What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dan Hawkins fired in Montreal

I don't hate him either. He has some good characteristics as a human being.

At the same time he set himself up for ridicule by his own actions.

He is the one who blamed Barnett claiming that the program was burned to the ground. I can guarantee that Barnett for all his faults left more major conference level players on the roster for Hawk than Hawk left JE.

He is the one who insisted on trying to turn his son into the hero, in the process ignoring the other players on the team including burning Tyler Hansens eligibility while playing yo-yo QBs.

He is the one who constantly blew smoke like the 8-10 plays away line, the little things line, the horn's out line. He is the one who spent every spring practice and camp with the years "new plan" only to abandon it for chaos before halftime of the first game each year.

He is the one who recruited classes that were an even mix of kids who weren't good enough and did stay and kids who were good enough who didn't stay.

He is the one who repeatedly implied that the fans had no idea what was going on while being completely clueless himself. The one who was arrogant and dismissive towards the press and the fans while "leading" us to such stellar moments as the Akron game, the Montana State game, the Missouri disasters, the Iowa State collapse, the Kansas disaster, etc. etc. etc, etc.

He is the one who threw out decades worth of traditions without replacing them with anything except smoke, mirrors, and phoney sayings.

He and I started CU at the same time. He was paid for failure more than I will ever make. I don't like him and I like seeing him fail. It's not like he is ever going to go hungry.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I do not hate Dan Hawkins. I mock Dan Hawkins. When one dwells at the intersection of arrogance and ignorance, it is easy to see how one can be the object of disdain. It has been said before but ridicule is reserved for the ridiculous. Dan Hawkins was a ridiculous coach while at CU. I don't wish him ill, but at the same time I am in no way surprised when he fouls his own mess kit, all the while proclaiming his expertise.

Fair enough. I mistook the ridicule for hatred. I have mixed emotions about this too. Part of me likes that he failed at Montreal and part of me feels sorry for him but oh well, that's life.

I think I have more disdain for JE than I do DH. There is a reason to not care for JE the way he tried to damage CU after being fired. He really sucked as a coach too but I know he tried his hardest to be successful here. I actually felt real bad that he didn't succeed here but not after the way he went out.

All I know is we need a friggin break when it comes to our head coach position!!! Since 1979...

Fairbanks - one of the worst coaches in CU history
Mac - Best coach in CU history retires soon after signing a 15 year extension
Skippy - Starts the downward trend and runs off to UW
Barney - A great coach who should have been kept away from the press except on gamedays
Juice box - horrible coach
Embo - worst coach in CU history
New Mac - We shall see

That's 2 good coaches in 6 tries and a we'll see. And the 3 of the 4 misses were 3 of the worst coaches in CU history. Not good!

AxrngIICEAE0nom.jpg:large
He looks like he's about to get gored there.

The reason why some people are "happy" about this outcome is because it means we aren't crazy. He was a bad coach. Embree was so bad that he made us wonder if Hawkins was actually decent and that our failures are not (at least partially, possibly substantially) tied to coaching.

I don't hate him either. He has some good characteristics as a human being.

At the same time he set himself up for ridicule by his own actions.

He is the one who blamed Barnett claiming that the program was burned to the ground. I can guarantee that Barnett for all his faults left more major conference level players on the roster for Hawk than Hawk left JE.

He is the one who insisted on trying to turn his son into the hero, in the process ignoring the other players on the team including burning Tyler Hansens eligibility while playing yo-yo QBs.

He is the one who constantly blew smoke like the 8-10 plays away line, the little things line, the horn's out line. He is the one who spent every spring practice and camp with the years "new plan" only to abandon it for chaos before halftime of the first game each year.

He is the one who recruited classes that were an even mix of kids who weren't good enough and did stay and kids who were good enough who didn't stay.

He is the one who repeatedly implied that the fans had no idea what was going on while being completely clueless himself. The one who was arrogant and dismissive towards the press and the fans while "leading" us to such stellar moments as the Akron game, the Montana State game, the Missouri disasters, the Iowa State collapse, the Kansas disaster, etc. etc. etc, etc.

He is the one who threw out decades worth of traditions without replacing them with anything except smoke, mirrors, and phoney sayings.

After reading this, F*** I hate DH!!! :cry:

Yeah the guy did suck, I never denied that. The last thing on your list especially tears me up.

Hawkins has always been full of ****. It had its charm when he was winning. But reading some of the blasts from the past, he comes across like such a boob.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/13/sports/ncaafootball/13colleges.html?_r=0
The ONLY problem I had with the Hawkins hire from the get go, everything else seemed legit, was Bohn tried to hire a guy who was the right fit for "Boulder" instead of finding the right guy for the program. MB kept saying the fit was right for the town(basically appeal to the hippies and liberals) because he was so obsessed with repairing CU's image after the kicker thing. The best way to do that would've just hired the right guy and started winning. Seems like MB didn't do his homework on the JuiceBox Hero either. I'll never forget Boise fans coming on the DC and saying thank you for taking JB away and leaving them with the Peterson. I attributed it to sour grapes at the time, but wow has that ever proven to be true.

Last edited:
I am guessing none of you know Hawk personally. He is a good person. Awful football coach however. I will never say that I like him or respect him as a coach but as a man hes a decent dude. That is all.

I am guessing none of you know Hawk personally. He is a good person. Awful football coach however. I will never say that I like him or respect him as a coach but as a man hes a decent dude. That is all.

I think this is fair. Also, you're not 5'10" by any chance?

First line of my post.

Maybe he is. I have no reason to believe otherwise, but nobody here is commenting on Hawkins the man, we are making observations on Hawkins the coach, the man who almost single handedly drove CU to the lowest depths it has ever known. I really don't care if my barber is a good husband, father or poker player. I want a good haircut, that is why I go to him. Same thing with a coach, to a large extent, I don't care if he pays his mortgage on time, has a good relationship with his mother in law etc. He was in a high profile, high pay position with the institution I have a connection with and he failed miserably.

Maybe he is. I have no reason to believe otherwise, but nobody here is commenting on Hawkins the man, we are making observations on Hawkins the coach, the man who almost single handedly drove CU to the lowest depths it has ever known. I really don't care if my barber is a good husband, father or poker player. I want a good haircut, that is why I go to him. Same thing with a coach, to a large extent, I don't care if he pays his mortgage on time, has a good relationship with his mother in law etc. He was in a high profile, high pay position with the institution I have a connection with and he failed miserably.

Your hair looks stupid.

Dan Hawkins does not share your desire for a quality haircut.

Dan is going to be just fine. I hear he has already landed a gig coaching intramurals with his brother.

Dan is going to be just fine. I hear he has already landed a gig coaching intramurals with his brother.

I met his brother on the light rail after the 2007 CSU game, so everybody was still upbeat about Dan at that time. He talked about how agressive and competitive Dan was. I'm thinking that he actually used to be which is why his first head coaching gig at the D-3 level was so successful, but then he started doing all that Zen crap that simply has no place in football and lost his edge.

I've got nothing against that little girl but I'm not above hating kids

[video=youtube;C_ZS11fc_Go]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ZS11fc_Go[/video]

Back