What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Decision Day #2 Thread

I could be totally off base here, but I am starting to get the impression that he's going to be our next coach. If he were going to stay, he would have said so by now. Plus, if he decides to stay, after stringing us along for two days, he's only hurting his chances at the next job. With the tenuous situation in the Big East, he'll want to move at some point. Don't make that any harder than it needs to be.

I'm thinking this as well. There is no conceivable reason for him to be doing all of this bowl game stuff without announcing that he will be back unless he is just doing it to help UC get through these pressers as a courtesy.

I don´t know guys. Your theory is plausible, but I think it is just as likely, if not more, that he has rejected our offer and informed Bohn and the Cinci admin but the info is on lockdown until Bohn can announce the new coach in the next 24-48 hrs so we don´t look like ****.

It is possible he has accepted and info is on lockdown until he can inform his team but he has had plenty of time to do that. I just don´t think BJ is our guy now and I am happy with any of the 5-8 names that have been floated. Let´s just make the announcement and start our return to prominence :lol:

I'd much rather be in Arkansas shoes. No news, then BOOM, news. What did Arky do that CU isn't? QUOTE]

Arky's a different country otherwise know as, "The Land of the Toothless". Plus, its run by a bunch of thieves: ala Willie Jeff and the PIAPS.

They can do what they want when it comes to Hawg foo'ball; Like stealing "Sloth" ("baby ruth") as their head coach!

I don´t know guys. Your theory is plausible, but I think it is just as likely, if not more, that he has rejected our offer and informed Bohn and the Cinci admin but the info is on lockdown until Bohn can announce the new coach in the next 24-48 hrs so we don´t look like ****.

It is possible he has accepted and info is on lockdown until he can inform his team but he has had plenty of time to do that. I just don´t think BJ is our guy now and I am happy with any of the 5-8 names that have been floated. Let´s just make the announcement and start our return to prominence :lol:

That would require participation by Cincy to help CUs image...I work in college athletics...not only is it near impossible for word not to be leaked (of anything), but there is no way Cincy cares about CU's image and has the info on lockdown. Heck once anyone within Cincy knows he is staying, that will spread fast.

I'm sure Wisconsin fans fealt the same way. I could care less if Jones goes to the SEC or to an elite program after us. He would only be able to do so because he got our program headed in the right direction. It's a process. Beggers can't be choosers.

A Springboard job is better than a bottom feeder job....and we are borderline between the two now.

Within 37 seconds of him calling a team meeting, the world will know. Maybe 42 seconds.

I would love that to be true. I don't believe it is possible to be so hush-hush after the media circus that just went on when Butch was in town.

That would require participation by Cincy to help CUs image...I work in college athletics...not only is it near impossible for word not to be leaked (of anything), but there is no way Cincy cares about CU's image and has the info on lockdown. Heck once anyone within Cincy knows he is staying, that will spread fast.

Yep, the delay hurts them too because it keeps their players/recruits in the dark and wondering about their futures. They want this thing to be over soon as much as we do.

He's definitely NOT staying. Would have said so by now.

1: he's lining up which assistants go, and waiting till UC finds a replacement to announce

2: or his agent said hold off till he sees Wisconsin or Tennessee

He's not staying.

I don't believe this would happen. Cinci would want to announce immediantly that he is staying for the stability of the program, the same thing we are talking about. Cinci doesn't owe us anything, and his loyalty would be with them. He either hasn't decided, is stalling to see if Wis comes calling, or they are going to announce soon.

He's definitely NOT staying. Would have said so by now.

1: he's lining up which assistants go, and waiting till UC finds a replacement to announce

2: or his agent said hold off till he sees Wisconsin or Tennessee

He's not staying.

Possibly not staying, but I don't think he's coming, either.

I happen to think that the counter from UC is still developing. Their commitment to further developing their facilities & final $$$ amount offered to BJ are fluid to match anything other schools offer.

BTW, I find it strange that we laud other schools who "take their football seriously" but criticize how they hire quickly. We're the ones manning the dumpster fire. BJ knew the offer parameters and is now taking his sweet ass time. Auburn interviewed Kirby Smart on Monday. He went home to think about their offer and Auburn hired Malzahn the next day. That is where we are with big time college football. We need a leader announced and a staff compiled so we can retain our best recruits and flip some others. I say we give him until Noon mountain today. After that, we need to get DeReuyter, etc. on a plane.

DP is reporting that Davis is flying to Charlotte for the Belk Bowl Game Presser with the SID from the school. That's not good news...

I see two possibilities with the next coach:
(1) Utter failure (which would be disastrous),
(2) Good coach that leads us to respectability (i.e. 7 or 8 win seasons), which is far better than the current state of affairs, but not terribly exciting.

In short, I don't really care if it's Jones or Deruyter or McIntyre. None of them strike me as a coach that could lead us to a Pac-12 title. Hope I'm wrong.

