What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darian Hagan Talks Recruiting

This thread reminds me of why I majored in finance. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:
I think these boards are great at attracting people with ADD.

It reminds me of...ooo look, lightning, I like li...and that reminds me of a hike I took with...and oh crap, forgot to feed the cat....

I think these boards are great at attracting people with ADD.

It reminds me of...ooo look, lightning, I like li...and that reminds me of a hike I took with...and oh crap, forgot to feed the cat....

You stole that right off of the Allbuffs missions statement page.

Self-Esteem = esteem for self (i.e., having a positive or negative view of yourself)

Self-Respect = respect for self (i.e., accepting yourself and placing value on that)

Both are important. And both should be driven through internal versus external forces. If either is driven by external forces, the foundation is weak and the consequences are severe.

My point is that that there has been societal buy-in on external self-esteem, while only internal self-esteem can create that deep and lasting foundation.

In the end, the endpoint is really Self-Actualization -- which comes about from having built the right foundation of Self-Esteem and Self-Respect.

As an educator, though not on the elementary or pre-K level I would say Nick's definition is a good summation of the professional concensus on the terms. When I got into education in the late 1980's we were just coming off the first big wave of the idea that all problems would be solved if we just "gave kids self-esteem." Schools tried to take aout competitive elements because they figured that if kids never lost they would feel like winners and like themselves. They tried to remove any form of criticism because they didn't want the kids hearing negative feedback. Failure could never happen because the kids would think badly about themselves and have low self-esteem so opportunities to fail were removed.

I didn't buy it then and I buy it even less now. Self-esteem isn't something that is inherent and it is not something that is given. It is something that can be grown and formed by a succession of real successes in situations that present challenges. It comes from overcoming challenges and accomplishing more than the kid thought or expected to overcome. By nature this means that things will be appropriately difficult and the kid will sometimes fail, but that failure can be overcomeand when it is the kid learns that they have it within themselves to overcome things that are difficult.

As educators, and as parents, we cannot give kids self-esteem. We can provide them the opportunities to earn and develop that self-esteem and support them in that task. We can help them to understand a process their successes and the challenges they have not yet overcome but ultimately it comes from within.

Recently, over the past few years I have been more interested in another educational idea that I think is a huge determinant of success, both academically and in life. It is the idea of mindset, which as described by the developers says that kids generally fall into one of two catagories. One of those catagories is the fixed mindset which says they believe that their ability to succeed is based on their inherent talents and abilities. I'm good at math because I'm just smart at that and I'm bad at English because that is just the way I am. This tends to turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy that is very hard to overcome. "I can't do fractions and I never will be able to do fractions because I am just stupid at math so why bother to even try."

The other mindset is the growth mindset which equates success and failure not with talent but with personal actions and effort. This leads to the idea that if a kid puts his/her focus on something and does the right work on it with enough effort they can succeed. The only question then becomes the willingness and interest in putting out the effort. Success is equated with action. "Calculus was hard but I knew if I just did the homework and got some help I would get it and now it makes sense."

The best resource on this is a book that is written for educators but I would also recommend to interested parents. Mindset, The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck. I can also see this book being very helpful to people in management positions who are frustrated with their employees failure or resistance to adapt to change or new challenges.

I love the mindset stuff. Not all of us have the innate ability to be Picasso, but if we work at it we can become pretty decent at drawing and enjoy doing it.

I love the mindset stuff. Not all of us have the innate ability to be Picasso, but if we work at it we can become pretty decent at drawing and enjoy doing it.

The really important part with kids is to emphasize the process and the work, to praise or criticize the effort not what could be looked at as inherent characteristics. As an example the response to a kids submission would be "That looks great, you obviously put a lot of work and concentration into that." instead of "That looks great, you are very talented." On the other side the response would be "That doesn't quite meet the quality you can do, did you put the effort into it that you should have." instead of "That doesn't meet the expectations, you aren't very good at this work are you?" The message always needs to be that the results are determined by effort, not by inherent characteristics. We avoid "You're smart" and replace it with "Your hard work shows."

There still are differences in individual talents but the effort usually has a lot more to do with the outcome than the talent. As you say I will never be a Picasso (definately not a DiVinci) but I can get much better than I am. Not every kid can be great at everything but they can be better at what they put the effort into making themselves better at.

Last edited:

Would you think to match your home-grown painting skills against a classical artist? Probably not, but that's just what a well-intentioned woman in her 80s did recently in Spain.

The three photos above tell the tale. The image on the left is the original work, a century-old oil painting of Christ called "Ecce Homo (Behold the Man)" that was painted on a column inside a church near Zaragoza, Spain, by artist Elias Garcia Martinez.
Over the years, the work began to deteriorate, as shown in the second image. According to the Centre de Estudios Borjanos, the unnamed amateur artist (without permission from the church, needless to say) thought she could improve the work and set to work with paints and brushes. The third picture is the result.

g-ent-120822-elias-garcia.photoblog500.jpg

http://todayentertainment.today.com/_news/2012/08/22/13417610-i-can-paint-that-wait-no-i-cant-amateur-artist-messes-up-century-old-artwork?lite%2F

Back