What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dan Mullen To Interview ??

What the hell is KGNU, and how would it have any information grounded in fact regarding this?

It's the independent community radio station in Boulder. They're my go to source when I can't get Independence Community College on the line.

not sure i believe this.. BUT if you think this through if they were going after the likes of deruyter or mcinyyre..we would have had a coach already

I would LMAO if KGNU scooped Rivals, the BDC, the DP, ESPN, and all the rest of the supposive sports media pros on this deal.

Well I don't know if this all that far-fetched. Ringo (FWIW) is on record from a tweet on Nov. 30th that we are interested in Mullen.

That we would be interested in Mullen is not a stretch of course. So let's take that as a likely fact.

So the question is would he be interested in CU enough to take an interview?

If he doesn't see himself as a lifer at MSU (which by many accounts I have read, he doesn't) than it is perfectly reasonable he'd be interested in an interview with CU.

We supposedly have much better financial commitment now, Pac 12 is a good conference where he could see himself at Colorado someday in a few years competing for Pac 12 championships (which is hard for him to see at MSU).

I think for those reasons, if CU went after him, he would be open to an interview. What does he lose? He may just want to kick the tires to see what the market will bear for him. Who knows maybe he had his hat in the ring for one or more of the open SEC jobs and didn't get it?

So, would CU want to interview him? Hell yes
Would he want to interview with us? I think that is reasonable.
Would he take an offer from CU? Doubtful but not impossible

The SEC fan boards have already lit up on this reported news. My favourite so far:

Awesome. Now Butch Jones will leave UT and head to Miss St?

:rofl:

The SEC fan boards have already lit up on this reported news. My favourite so far:

Awesome. Now Butch Jones will leave UT and head to Miss St?
:rofl:

Good. Everyone has seen that he will never have any real commitment to any school just like Nueweasel, he's a traveling snake-oil man.

Last edited:
You don't understand how hard it is to win in Starkville.

Winning at Oregon is EASY. They have nearly unlimited funds.

What exactly has he done there that is so hard? They get a huge amount of money from tv, ESPN will overhype them whenever they are decent, he's 13-19 in conference and the only teams in the west he's beaten were at the bottom like Ole Miss and Arkansas and Auburn this year. I'm not saying that he's not a good coach, but to say he's instantly the best is ridiculous.

He's got Louisiana, Auburn and Alabama to compete with for starters. Mississippi State is a small little brother to Ole Miss for another.

In terms of recruiting, he has absolutely no sales pitch to go up against Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, LSU, and Auburn. MSU is small time in comparison. MSU is like Oregon State. Not a great school and a major little brother to more famous siblings.

I would venture that he's done a good job in getting them good. Like top 25 level good, going bowling, etc.

To get to that next level seems improbable. Just can't get the top guys.

CU? He can do what he did at MSU and get us good again. Can he get us great? Can anyone? I think even Mac had the benefit of USC sucking and Oregon being poor back then.... Getting great will be a discussion for another year in the future.

Last edited:
He's got Louisiana, Auburn and Alabama to compete with for starters. Mississippi State is a small little brother to Ole Miss for another.

In terms of recruiting, he has absolutely no sales pitch to go up against Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, LSU, and Auburn. MSU is small time in comparison. MSU is like Oregon State. Not a great school and a major little brother to more famous siblings.

I would venture that he's done a good job in getting them good. Like top 25 level good, going bowling, etc.

To get to that next level seems improbable. Just can't get the top guys.

CU? He can do what he did at MSU and get us good again. Can he get us great? Can anyone? I think even Mac had the benefit of USC sucking and Oregon being poor back then.... Getting great will be a discussion for another year in the future.

There's more than enough players in that part of the country and if he's that amazing of a coach as the other poster suggested, he should have no problem. I agree with what you're saying, it was more in response to the other poster.

CU and Mississippi State grad here. I really don't see this happening. Mullen is trying to build a program at MSU, and the fan support there is light years ahead of where CU is now. I think he and his wife are very happy in Starkville, and while State will always have to deal with the murderer's row of Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas and now A&M, Mullen can win 6-9 games per year and keep the fanbase pretty happy.

He'd have to deal with raised expectations, a somewhat hostile local community (Starkville is fully behind the football program), a poor base for recruiting, and dealing with Bohn and the administration at CU. I can't see Mullen leaving the SEC for this.

I think the Buffs will do best with someone like Mike MacIntyre.

CU and Mississippi State grad here. I really don't see this happening. Mullen is trying to build a program at MSU, and the fan support there is light years ahead of where CU is now. I think he and his wife are very happy in Starkville, and while State will always have to deal with the murderer's row of Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas and now A&M, Mullen can win 6-9 games per year and keep the fanbase pretty happy.

He'd have to deal with raised expectations, a somewhat hostile local community (Starkville is fully behind the football program), a poor base for recruiting, and dealing with Bohn and the administration at CU. I can't see Mullen leaving the SEC for this.

***hole. Why did you have to come and break up our party with logic and reason :lol:

If he is someone who at 40 years old is satisfied with his career being to win 6-9 games a year, never compete for a championship, and have a nice quality of life... then I wouldn't want CU to hire him anyway. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it if someone is built that way, but it's not what CU needs.

the fan support there is light years ahead of where CU is now. I think he and his wife are very happy in Starkville,

Oh yeah, the whole adult population of the burg of Boardtown is "fully behind him" (which wouldn't fill the east side of Folsom on a bad day).

And if he and his wife are happy living in a town where the BIG events are the Magnolia Film Festival, followed by the Cotton District Arts Festival.....well, gee.......how can Boulder and the metro Denver area compete with that???

If that's Dan's aspiration, let him stay there. Maybe next year he can be King of the Dudy Gras Parade?

Good post. Under normal circumstances, I can't see CU stealing a guy that is having success in the SEC. With that said, Colorado has the financial committment to go head to head with MSU as well as not playing in a Conference where you have Florida, Georgia, LSU, Alabama and South Carolina, not to mention being second fiddle in your own state. I would have never thought Tuberville would leave the Big 12 for the Big East and this would be a much more lateral move than that.

Doubtful he would feign interest in CU for leverage where he is. He has too much character for that.

MT @matthewcstevens In a text response to The Dispatch, MSU coach Dan Mullen confirmed reports connecting him to CU have no truth to them.

An interesting thing with Mullen is that 2 of his key staffers have CO ties. Tim Brewster, the former Minnesota HC, is on staff and was a former assistant with the Broncos. He recruited CO while at UM. Also on staff is DC Chris Wilson, who was DL coach at CU from 2000-2004. With Mullen and some other staffers having coached at Utah under Urban, this is a solid fit. He doesn't exactly have a typical SEC staff.

Back