What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

D-Scott's Facebook Status isn't Encouraging

Thats where u mix in screens, play action,etc... It's called coaching. I guarantee we will see the same results we always see if DS and Speedy run the same plays. Besides, why would hurt to try it? Are you saying this is working? Speedy can get 500 yards, does it really matter his production if we lose? We need both of them to produce or we are gonna the same play from behind, throw 50 times a game football.

Does it really matter if both Speedy and DS run for 500 yards if we can't get threat of a passing game going. The idea that DS not getting playing time is costing us games is a farce. RB is far from our issues on this team.

I'm just curious how you would have done things differently last night. Speedy put up nearly 100 yards in the first half. If they take him out for Scott people are screaming about taking out the hot back. When Speedy got tired, Scott went in and wasn't productive. In the second half, they were passing more, maybe you can argue they should have kept running more because the game wasn't really out of hand until the end, but even then, wouldn't you still say you go with the guy that has nearly 100 yards already than the guy that has about 10?

Don't get me wrong, these coaches do a lot of stupid ****, but I can't really fault them for the way they used the RBs last night.

Speedy did great, but all i'm saying is,scott should be getting more than 4 carries for an entire game. But, cody's roll out 15 yds behind the line of scrimmage for a pass to mckinght for 4 yds is a better play.

Our OL needs to get mean and tough as does the whole team. Kissing the players forehead afetr each loss isn't helping.

Speedy did great, but all i'm saying is,scott should be getting more than 4 carries for an entire game. But, cody's roll out 15 yds behind the line of scrimmage for a pass to mckinght for 4 yds is a better play.

Our OL needs to get mean and tough as does the whole team. Kissing the players forehead afetr each loss isn't helping.

Yes 4>1.3

Rodney had 23 yards on his first 4 carries. But we should be playing DS over him?

Not OVER him, WITH him. What happened to stewart in the 2nd half? Your boy hawk wants more than 1 back and stated it several times. I'll say it for the 100th time, speedy should start and scott should get more than 1-4 carries a game.

The first half against Toledo is all I needed to see out of Scott. The talent is there. We haven't seen breakaway speed yet, but he is a flippen bull that is hard to take down. This staff is misusing this kid..... badly. It's ****in bull****. :pissed:

Does it really matter if both Speedy and DS run for 500 yards if we can't get threat of a passing game going. The idea that DS not getting playing time is costing us games is a farce. RB is far from our issues on this team.
No it isnt a farce and Ill tell you why. Speedy got gassed in the second and wasnt nearly as effective. Then what happened? We had to start throwing the ball everywhere and that is a bad recipe for this team. If we have 2 backs that can be productive, it'll take a ton of the load off of CHawk. Other words, he wont think he has to go out there and win the game. He dont have to throw for 250 a game, it just has to be enough to keep the D from cheating. DScott has real good hands and the D is pinning their ears back and coming because they know Cody cant run and nobody outside scares them. Why the hell dont they use Darrell in the screen game? You talked about the D being able to adjust easily if they run plays more suited to DS. Do you think they dont know what's coming when Sumler comes in?

I'm just curious how you would have done things differently last night. Speedy put up nearly 100 yards in the first half. If they take him out for Scott people are screaming about taking out the hot back. When Speedy got tired, Scott went in and wasn't productive. In the second half, they were passing more, maybe you can argue they should have kept running more because the game wasn't really out of hand until the end, but even then, wouldn't you still say you go with the guy that has nearly 100 yards already than the guy that has about 10?

Don't get me wrong, these coaches do a lot of stupid ****, but I can't really fault them for the way they used the RBs last night.
Thats why you dont wait till the 3rd quarter to give the guy some of the load. That's alot to ask of any rb to come in totally cold and produce. I agree with you Speedy is the man right now. Only point I am trying to get across is we become a much more dangerous team when we have more than one guy that can tote it especially when they are totally different style players.

If I have to give my RB 5-6 carries before he can get himself going, I am essentially giving putting myself in a bad situation where I have to complete several 3rd and longs in the my first few series.

Now many third and longs have we seen that started with a failed first down pass attempt? Should we bench the QB after 4 attempts and never let him off the bench the rest of the game? (It's a rhetorical question, smartasses..... :rolleyes:)

I'd like to see him get 20 carries in a game. We'll never know for sure untill he's allowed to run the ball enough to get into the rythym of the game.

