What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrell Scott to Punt?...

do this out of spread punt formation and let him pick a hole. Having an athlete back there gives the defense pause and delays their ability to set up a return. It is good gamesmanship.

Totally off subject here..

I was watching some of the video of Rodney Stewart.

Was it just me, or was he lined up about 10 yards back?? Seemed like he was WAY back there.

I don't like it. Why place your potential star RB in a situation where he can get completely clobbered?
What do you think happens every time he runs between the tackles? The rationale behind that has never resonated with me. Football players play football. Every time they line up and snap the ball there is a very real risk of injury. As long as DS is in the game and being used, its an acceptable risk.

i'm in the 'this is a stupid idea' category. punters already have a big bulls-eye on their jersey after the returner catches the ball and tries to do something with it. the punter is fair game once the return is on, is he not? it's just a stupid risk. and sorry, but isn't our punter still matt dilallo? it's our field goal unit that will suck big-time this year, not our punting.

at least we won't have to worry about it till our game against eastern washington. i don't suspect we will have a fourth down until then.
Sorry . . . . but when was the last time you remember a punter with a catastrophic injury. When your biggest injury concern is whether you will pull a hammy in your kicking leg on a cold day, the bullseye just isn't there.

What do you think happens every time he runs between the tackles? The rationale behind that has never resonated with me. Football players play football. Every time they line up and snap the ball there is a very real risk of injury. As long as DS is in the game and being used, its an acceptable risk.

There is a huge difference. When he is running the ball he is looking up field and can prepare for the hit. Obviously there is still risk.

When he is punting the ball, he is standing on one leg with his other leg extending forward. That is no position to be taking a hit. It seems obvious to me that they aren't comparable situations.

Isn't that taking a dive in what-the-rest-of-the-world-calls-football?

:smile2: I don't know much about that game, other than to scream GOOOOAAAAAALLLL every six hours or so...

I just like the strategery aspect of it:wink2: Anything that delays a defense from getting to their assignment is a good thing.

There is a huge difference. When he is running the ball he is looking up field and can prepare for the hit. Obviously there is still risk.

When he is punting the ball, he is standing on one leg with his other leg extending forward. That is no position to be taking a hit. It seems obvious to me that they aren't comparable situations.
Not going to get into a pissing match about punters. Can you name one who suffered a serious injury in the last two years? Better yet, can you name one? As a lineman I have a healthy and experience-nurtured disregard and lack of respect for the "obvious" risks faced by punters. The risk back there is no greater than the risk up front every snap. Actually, you are right, they aren't comparable situations. The punter is a hell of lot safer back there and I've got the scars to prove it.

Not going to get into a pissing match about punters. Can you name one who suffered a serious injury in the last two years? Better yet, can you name one? As a lineman I have a healthy and experience-nurtured disregard and lack of respect for the "obvious" risks faced by punters. The risk back there is no greater than the risk up front every snap. Actually, you are right, they aren't comparable situations. The punter is a hell of lot safer back there and I've got the scars to prove it.

Yeah, but it could be argued that you guys are just a "little" tougher than any of the "skill" guys. I mean, you guys could have your leg "Theisman"ed and still finish the play and argue to stay in the game. :thumbsup:

Especially becuase your supposed to hit him in scenario 1 but in number 2 you aren't allowed to and its a 15 yard penalty.

If the kid can punt, then I don't see a problem with it. But that's the real issue, isn't it? How well is he going to punt the ball when all of his practice is put into running the ball?

Count me in the group that says it's never going to happen unless it's against a scrub team, late in the game.

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but that doesn't remotely disprove my point. It does happen.

Especially becuase your supposed to hit him in scenario 1 but in number 2 you aren't allowed to and its a 15 yard penalty.

It happens, and I would argue it would happen more if you put your star RB in that situation. Just because it is a penalty doesn't it doesn't happen.

The other thing to consider is this, you OL are expecting and prepared for the other team to take shots at you. You can generally do a decent job of protecting yourself and also retaliating for any shenanigans. The punter has to focus on kicking and can't really do much to protect themselves from cheap shots. Not that they are usually worried about that. However, if you put, arguably, the best player on your entire roster back there the other team is going to have more incentive to take a run at him...15 yard penalty or not. Yes, teams can take shots at him when he's playing RB, but like I said, he's more prepared for that and he can do a good job of protecting himself and giving a bit of punishment of his own to the tackler (i.e. Walter Payton).

http://www.buffzone.com/blogs/buffzone-sports/2008/jul/22/scott/

"Hawkins said he might put Scott back to punt at times this season and going forward in his career because of the problems it will cause opponents. Of course, Scott will have to prove he can be an effective punter in those situations for the move to have maximum impact on punt return teams."

Scott at punter?:wow:

Geez, I think my blood pressure went up just reading this.. :lol:

Here's an IDEA, solder can run for a big guy,let him return punts!

Here's another idea, scott is a RB leave $hit alone. Have players actually play their positions. What a concept!

This post brought to you by.....kai maiava

I would be absolutely shocked if this idea ever comes to fruition. Seems like a cheap tactic to light some fire under DiLallo. You can never take what a football coach says to the media at face value because about 75% of it is pure, unadulterated bull****.

Here's an IDEA, solder can run for a big guy,let him return punts!

Here's another idea, scott is a RB leave alone. Have players actually play their positions. What a concept!

This post brought to you by.....kai maiava

I'm pretty sure he is still going to play RB.

The other thing to consider is this, you OL are expecting and prepared for the other team to take shots at you. You can generally do a decent job of protecting yourself and also retaliating for any shenanigans. The punter has to focus on kicking and can't really do much to protect themselves from cheap shots. Not that they are usually worried about that. However, if you put, arguably, the best player on your entire roster back there the other team is going to have more incentive to take a run at him...15 yard penalty or not. Yes, teams can take shots at him when he's playing RB, but like I said, he's more prepared for that and he can do a good job of protecting himself and giving a bit of punishment of his own to the tackler (i.e. Walter Payton).

thanks for saving me the typing ... deliberately taking out a punter is pointless, deliberately taking out a stud running back who sometimes lines up as a punter isn´t

I would be absolutely shocked if this idea ever comes to fruition. Seems like a cheap tactic to light some fire under DiLallo. You can never take what a football coach says to the media at face value because about 75% of it is pure, unadulterated bull****.

DiLallo doesn't worry me. I have no doubt Hawkins will use Scott in a punt formation, ideally against OU in the 2009 B12 championship game when a BCS birth is in play. Just hope this isn't used against CSU or other lesser teams as part of the regular playbook.

It is just an added dimension. In the spread punt, if you call the "dreaded" roll out because of pressure(up backs count the rushers and call roll away from the overload if necessary) if the punter can run it you let him. if he can throw, you release a wide open end, or he punts an aussie rules long roller...almost impossible to get a decent return.

Back