What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Declining Student Attendance - It's a national thing

Crappy football and too many long stoppages are the reasons I don't get too excited to go anymore. The first quarter of the Oregon game took over an hour. While there were some fun plays, it's kind of agonizing to sit through a 3+ hour game when you know you're going to get crushed. Long time outs and slow reviews just kill my enthusiasm.

For Phase II of the Folsom project, RG needs to be very aware of these issues.

The focus has got to be on maximizing revenue. Capacity is not the way to do that these days. Premium seating and enhanced fan experience is the way to go.

So the renovation should look at chairbacks for all seats outside the student section, improvements to concessions / vending, more Club and Suite seating, beer sales, kid friendly seating area like the Rox has (no beer in Family Section or Student Section), etc. Folsom needs to be a venue where you want to bring business associates or the whole family.

If improvements to the west end and enclosure of the north end within this focus results in increased capacity, so be it. But I'm convinced that Folsom should stay between 50k and 60k -- and just be the best college stadium it can be at that size.

This!

nope. Doesn't mean I have to like having it all over my pants.

The beuaty of living in Colorado is that there are choices.
Denver Broncos = NFL at its highest level.
CU = BCS football (including top talent, maximum exposure, facilities arms race and $$$$$)
CSU = Mid-Major D1. Fewer crowds, less TV, step down in talent, but more local kids
AFA = Mid-Major D1. Like CSU, except with cadets from around the nation and tradition of a service academy.
UNC = FCS. Fewer scholarships, virtually no TV. More local kids playing
School of Mines = D2. More Student than Athlete.
CSU-Pueblo = D2. Pure love of the game.
High school football = your community under Friday night lights.

Some people wish there might more equality amongst these geographical neighbors. But not me.
Anyone who wants to watch football influenced by money or not influenced by ridiculous amounts of money or TV time outs have great options.

On the topic of live versus TV experience, I attended a UFC match a couple of years ago at the Hard Rock in Hollywood, FL. Decent venue, but the experience was awful mostly because of the ungodly delay between the undercard and the main matches. TV viewers see a constraint stream of fights, but that's not how it works live. Since they don't know how long each of the fights will actually last, they tape several in advance and then rearrange for the TV viewer as the evening wears on. For the live audience, it's hour long nothingness or getting hammered and broke on $18 cocktails.

The beuaty of living in Colorado is that there are choices.
Denver Broncos = NFL at its highest level.
CU = BCS football (including top talent, maximum exposure, facilities arms race and $$$$$)
CSU = Mid-Major D1. Fewer crowds, less TV, step down in talent, but more local kids
AFA = Mid-Major D1. Like CSU, except with cadets from around the nation and tradition of a service academy.
UNC = FCS. Fewer scholarships, virtually no TV. More local kids playing
School of Mines = D2. More Student than Athlete.
CSU-Pueblo = D2. Pure love of the game.
High school football = your community under Friday night lights.

Some people wish there might more equality amongst these geographical neighbors. But not me.
Anyone who wants to watch football influenced by money or not influenced by ridiculous amounts of money or TV time outs have great options.

True. I grew up watching CU (and high school level) so that's what I pay the most attention to. As a long time CU fan, I don't really want to go to the other schools for games, (except AFA - that's fun). I want to see CU. I've been going to games, at least 1 a year - some years all of them, for as long as I can remember. I was just whining a bit because the games have gotten longer and longer and I gave up season tickets because the schedules were so erratic that I only made it to 3/6 games the last year I had tickets. If the games were played on Saturdays in the afternoon, all the time, I could probably go all the time.

Of course this thread is really about how to get the students to attend. They may not care as much about when the game is played, but they will care about how long it is, how cold it is, and whether the team is winning.

If anyone wants to blow a gasket about our AD and its "outreach" to students... read RK's new piece. Ugh. http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1611615

According to this, the only way the AD communicates with students is emails sent at 2 AM, and they can't even email non-season ticket holding students.

As a wise man just told me: "FFS."

Back