What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dan Hawkins and the track team

A lot of schools encourage players to run track. It gives them motivation to work out more seriously and regularly. With the right track coaches it also can help develop speed and body control. As to injuries, every type of activity including lifting weights and informal workouts with the football team carry some risk. Logically the risk would be reduced by having qualified coaches working with the athletes on proper technique and the more intensive supervision with the coaches and trainers on hand to watch and shut a guy down at the first sign of trouble.

I can also see how this policy would hinder recruiting since a lot of top quality HS players at least entertain the thought of participating in track at the college level.

More likely it sounds like another case of Hawkins retreating even deeper into his bunker mentality. He sees the world crashing in on him and is grabbing for every little bit of control he can before he gets run over by his own failure.

I thought Neuheisel or Barnett also had this rule. I seem to remember thinking how crazy it was for some of our speed not to be on the track team (like many other schools). Too lazy to look it up - I just don't remember that many football players being on the track team for more years than just Hawkins' tenure.

Neu didn't allow it, and Barnett did is how I remember it.

More likely it sounds like another case of Hawkins retreating even deeper into his bunker mentality. He sees the world crashing in on him and is grabbing for every little bit of control he can before he gets run over by his own failure.

...because heaven forbid that Rodney might actually enjoy hanging out with B12 champion caliber athletes on the CU track team.

Emma%20Coburn%20at%20CU.jpg

The other thing is that apparently our track sprinters are not the strength of the track team. It would benefit everybody to have some guys working on their sprinting.

I wonder why Baylor QB Robert Griffin, who finished 3rd in the NCAA in the 400 as a freshman, quit track? Hmm.

The reasoning could be that he just does not want too much on a kid's plate, especially relating to academics. I'd assume, but don't know, that the football guys have to concentrate their heaviest acadeimic load in the spring. Its hard enough to keep kids acacemically eligible. Maybe he just wants them to concentrate, as much as possible, on academics.

:rofl: Thanks for the laughs DBT...

Actually when I saw this thread I was hoping that Dan Talkins was becoming the track coach and giving up football coaching. Guess I had my hopes up too much..

Actually when I saw this thread I was hoping that Dan Talkins was becoming the track coach and giving up football coaching. Guess I had my hopes up too much..

You are close to neg rep for even suggesting such nonsense.
CU track & field has been a bright spot and a source of pride over the past couple years.

Wetmore is the best coach CU has at the moment, and you joke about screwing that up?

Bad idea, Jimmy. Bad, bad, bad. Shame on you!

I do remember that they told DeVaughn Thornton (who won back to back state championships in Basketball) that he could play two sports.
And of course, Jeremy Bloom skied and played football ... not sure he skied for CU thought, maybe just the national team and Olympics.

Is the theory that only spring sports are off limits due to schedule conflicts?

If running track helps you get a recruit, you let him run. Arkansas does it all the time with FB players, don't know why CU wouldn't.

You are close to neg rep for even suggesting such nonsense.
CU track & field has been a bright spot and a source of pride over the past couple years.

Wetmore is the best coach CU has at the moment, and you joke about screwing that up?

Bad idea, Jimmy. Bad, bad, bad. Shame on you!

okay, okay.. I'm sorry... :lol:

Because he tore a leg ligament in FB as a Soph? No that couldn't be it....

No, that couldn't be it because he quit track before he tore his ACL.

"This year, as a show of dedication to Baylor’s football program, Griffin agreed to set aside his running aspirations and skipped the track and field season to focus on football."

I meant to link the article, but now I can't find it again. Here is another article, however:

http://startelegramsports.typepad.c...-robert-griffin-wont-run-track-this-year.html

I'm not trying to defend Hawkins. Once again, you guys are accusing me of that, I feel like. But this is just another ad nauseum thread attacking Hawkins for some inane reason. It is getting really old. There are probably a lot of coaches who don't let their players participate in other sports.

Last edited:
No, that couldn't be it because he quit track before he tore his ACL.

"This year, as a show of dedication to Baylor’s football program, Griffin agreed to set aside his running aspirations and skipped the track and field season to focus on football."

I meant to link the article, but now I can't find it again. Here is another article, however:

http://startelegramsports.typepad.c...-robert-griffin-wont-run-track-this-year.html

I'm not trying to defend Hawkins. Once again, you guys are accusing me of that, I feel like. But this is just another ad nauseum thread attacking Hawkins for some inane reason. It is getting really old. There are probably a lot of coaches who don't let their players participate in other sports.
He decided, he wasn't ordered, so I guess it still doesn't seem analogous to what Hawk is doing. To me, it just seems kind of silly. So many other successful CFB coaches allow it. Emmitt Smith, Tim Dwight, Kevin Kasper, you could go on and on, are examples of CFB stars who also ran track. Frankly, I don't feel I attacked DH over this issue, just pointed out I thought it was weird. You run in FB, so learning to run faster, better or more efficiently couldn't hurt, especially a skill position guy. But if DH doesn't want that, whatever. There are plenty of other larger deficiencies to point out where DH is concerned. I get where you are coming from, you want to give him a pass because we are stuck with him at least for this year. I feel differently. He's highly paid and sucking. If he can't stand the criticism for poor performance, he picked the wrong profession. I seriously doubt anything anybody says here speaks any louder than the losing seasons Danny turns in over and over.

