1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily Camera: CU men's basketball: Derrick White ready for takeoff with Buffs

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by RSSBot, May 1, 2016.

1. RSSBot

RSSBot News Junkie

Spending a season on the sideline is never ideal for any basketball player, but in Derrick White's case it at least shed any nagging doubts that could have lingered after his life-altering decision.

<b>By Pat Rooney</b><p><p><i>BuffZone.com Writer</i>
    Continue reading...

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

White is going to be such a key to this season. XJ and King are great scorers, but they don't create a lot of opportunities for other guys. Fortune shares the rock, but when he's feeling a hot streak he's not looking to distribute. Another scorer into that mix could have really been a problem if it wasn't someone who was likely to average more assists than Dom did last year. White is the right guy for this group. I'm very excited to see this team mesh. So much firepower. Gonna be a real fun team to watch.

Hoops Fan likes this.
  3. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

How many times have folks here on AB excoriated players for passing up wide-open shots for an extra pass that has often led to a TO or shot clock prayer?
    King and XJ have fewer assists because its their role to score, not pass. If their shot is wide open after 3-4 passes by other players, so be it! That's how the "O" is supposed to work. You can't have it both ways! I would rather have them take that open shot, than look for someone possibly even more "open", which often leads to throwing up a last second prayer due to the shot clock.

4. jsmilkst

jsmilkst Club Member Club Member

Not sure he's really arguing that. Their role is to score, but we could still use a creator on the floor. Help create their shots.

5. ZandiBuff

ZandiBuff Well-Known Member

Especially with the other team . . .

wip likes this.
  6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Josh Fortune's A/T ratio last season was 1/1. He averaged 2.2 on each. For sure something he'll focus on improving in the offseason, but the fan perception of him as a TO machine is out of whack with reality. The other wings in his rotation on A/T were Fletch at 1.1/1.3 and King at 0.7/1.9. XJ was a 0.7/1.8 guy the season before.

My point that I was trying to make is that XJ and King are scorers who won't create a lot for others. Fortune has a scorer's mentality and is streaky, but will create for others when he's not gunning. And that adding another scorer to this mix really calls for someone who is as much a creator as scorer, which White satisfies.

There's only 1 basketball. Hard to keep everyone happy when the Buffs will have 6 guys (XJ, King, Fortune, White, Wes, Dom) who are all very capable of averaging double-digit scoring.

Goose likes this.
  7. BUFFering

BUFFering Well-Known Member

I am guilty of thinking Fortune was a turnover machine. Maybe it was just his propensity to cough it up halfway through the second half to spark a huge run. @USC and @Utah are the clearest ones in my head.

8. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

or the 5 TOs against UCONN...... I am guilty as well though. Didn't realize Fortune was 1/1. His ratio isn't bad at all for our team.

9. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

His problem, like Sefo's, is when the turnovers occur.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

painfully, very true.

11. PAHIBuff

PAHIBuff Club Member Club Member

I am getting very optimistic about the future of CU basketball.

12. chitownbuff

chitownbuff Club Member Club Member

At home versus Utah was the worst. They score off it to win the game.