What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Deadspin story on BYU's honor code

dply

Doble hoja
Club Member
Great reading:

In the last two months, BYU has become a symbol of righteousness in college sports, thanks to the school's strict adherence to its honor code and the tenets of the Mormon faith. A look at nearly two decades of honor code violations paints a very different picture. Since 1993, we've found, at least 70 BYU Cougars have run afoul of the honor code. Eighty percent were minorities. Sixty percent were black. This is "America's team"?

http://deadspin.com/#!5791461

I would bet that the numbers across DIV I universities are similar. Across the US Black males account for all of 4.2 percent of the general undergrad enrollment. This is no surprise.

This article further demonstrates the bias against LDS. Is the author from Colorado?

How does BYU recruit anyone who's not LDS? Come to Provo to play football: five years of no sex, no alcohol, no caffeine--or five years of lying about it.

Wouldn't the players BYU recruits that aren't LDS (minorities or not) the most likely to violate the honor code? Not surprising.

How does BYU recruit anyone who's not LDS? Come to Provo to play football: five years of no sex, no alcohol, no caffeine--or five years of lying about it.

I have always wondered the same thing.

i have a cousin who played baseball at Oral Roberts when they were an NCAA team. kind of the same thing, a lot of codes and behavior rules. he said it wasn't too bad....would seem awful to me. still lives in Tulsa.

My gut feeling is BYU is a dead program walking under the current direction they are going. I can honestly see them being like Army/Navy in the coming 10-15 years.

My gut feeling is BYU is a dead program walking under the current direction they are going. I can honestly see them being like Army/Navy in the coming 10-15 years.

hmm. nah. they got enough money coming their way to keep them afloat. But they won't stay independent forever.

After reading this, I decided to do some reading on Mormonism and the "Curse of Cain". Ugh.

It does sound like they've made significant strides in the past 25 years, though.

Just read something about how BYU thinks they are going for the Nat Champ this year. After I got done laughing I began to wonder. They were previously in the MWC which is not a BCS conference right? Now that they are independent can they get into a BCS game? Notre Dame can I suppose. How does the BCS deal with indie teams.

As for the article, I am sure that the non mormon (black) students are more likely to run afoul of the honor code since normal humans like coffee and beer and sex. So no surprise there. It was hard to tell what was sour grapes from some of the ex students concerning "they never told me about the honor code" stuff. The other allegations about white/mormon students/athletes getting lighter or no sentencing was only given one example to support it. However, I would not be surprised to hear that it is true but it would be hard to prove. The revelations about the kids partying and drinking is no surprise. I grew up in a small mormon town and when I came back to visit all of my friends were smoking and drinking like standard teenagers.

The article just reinforced what I had always wondered. Why in gods name would you go to BYU if you were not mormon? Seems like more and more people are figuring this out. I agree that if they stay independent and cannot recruit outside of their religion the program is slowly driving off of a cliff.

Last edited:
Just form the God & Country conference already.

G&C

Air Force Academy
Army
Baylor
Boston College
BYU
Navy
Notre Dame
Southern Methodist
Texas Christian

Just form the God & Country conference already.

G&C

Air Force Academy
Army
Baylor
Boston College
BYU
Navy
Notre Dame
Southern Methodist
Texas Christian

you might as well throw A&M in there as well to make an even number.

0.jpg

i have a cousin who played baseball at Oral Roberts when they were an NCAA team. kind of the same thing, a lot of codes and behavior rules. he said it wasn't too bad....would seem awful to me. still lives in Tulsa.

Oral :nod:

These are conservative numbers, compiled from media reports and interviews. In several cases, we could not confirm an honor code violation. In other cases, we could not establish the race or ethnicity of the athlete involved. We excluded those cases from our tally.

Ah... I'm so glad they confirmed with anectdotal evidence and removed data points that didn't fit their agenda. Well done, Deadspin!

Seriously, i don't give two ****s about BYU and their honor code, but that was a poorly written peice of trash. I want 10 minutes of my life back.

Need one more for the God Division.

Country Division: Air Force Academy, Army, Boston College, Navy, A&M, Citadel, VMI

God Division: Baylor, BYU, Notre Dame, Southern Methodist, Texas Christian, Oral

Need one more for the God Division.

Country Division: Air Force Academy, Army, Boston College, Navy, A&M, Citadel, VMI

God Division: Baylor, BYU, Notre Dame, Southern Methodist, Texas Christian, Oral

Texas thinks they are god. That count? Go with University of San Diego (Roman Catholic affiliation)

Back