What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrell Scott to Punt?...

I am surprised by all the people who don't like this.

1. Kid can seriously punt. Its not a gimmick- he can boom the ball.

2. When we are around midfield- think of the options we are going to have. If the defense lines up right - he pooches it. If there is an opening- could set up for a big play.

3. At the very least- its going to create some havoc.

And dude is not going to get hurt any more punting than he is running the ball.

Its football- and if you have an advantage somewhere- you take it.

Last edited:
Going for it on fourth down was one of Hawk's weak points last year. Sometimes its a game of field position and a real punt with a real punter is the best play.

Brian Griese used to punt also (every time it was 3rd down and you really needed a play)

I am surprised by all the people who don't like this.

1. Kid can seriously punt. Its not a gimmick- he can boom the ball.

2. When we are around midfield- think of the options we are going to have. If the defense lines up right - he pooches it. If there is an opening- could set up for a big play.

3. At the very least- its going to create some havoc.

And dude is not going to get hurt any more punting than he is running the ball.

Its football- and if you have an advantage somewhere- you take it.

He really wasn't that good of a punter in HS. Averaged like 36 yards per.

Going for it on fourth down was one of Hawk's weak points last year. Sometimes its a game of field position and a real punt with a real punter is the best play.

Bingo..
Woohoo, we added a smart newbie at allbuffs.. Hawk's gameday coaching is usually given a pass by most around here.. For a coach that's 2-8 against his North rivals, its rather shocking and disturbing if you ask me.. (Have I mentioned this week how I'm still bitter
about losing last year to that laughingstock clown program up in Ames) (yeah don't forget 21-0 nothing lead)..

Welcome to the board..

Last edited:
He really wasn't that good of a punter in HS. Averaged like 36 yards per.

I over sold it a bit. But on the same token, DiLallo averaged 40.3 yards a punt as a HS senior. Not that far off.

My point being- he is more than capable of being back there every now and then when field position makes sense.

Of course he won't be taking DiLallo's job (who really regressed last year for some reason) - but it gives us a very scary option back there.

Bingo..
Woohoo, we added a smart newbie at allbuffs.. Hawk's gameday coaching is usually given a pass by most around here.. For a coach that's 2-8 against his North rivals, its rather shocking and disturbing if you ask me.. (Have I mentioned this week how I'm still bitter
about losing last year to that laughingstock clown program up in Ames) (yeah don't forget 21-0 nothing lead)..

Welcome to the board..

Yeah, no one but you is pissed about that ISU game. No one but you criticized Hawk for it.

(Hint: There were quite a few people who went off on Hawk for that game. We just didn't choose to be a bitchy drama queen about it like you do.)

Yea, Hawk has made mistakes, but I think overall, his gameday coaching is pretty good.

The ISU was obviously a huge blunder, but mistakes happen. If it becomes epidemic, than we can complain.

I want him to get the team in position to come out and play 4 quarters, and when teams like ASU hand them games on a plate, they need to take it.

. Hawk's gameday coaching is usually given a pass by most around here..

He admitted in retrospect that ISU go was a bad decision.

But thats how he coaches. And the end result is what people remember. Were you bitching about the 4th down go's against OU too?

Sorry . . . . but when was the last time you remember a punter with a catastrophic injury. When your biggest injury concern is whether you will pull a hammy in your kicking leg on a cold day, the bullseye just isn't there.

one example that comes to mind (though not a punter) was Michigan St. QB Drew Stanton. He was to inherit the starting QB spot the following year, but in the meantime he played special teams kickoff coverage. lo and behold, the final game of the year comes around and he completely ****s up his leg on some meaningless play, forcing him to miss the ENTIRE next season. fans and media were all over john l. smith for that one. Just because it's rare, doesn't mean it can't happen!

Football is a dangerous sport. even if him getting hurt has a small chance, no need to increase that chance, even slightly. just because getting struck by lightning has impossibly low odds doesn't mean you should go walking around in a thunderstorm with a 15 foot aluminum pole, either.

Were you bitching about the 4th down go's against OU too?

The situation was a little different in the OU game than the ISU game. The 4th down gos were necessary against OU, they were not against ISU. Not to beat the dead, buried and decomposed horse, but when you're ahead by 21 points to a team that had given up, you don't need to go for it on 4th down.

