What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Deaysean Rippy to transfer to CU

Man, some of you have your panties in a wad based on what I said. First of all, I don't care about the star rating system or how many offers he got...it is still does not mean that player will succeed. Second, the talent level in the Big East isn't at the BCS level so there is reason to be skeptical until we actually see the kid play. If he has a 20 tackle game against CSewe in his first game as a Buff, I will be excited as heck for the Buffs but our transfers haven't really panned out well for quite sometime so let's tread lightly on Rippy.

Man, some of you have your panties in a wad based on what I said. First of all, I don't care about the star rating system or how many offers he got...it is still does not mean that player will succeed. Second, the talent level in the Big East isn't at the BCS level so there is reason to be skeptical until we actually see the kid play. If he has a 20 tackle game against CSewe in his first game as a Buff, I will be excited as heck for the Buffs but our transfers haven't really panned out well for quite sometime so let's tread lightly on Rippy.

if he gets 20 tackles in his first game, everyone gets to punch you in the face.

Seriously, do you read anything that doesn't agree with your theories about life?

NB, it doesn't really matter whether you care or not, the fact is that players gain and keep stars and offers because of evaluations by football guys far smarter than you. The higher you get on the list, the better chance you have of succeeding. Of course there are other factors that play and there is no guarantee, duh.

Hard to say where Rippy's career will end up, but his skill set seems better suited to the PAC 12 than Pitt. Frankly, our LB crew lacks speed and Rippy has it in spades. It seems like he'd be perfect for the 4-2-5 formation, playing a hybrid LB/S role. Here's what was said about him back in 2012 when he signed with Pitt:

Deaysean Rippy appears to be the enigma of the Class of 2012, and the Sto-Rox senior should serve as a cautionary tale for recruits.A four-star prospect, Rippy had a scholarship offer withdrawn from the school he was going to choose. He is engaging, yet difficult to read; athletic, yet without a true position. At 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, he has the speed to rush the passer and can cover like a corner. What's difficult to project is if he's a linebacker or safety. Rippy was selected a Semper Fidelis All-American but not to the Tribune-Review Terrific 25. Some believe he has a world of potential, yet wonder why he was near-invisible in the WPIAL Class A final.

That boom-or-bust possibility is one reason Scout.com recruiting analyst Bob Lichtenfels calls Rippy "the most intriguing" prospect in the WPIAL.
"He's got four-star potential but sometimes plays like a three-star," Lichtenfels said. "Coaches either see it or they don't and think he's overrated. We all saw him enough to like him and rank him as one of the top 25 at his position. He's got a chance in college to become a pretty good football player. He's also got a chance to disappear and not do anything."

http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_778982.html#axzz2ZtgXzFgD

A little late to the thread, but I've been away.

I love this news. When the word came out that he tried to commit to us and we said no it was the first big WTF of the JE era for me. I took it to believe that the kid had social and GPA issues and continued on my merry way because that recruiting class still turned out decent, now I think it was probably just a personality conflict.

I'll take a chance on another Rippy with speed any day.

-Well, without Jordan Webb last year we don't win a game, so I consider that one a plus.
-Toney Clemons
-I was counting PRich, but if he doesn't fit your criteria for a transfer, so be it.
-Our probable starting QB this year is a transfer.
-Josh Ford transferred from KSU.
-Patterson from USC and Gray from Georgia caught a few passes and returned kicks, not sure they were that much of an upgrade, though.
-Tyson DeVree had a good senior year for us IIRC.
-Pugh didn't do anything, we can count him in the bad category.

I also meant that we have done "well" in that the guys we have taken haven't really hurt us. Pugh sucked up a scholarship for a couple years, Gray and Patterson didn't do much, but were also only here for a year. We also haven't taken guys that hurt out APR or got arrested (Webb being the exception). We have done well to not take guys that have proven unlikely to work out (Willingham, Berglund, Chris Martin, Mister Jones)

All of this leads me to believe it's unlikely that Rippy will come in, fail all of his classes ****ing our APR, while simultaneously getting arrested and making us look bad in the media. But, it's definitely a possibility.

Brandon Nicholas played NT alongside the Rabid Goldfish for a couple years and he was a Notre Dame transfer - I'd put him in the "good" category for sure.

Back