I am sure there is SOME Div. 1 school that will take him. Wyoming or New Mexico or Tulsa or that type of school would certainly LOVE to have Darrell Scott on their sideline. Unfortunately, it appears that he only wants to go to a premier school, and it doesn't look like those schools have very much interest.

I think you're right, but he needs to lower his expectations if he wants to play football ever again. It could also be that he is playing a waiting game with the current coaching staff and is putting his eggs into the basket of the as-of-yet unknown future head coach at CU taking him back.

Back