1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad flew to Denver

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Denver_sc, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Denver_sc

Denver_sc Club Member Club Member

My dad flew to Denver this morning from Portland early (5:45 departure) and got bumped to first class. He got talking to a guy next to him and he said that he was going to Boulder for the game. My dad asked if he was alumni, and he said, "no, I'm really good freinds with Dan Hawkins."

My dad then told him to tell Hawk to "just win" today. The guy said that "[Hawk] realizes how important every game from here on out is if he wants to stay in Boulder." He also said that Dan realy likes living in Boulder. He said that he had been freinds with Hawk all the way back past the U Willamette days.

Either my dad or the guy brought up the success at every other previous stop in his career, and my dad asked what the difference was at CU. The guy said, "Dan never realized how deep the mess went before he got there."

Three thoughts:

• To me it sounds like Hawk knows that he needs to win out, or close, to stay on as HC.
    • Why am I not surprised that it's someone else's fault that he isn't having the same level of success at CU?
    • I really hope no prospective HC candidate ever talks to Hawk about the job. To hear him tell it, he was tasked with a job similar to raising the SMU program from the dead and had a completely unrealistic host of expectations.

2. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Here's a fourth thought:

Dan has already rationalized every aspect of his failure in Boulder because he knows will inevitably be fired. Despite any other actual positive aspects of Dan's character, it is too much for him to say, "I wasn't a good fit for the task or the expectations."

bombay likes this.
  3. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Glad it was your dad and he enjoyed the conversation. For some folks that would have been a long and awkward flight.

4. Del

Del Member

I get so sick of Dan blaming everybody else for his failures. I'm not saying there wasn't a lot of "things to clean up" when he got here, but there is no excuse to go from 7-5 Big XII north champ to 2-10 and a loss to Montana State your first year. Then add in all the embarrassing blow out losses over the 5 years and it just makes me want to throw up. I can't wait to get this asshole out of Boulder for good.

5. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Yeah - 5 years in and it is still everyone elses fault.