1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

December signing period for football (as an addition) recommended

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Wow!

This would be great.

An early football signing period in December has been formally recommended, potentially ending more than a decade of sometimes divisive discussion of the subject, CBSSports.com learned on Monday.
    If adopted, the sport's new initial signing period would be in place this year for the 2016 recruiting class. The new early date would begin Dec. 16 and last 72 hours. It would be in place for two years as an "experiment," before being reevaluated.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-football-signing-period-december-recommended

2. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Why December and not November like BBall? I assume it's because we are between the end of the season and the bowl games.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Probably just made the calendar simple by matching it up with the date they're already using for mid-year transfer JUCOs and early enrollees for their financial aid agreements.

I was actually hoping for a summer signing period right after the close of the junior year of high schools is over, including OVs to visit college campus the spring of the player's junior year. Maybe some day. But this is cool and gives us another date, so it adds to the fun for recruiting fans.

4. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I can already see the SEC schools and some others swooping in and signing a bunch of guys only to find "academic" reasons not to honor the schollies after they have disappointing senior seasons or when somebody else at their position jumps up with a better senior season.

What I have always thought would make sense is to have a limited early signing season. Allow each school to sign 5 guys (or 8 or even 10) but not close to a full class.

This would help level the playing field for schools and recruits because the kids would have a better idea where they stand. Lots of these coaches go in telling 45 kids that they are "the number one priority" and that "you are the guy we need at your position." The offers for the early signing period would let the truth come out in a lot of these cases. Is the kid important enough to the school to use one of their early slots on or offer him that. On the other hand did the school offer an early signing slot to somebody else at the kids position.