What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dad flew to Denver

Denver_sc

Club Member
Club Member
My dad flew to Denver this morning from Portland early (5:45 departure) and got bumped to first class. He got talking to a guy next to him and he said that he was going to Boulder for the game. My dad asked if he was alumni, and he said, "no, I'm really good freinds with Dan Hawkins."

My dad then told him to tell Hawk to "just win" today. The guy said that "[Hawk] realizes how important every game from here on out is if he wants to stay in Boulder." He also said that Dan realy likes living in Boulder. He said that he had been freinds with Hawk all the way back past the U Willamette days.

Either my dad or the guy brought up the success at every other previous stop in his career, and my dad asked what the difference was at CU. The guy said, "Dan never realized how deep the mess went before he got there."

Three thoughts:

• To me it sounds like Hawk knows that he needs to win out, or close, to stay on as HC.
  • Why am I not surprised that it's someone else's fault that he isn't having the same level of success at CU?
  • I really hope no prospective HC candidate ever talks to Hawk about the job. To hear him tell it, he was tasked with a job similar to raising the SMU program from the dead and had a completely unrealistic host of expectations.

Here's a fourth thought:

Dan has already rationalized every aspect of his failure in Boulder because he knows will inevitably be fired. Despite any other actual positive aspects of Dan's character, it is too much for him to say, "I wasn't a good fit for the task or the expectations."

Glad it was your dad and he enjoyed the conversation. For some folks that would have been a long and awkward flight.

I get so sick of Dan blaming everybody else for his failures. I'm not saying there wasn't a lot of "things to clean up" when he got here, but there is no excuse to go from 7-5 Big XII north champ to 2-10 and a loss to Montana State your first year. Then add in all the embarrassing blow out losses over the 5 years and it just makes me want to throw up. I can't wait to get this asshole out of Boulder for good.

Back