The fact is that Speedy makes stuff happen with his shiftiness. But both backs would be better if there was a huge gaping hole, a la 62-36.

Id like to see DS and Speedy both get 15+ carries a game and see how much difference it might make. Its no wonder our line still cant runblock worth a damn. We are too busy throwing it 50 times a game.

The fact is that Speedy makes stuff happen with his shiftiness. But both backs would be better if there was a huge gaping hole, a la 62-36.

Bingo. For as big and strong as our OL is supposed to be, they don't get much push or pancake blocks. They need some nasty,mean guys up front who want to smash people in the mouth. Hawk has made everyone nice guys.

When Scott came in and got his 1 yard per carry, it was because Stewart had been getting stuffed for about the same yardage that half. Don't get me wrong Stewart needs his carries, but Scott needs a chance to run behind a fresh OL that actually generates a hole, not a wall that he has to run into. I don't get why they don't pound Scott for a bit in the first half and then bring in a fresh and lightning quick Stewart to dance around the tired defenders.

Yes 4>1.3

I don't agree with this at all. Certainly running the ball for 1.3 yards a carry isn't good, but you're using a very small sample size to determine that. Scott on the season is good for 5 yards a carry, therefore the run is better. That's not even including the fact that half of those 15 yard rollouts for a 4 yard dumpoff pass end in an incompletion, sack or even an interception. Why this coaching staff is so adament about completing 5 yard curls with no chance of YAC is beyond me. What's so wrong with just running the ball where you're likely to get those yards plus maybe some more because your RB isn't facing the wrong way and is already running in the right direction.

I've made clear my feelings about DS,so i wont go there, but, can we agree that we have WAY bigger issues than whether or not Scott transfers?? Im more concerned with no QB, no coach, D-line not getting a push, secondary's sudden speed issues, safety, WR, TE (graduations next year), then MAYBE DS. Maybe.

I never understood how you could work so hard to bring this 5 star recruit on campus, then act pissed off at him all the time. Speedy is our best RB, but let's try to incorporate Scott into a series here or there.

I'd like to see a 60/40 between Stewart and Scott, with Stewart getting the 60.

Spot on. He has never been given a chance to get into a rhythm or wear the other team down with his size.

The issue I have with this logic is it looks to me like Speedy is the tougher runner than Scott. I cant recall watching Scott smash into anyone keep going and dive for another 3-4 yards like Speedy did a number of times last night. Scott's bigger than speedy, but as backs go he isnt that big, and doesnt run that hard.

Crazy idea, but maybe we put Scott and Speedy in on the same play? One as running back and the other as receiver. For me it'd be Speedy as RB and Scott as WR, just to get everybody involved like you guys said.

Something else that might be interesting to see is if we put ALL of our RB's in on one play? I have no idea how it'd work, but it'd be kinda interesting, we've got some sorely needed breakaway speed there. :smile:

Well if there was any game for DS to break out and have a big one, next week is his week. How sweet would that be? However, he might need more than 4 carries to do that. Besides, they run plays for him that dont fit his ability anyway, imo.

You mean the one back backfield shotgun handoff to a flatfooted DS isnt a good playcall for him? shocker.

No it isnt a farce and Ill tell you why. Speedy got gassed in the second and wasnt nearly as effective. Then what happened? We had to start throwing the ball everywhere and that is a bad recipe for this team. If we have 2 backs that can be productive, it'll take a ton of the load off of CHawk. Other words, he wont think he has to go out there and win the game. He dont have to throw for 250 a game, it just has to be enough to keep the D from cheating. DScott has real good hands and the D is pinning their ears back and coming because they know Cody cant run and nobody outside scares them. Why the hell dont they use Darrell in the screen game? You talked about the D being able to adjust easily if they run plays more suited to DS. Do you think they dont know what's coming when Sumler comes in?

I disagree that he got gassed, I don't know for sure but I am guessing Stuart tweeked his hammy, but we will find out soon enough. I think WV keyed on run in the second half and decided to to make CU beat them passing the ball.. The pass to run ration was not that different in the first vs the second half.