It occured to me Coach Wetmore didn't participate on the CU coaching tour bus ride around the state.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

He decided, he wasn't ordered, so I guess it still doesn't seem analogous to what Hawk is doing. To me, it just seems kind of silly. So many other successful CFB coaches allow it. Emmitt Smith, Tim Dwight, Kevin Kasper, you could go on and on, are examples of CFB stars who also ran track. Frankly, I don't feel I attacked DH over this issue, just pointed out I thought it was weird. You run in FB, so learning to run faster, better or more efficiently couldn't hurt, especially a skill position guy. But if DH doesn't want that, whatever. There are plenty of other larger deficiencies to point out where DH is concerned. I get where you are coming from, you want to give him a pass because we are stuck with him at least for this year. I feel differently. He's highly paid and sucking. If he can't stand the criticism for poor performance, he picked the wrong profession. I seriously doubt anything anybody says here speaks any louder than the losing seasons Danny turns in over and over.
I'm not giving him a pass. But criticize where it is due, like wins and losses or game decisions or recruiting. Criticism isn't due in this case. This track thing is just criticising for the sake of criticising, IMO.

I'm not giving him a pass. But criticize where it is due, like wins and losses or game decisions or recruiting. Criticism isn't due in this case. This track thing is just criticising for the sake of criticising, IMO.

Fair enough. If saying I think the policy is weird constitutes criticism...I'm guilty. Hawk's record speaks for itself.

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned, all this stuff Hawk is doing, from moving the practice times, taking the names off the back of the jerseys, to not allowing players to participate in track, is all window dressing. He's not addressing the real issues that are causing his team to lose. He's manufacturing boogeymen and addressing false problems. His problems involve blocking, tackling, penalties and preparation. He's not done one damn thing to improve in these areas as far as I can tell. So when I hear that he's pulling out another in a long line of lame faux-problems to address, I just have to shake my head in disbelief.

or we can say want we feel and if you dont like it you can go screw yourself

or we can say want we feel and if you dont like it you can go screw yourself

Or how about we respectfully allow others to disagree with our opinions? Isn't that partly the point of this board, to debate these issues? If not, then if you don't like what DBT says why don't you take your own advice and go screw yourself?

DBT, for quite a few schools track= a recruiting tool. Alot of speed guys want to come in, play FB, and run track. If Hawk isn't letting guys run track then that could take away a potential advantage in signing a recruit.

DBT, for quite a few schools track= a recruiting tool. Alot of speed guys want to come in, play FB, and run track. If Hawk isn't letting guys run track then that could take away a potential advantage in signing a recruit.

CU has all the speed we need....:rolling_eyes:

If I were the coach, I'd let any kid, if he showed me he could handle the academics, participate in a spring sport. But it would be on a case by case basis. Maybe Sacky is right. Maybe Hawkins is throwing up a red herring. But maybe his reasons are valid. No one on this board has all the facts. Its all conjecture.

If I were the coach, I'd let any kid, if he showed me he could handle the academics, participate in a spring sport. But it would be on a case by case basis. Maybe Sacky is right. Maybe Hawkins is throwing up a red herring. But maybe his reasons are valid. No one on this board has all the facts. Its all conjecture.

It sounds good in theory, but wouldn't the player's commitment be toward the sport he was participating in at the moment? In other words, forget about spring football practices and scrimmages if you have a track practice or meet? So I can see that side of it. Not sure this idea would be compatible with getting the best football team on the field if you have a handful or more of guys who skip spring football to run.

Wish everybody could do everything they want to, but schedules could conflict and priorities be hard to set.

Wish everybody could do everything they want to, but schedules could conflict and priorities be hard to set.

I dunno. All I want to do is sit on the couch, eat waffles, drink good scotch and watch Scrubs reruns. As far as I can tell, there are no real priority or schedule conflicts with my plan.

In my opinion, the real problem with the scenario outlined in thread isn't schedule conflict or priorities but excessive ambition.

It occured to me Coach Wetmore didn't participate on the CU coaching tour bus ride around the state.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

That's because we're in the middle of track season right now. The NCAA Regionals are this weekend.

Back