Sorry . . . . but when was the last time you remember a punter with a catastrophic injury.

OTOH, when is the last time a punter was a 5* running back? Punters may not routinely get hurt, but every time they kick they do put themselves in a completely vulnerable position. It might not be worth a 15 yard penalty to take a punter out for most teams, but a guy like DScott? Like the goldfish said, you'd have to at least think about it. :huh:

I also might feel a bit differently if this were USC we were talking about, with an endless parade of 5*s just waiting to sign up. In this case, if DScott does go down in the process of attempting another of CUs parade of punting game gimmicks, we are what you might call ****ed... :sad1:

I can't believe this thread is at 5 pages and counting. If D Scott goes in to punt, Hawk should be carted off to the loony bin. Not the next day. Not after the game, right there and then. On the spot. The guys in the white coats need to grab him and cart him away.

Oh Gods of Football, make the offseason go away soon, so that we do not suffer needlessly through moronic threads about our star RB going back to punt the ball.

Amen.

Last time I checked they had a penalty for that so most teams don't intentionally "clobber" the punter.
Fresno State does for punt return guys... Pat Hill coaches those thugs to take out the punt return guys while faircatching... I think Ericson does too...

I remember watching those teams tee off on our guys... take the 15 yds and laugh the whole time

Fresno State does for punt return guys... Pat Hill coaches those thugs to take out the punt return guys while faircatching... I think Ericson does too...

I remember watching those teams tee off on our guys... take the 15 yds and laugh the whole time

I have the same memory--some ASU punk with his punk buddy pointing to the jumbo-tron, laughing and nudging after violently clotheslining McBride. Sportswriters say Ericson likes his teams to "play loose". Ericson is bad for college football, in my opinion.

In spread punt formation the rush can't get there to hit the punter. If they overload the interior you roll-run or pass to the open side. if the team rushes 11 you quick roll and kick a worm burner... 1 returner back, you have 7 fire-breathers running their lanes to tackle him. DS or not, spread punt works. I got the details from a former South Carolina coach and have had one punt blocked in 5 years, and that was because the punter was trying to be cute-a mistake he only got to make once. He watched the JV punter from then on.

The situation was a little different in the OU game than the ISU game. The 4th down gos were necessary against OU, they were not against ISU. Not to beat the dead, buried and decomposed horse, but when you're ahead by 21 points to a team that had given up, you don't need to go for it on 4th down.

Especially deep in your own territory. I'm a big hawk believer. but that was stupid.

Hawk is just ****ing with the other eleven coache's heads. I have no doubt that he will, on occasion, line Darrel up to punt. He can run out his offense on fourth down as if they are going for it and then have Darrel either drop back into punt formation or quick kick.

Hey, Elway punted on occasion too, remember.

Based on his high school stats, I don't think DS is a great punter. Serviceable maybe. Hawk just wants his opponents to have to deal with the possiblity. He'll show it enough to keep in in the opposing coach's head.

Hawk is just ****ing with the other eleven coache's heads. I have no doubt that he will, on occasion, line Darrel up to punt. He can run out his offense on fourth down as if they are going for it and then have Darrel either drop back into punt formation or quick kick.

Hey, Elway punted on occasion too, remember.

Based on his high school stats, I don't think DS is a great punter. Serviceable maybe. Hawk just wants his opponents to have to deal with the possiblity. He'll show it enough to keep in in the opposing coach's head.

Personally I think you hit the nail on the head and this is exactly what will end up happening. Even though it's gonna be heart attack inducing for us as fans, just knowing that Scott could play this role will probably cause teams to focus a little more on their special teams in the week leading up to playing us. Darrell's potential to turn up in the backfield on 4th down could really wreak some havoc and I'll enjoy watching opposing teams squirm.

Wasn't it at just about midfield? I actually don't think the decision was that bad.

In the ISU game, we were about on the 30. In the KSU game we were at midfield when we went for it right before halftime. Your own 30 is pushing your luck a little too much.

In the ISU game, we were about on the 30. In the KSU game we were at midfield when we went for it right before halftime. Your own 30 is pushing your luck a little too much.

It was our own 43, but same difference. Bad call, time to move on.

Back