1st Quarter 17 passes 8 rushes
2nd Quarter 11 passes 10 rushes
- Also DS had 2 carries in for 2 yards, There was a previous post that said DS didn't get an opportunity before the 3rd quarter when WV was shutting us down. not true
1st and 10 at WVU 24Darrell Scott rush for 2 yards to the WVirg 22.
2nd and 8 at WVU 22Darrell Scott rush for no gain to the WVirg 22.
Result 3rd and 8 and punt.
Sumler came in on the next series and got 6 yards on his first run on first down between the tackles which is where DS was trying to run as well.

3rd Quarter 8 passes 8 rushes
4th Quarter 18 passes 2 rushes

Pass to rushes was pretty consistent through 3 quarters until we got in a position where time was an issue. In fact came out passing the ball.

I am not sure why Stewart saw fewer carries in the second half. I don't believe it was because he was gassed. If he is gassed after 21 carries then conditioning is big issue that needs to be addressed. 20 carries for your starting RB is what I would expect to see. I think WV did what every team is going to do to us. Stop the running game and make CU beat you passing, which we all know is a huge weakness for us right now.

You can run DS on all the screens you want, but how many of our screens worked for us last night? Doesn't matter who the RB is, if you can't get the ball to him.

And yes I agree when Sumler is in the game, you know we have gone into passing mode and we what that gets us. Regardless of who is in the backfield they have to be able to execute. If you only run Stewart outside and DS inside you will get stuffed. That is what I like about Stewart, For a small RB he runs will inside the tackles as well.

My goal is not to say DS is a horrible RB, the kid obviously did well in HS, but even in the Toledo game he got caught from behind on his break out run. That should not happen. DS seems to do really well if the O-line opens up big holes, but so will any of our backs. If DS is going to be that special back he has to show he can create his own opportunities not just rely on the O-line to blow people up.

I don't agree with this at all. Certainly running the ball for 1.3 yards a carry isn't good, but you're using a very small sample size to determine that. Scott on the season is good for 5 yards a carry, therefore the run is better. That's not even including the fact that half of those 15 yard rollouts for a 4 yard dumpoff pass end in an incompletion, sack or even an interception. Why this coaching staff is so adament about completing 5 yard curls with no chance of YAC is beyond me. What's so wrong with just running the ball where you're likely to get those yards plus maybe some more because your RB isn't facing the wrong way and is already running in the right direction.

Scott had 1 game that he average over 5 yards a carry in. And again in this game he started out getting good yardage with the very first hand-off. Yes I agree he played well against Toledo and ran the ball well, but our O-line was blowing people of the line at during the beginning of that game. I have yet to see DS make anyone miss or create his own opportunity when the hole is not there. Rodney on the other hand seems to get positive yardage even when the blocking isn't the best up front.

My goal is not to say DS is a horrible RB, the kid obviously did well in HS, but even in the Toledo game he got caught from behind on his break out run. That should not happen. DS seems to do really well if the O-line opens up big holes, but so will any of our backs. If DS is going to be that special back he has to show he can create his own opportunities not just rely on the O-line to blow people up.

The thing is the only way a RB is going to learn how to be patient, adjust speeds, know when to try to make something out of nothing, get into rythm, etc. is if you get actual game reps.

No RB in college football will look good if you give him the ball twice in an entire game.

The thing is the only way a RB is going to learn how to be patient, adjust speeds, know when to try to make something out of nothing, get into rythm, etc. is if you get actual game reps.

No RB in college football will look good if you give him the ball twice in an entire game.

So are you willing to take carries away from Stuart when he is have a great night and tearing it up for about 5 yards a carry to do this? He has to take those carries away from someone, and I don't see the logic in taking them away from a back who is having a great night. In the 2nd Quarter if we get a first down on the series that Scott was in on, My guess is he stays on the field and continues for the rest of that series. It not like the ran him twice got a first down then pulled him. They put him in on a series and that series went 3 and out.

I don't think anybody's saying we take carriers aways from Stewert. But when he needs a breather we should put Scott in as #2. If anything we should be taking throws away from Cody and giving it to one of these backs. I'm so sick of seeing our funky ass 15 yard dropback/bootleg that screams pick 6 everytime.

Back