What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

David Hill Can Save the Big 12 and Pac-10

Nice job Scotty. You've effectively separated the real issues from the emotional ones.

I particularly liked this gem, tucked away in a place that in the eyes of a non-football fan it shouldn't belong: "His wife is from Nebraska and is an Ohio State alum." On any other topic, that would be known as a non-sequiter!

Nice job Scotty. You've effectively separated the real issues from the emotional ones.

I particularly liked this gem, tucked away in a place that in the eyes of a non-football fan it shouldn't belong: "His wife is from Nebraska and is an Ohio State alum." On any other topic, that would be known as a non-sequiter!

HAHA Thanks Walrus!

I had several different "closings" to the article, one of which was for David Hill to do it for the "Missus" but elected to change it.

Thanks again reading the article!

Tons of good info and real interesting stuff. (After reading it, I decided to register at bleacherreport. I had thought that site was just a re-hash of the content at cuatthegame, but not any more.)

I would say, though, that I really don't like the idea of a double-conference with cooperative television and whatnot between the Pac and the Big 12. I just don't believe the conferences have enough in common to make it work. That said, follow the money. Sometimes it makes strange bedfellows.

Finally, I think if the Pac expands that it will come down to CU plus Utah. I'd assume that New Mexico is a backup plan to Utah and expansion doesn't happen at all without CU. (The Pac would love to get Texas, but I'd be shocked if it happened.)

Ideally, though, I'd love to see 14 teams in the Pac (CU, Utah, New Mexico and BYU). Then, put all the Mountain time zone teams together plus either UCLA or USC for one division. Then, give each divisional team an annual game with someone from the other division so that, for example, USC and UCLA play every year and maybe CU gets Stanford. 2 more cross-divisional games played every 3 years instead of back-to-back years with 4 years off. With this setup, you have nine conference games while playing 7 teams every season and you get at least 1 game with the other 6 teams every 3 years.

My proposal would look like this:

Pacific Division
  • UCLA
  • California
  • Stanford
  • Oregon
  • Oregon State
  • Washington
  • Washington State

West Division
  • Arizona
  • Arizona State
  • Colorado
  • New Mexico
  • BYU
  • Utah
  • USC

The major wrench in the works for this would be BYU, obviously. As Scotty pointed out in his blogs, it doubles up the SLC market so it repeats some of the problems the existing Pac configuration has caused for securing premium tv deals (in a way, they have 10 teams but only 5 markets). Add in the religious conservatism as a cultural misfit, the refusal to play on Sundays as a scheduling problem, the lack of academic freedom for professors, and the less prestigious ranking for graduate research... and BYU becomes a very tough sell for a unanimous vote of the current Pac members. One thing working in its favor that Scotty brought up when discussing Hawaii (and I hadn't considered)... the Pac wants the television sets in Hawaii, the Pacific Islands and even Asia. BYU, with the success of its missionary work in those areas, delivers better than maybe anyone (including Hawaii).

Once again, thanks Scotty. Lots of food for thought. :thumbsup:

i don't see USC or UCLA signing off on being the token non-MST team in a division that doesn't include any original Pac 8 members.

Tons of good info and real interesting stuff. (After reading it, I decided to register at bleacherreport. I had thought that site was just a re-hash of the content at cuatthegame, but not any more.)
The major wrench in the works for this would be BYU, obviously. As Scotty pointed out in his blogs, it doubles up the SLC market so it repeats some of the problems the existing Pac configuration has caused for securing premium tv deals (in a way, they have 10 teams but only 5 markets). Add in the religious conservatism as a cultural misfit, the refusal to play on Sundays as a scheduling problem, the lack of academic freedom for professors, and the less prestigious ranking for graduate research... and BYU becomes a very tough sell for a unanimous vote of the current Pac members. One thing working in its favor that Scotty brought up when discussing Hawaii (and I hadn't considered)... the Pac wants the television sets in Hawaii, the Pacific Islands and even Asia. BYU, with the success of its missionary work in those areas, delivers better than maybe anyone (including Hawaii).

Once again, thanks Scotty. Lots of food for thought. :thumbsup:

Thanks Nik, would be glad to read any articles that you write for BleacherReport. Getting some more CU focused content on their would be great. They have syndication deals with CBS Sports, USA Today etc for good articles. Right now CU @ the Game pretty much does all the posting , which is good, but developing a better community of writers would be great!

i don't see USC or UCLA signing off on being the token non-MST team in a division that doesn't include any original Pac 8 members.

Exactly, would a setup like that cause that school to vote "no" and squash the whole expansion plan? maybe

There isn't too many "perfect fits" for the Pac-10 expansion plan (basically Texas/CU), which is why I researched the conference partnership plan.

Back