In any event, it would be nice for Jones to resolve this quickly.

I don't know how much more committed CU can be to football after Auburn signed their new coach to a contract that is $200k less than what CU offered Jones. That is a school that just won the National Championship and allegedly bought a QB for $180,000.00.

The $2.5 million figure is what Wisconsin was paying their coach as well.

I don't know how much more committed CU can be to football after Auburn signed their new coach to a contract that is $200k less than what CU offered Jones. That is a school that just won the National Championship and allegedly bought a QB for $180,000.00.

:lol:

Unless Bohn knows something we don't (Highly likely) and this is all part of the plan, we're screwed. Flying to Charlotte now? Gimme a break....

Does anyone think Cincy's AD is cockblocking CU as a strategy to make Jones miss out on his opportunity to leave? For example, the AD is whispering into Jones's ear saying that "boosters" are gathering at this moment to fund an increased salary and new facilities, only to hope that that CU gets tired of waiting on an answer and eventually dropping Jones, to which Cincy then conveniently tells Jones "oh by the way, we couldn't get the dough but we're sure glad to keep you on!". Amicrazy?

Whomever we get, it's a major upgrade. We hired a TE coach last time!

Its all about connections. Who does Bohn know to run this program? Scary thought.

I can go to any site and pull coaches that are trending (Jones, DeRuyter, MacIntyre). Is that all we can do, flavor of the month?

Well, as others have said on this board...once you get past the sure-fire guys (the Sabans, etc.) it's all a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to how well coaches will do. The circumstances and variables are all so different (in Boulder especially! As we all know...and coaches find out when they get there...:bang:).

I think it is very, very hard to gauge how well someone will do in Boulder. Obviously, having HC experience helps make us all feel a bit less apprehensive, but I doubt that any of us could really say which of 3 to 5 prospective CU hires (we all know the names that have been bantered around) would truly end up working out best. If Butch doesn't come, hopefully one of the other names will. In terms of what we know and can see now, I am not sure one is any better than the other. As long as we don't end up without a chair when the game of musical coaching chairs ends, we should have about as good a chance to compete as we ever had. You just hope we get lucky by chance and get the high card by the luck of the draw...(maybe the SJSU coach...someone who has built something from a cratered ash-heap?:lol: See how easy it is to decide from my perch that any one of these guys is the obvious better choice than any other? It's all just chance-taking. Let's hope after taking two chances previously that worked out poorly for us, we are due to get lucky...)

CU a "springboard job?" **** that. We do not want this being viewed as a springboard job.

we haven't had a winning season in 7 years... we've won 4 games in the past 2 years... we don't even get talked trash to - we are pitied... We are viewed as a 2nd tier or even 3rd tier program in the eyes of many, so yes, it is entirely plausible that this program is viewed as another springboard job to get a really good BCS job in the future.

Well they have to save some of that money for the recruits. It is the SEC after all.

we haven't had a winning season in 7 years... we've won 4 games in the past 2 years... we don't even get talked trash to - we are pitied... We are viewed as a 2nd tier or even 3rd tier program in the eyes of many, so yes, it is entirely plausible that this program is viewed as another springboard job to get a really good BCS job in the future.
You think so small! :lol: Here is the way I look at it. We are in one of the 4 most powerful conferences in football. We are about to pay a coaching staff more than the likes of USC. We are about to do a couple of hundred million dollars in upgrades. We fully expect the next coach to take us back to the elite status in which we belong. He will be the top 3 or 4 paid coaches in the PAC. If he does his job the way he is supposed to, we will not be a springboard.

Does anyone think Cincy's AD is cockblocking CU as a strategy to make Jones miss out on his opportunity to leave? For example, the AD is whispering into Jones's ear saying that "boosters" are gathering at this moment to fund an increased salary and new facilities, only to hope that that CU gets tired of waiting on an answer and eventually dropping Jones, to which Cincy then conveniently tells Jones "oh by the way, we couldn't get the dough but we're sure glad to keep you on!". Amicrazy?

I'm sure Jones will have a good idea of what Cincy can do and what Cincy cannot do when it comes to facilities.

At the moment CU feels like they have to overpay to show they are serious about committing to Football. I don't necessarily agree with the strategy but it is the course they have chosen. Of course the structure is important. The $2.5 million could be only $1.7 million with hard to achieve incentives for the additional $800,000.

You think so small! :lol: Here is the way I look at it. We are in one of the 4 most powerful conferences in football. We are about to pay a coaching staff more than the likes of USC. We are about to do a couple of hundred million dollars in upgrades. We fully expect the next coach to take us back to the elite status in which we belong. He will be the top 3 or 4 paid coaches in the PAC. If he does his job the way he is supposed to, we will not be a springboard.

Spoken like a true homer.

Except people consider this a good job right now and a great job with new facilities.

Back