What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Defense has QUIT on GREG BROWN

Agree. Recall Tyler and Cody laughing on the sideline vs somebody two years ago when we were getting torched by many TDs. Will never forget it. The real competitors do not find that humorous.

I'd like to hear from the "fire Brown" crowd exactly who they think we should hire instead, bearing in mind that:

1. CU pays its coaches well below average by BCS standards.

2. If you were an intelligent, self-respecting coach, would you take a job knowing that the previous coach was fired for failing to produce results in ONE year trying to work with sub-par talent and a myriad of injuries?

In other words Venables and Muschamp are not realistic options...

Jimmy,

I'm curious about how you see the defensive roster. If you were ASU's offensive coordinator, who on the Buffs would you be game planning to stay away from? Or, who would you at least think you'd be unable to exploit with certain matchups?

What I see from the defensive roster is undersized and slow players. I don't dispute that. But I also see 2 coaches that played a part in getting the talent (or not) in here on the staff and its proven now they can't coach their current players to play well. So exactly why should I support Greg Brown since A) he played a part in the talent that is here and B) our defense sucks ass and doesn't put up much of a fight during the game.

We finish 1-12 I really don't have a reason why Embree shouldn't look to make changes on the staff. This record would be the worst in the modern history of CU Football and we want to keep the same staff around for next year? Really, you want to see more of this on the defensive side of the ball?

What I see from the defensive roster is undersized and slow players. I don't dispute that. But I also see 2 coaches that played a part in getting the talent (or not) in here on the staff and its proven now they can't coach their current players to play well. So exactly why should I support Greg Brown since A) he played a part in the talent that is here and B) our defense sucks ass and doesn't put up much of a fight during the game.

We finish 1-12 I really don't have a reason why Embree shouldn't look to make changes on the staff. This record would be the worst in the modern history of CU Football and we want to keep the same staff around for next year? Really, you want to see more of this on the defensive side of the ball?
I like how you didn't mention injuries at all.

Not sure how 'tini is the only one really defending Brown. Truth is we were talking about how solid the D looked after the first few games despite the offense and special teams screwingg them over time and time again.

Injuries, lack of depth, and a 'fake' secondary have made the defense a joke. I don't think brown is necessarily a genius, but He hasn't done anything bad at this point and there is no other coordinator who could do any better. What would you do?!?

I think that's fair.

Brown and Cabral must accept some personal responsibility for the team not having more talent & depth inherited by Embree within their position groups or from their primary recruiting areas (Arizona and Hawaii, respectively). I do put some blame on Hawkins here because he had that policy of wanting to meet with a prospect before he'd allow a scholarship offer and that both delayed offers and cost us some guys due to him being weird and also not putting much effort to recruiting from the middle of the '09 season onward. Remember Hawkins trip to Hawaii right before NSD in 2010 to close the class and we ended up getting no one from the islands? Cabral set that table and Hawkins wasn't able to get us a meal. But even with all that, the guys we did get were too few and they're not helping us enough right now.

Fact is, they're both mediocre recruiters and neither is a great talent evaluator. They're on staff for their coaching. Both have great resumes in terms of being able to develop players. They've gotten a ton of productivity out of guys who didn't have elite athletic ability (Jeff Smart, Chap Brown) and they've also gotten the most out of guys who had what it took to be great (long list at both LB and DB).

The jury's still out on Brown as a DC, for sure. It's completely fair to say that he's learning on the job since he's never had complete responsibility for a defense. Arizona seemed to take a major step back this season (110th in points against) and Tui came with him, so it's probably a safe assumption that he did some really good things at UA last year. I think we have to recognize that he didn't have a lot of talent or depth to work with this season, has had to deal with a ton of injuries on top of that, and has been implementing a new defensive system in the midst of this that our players are not necessarily suited for.

That said, our defense has been awful. One thing I trust about Embree is that he is a straight shooter, understands that this is a bottom line business, and he does an extremely thorough evaluation of every team he's been a part of at the end of the season. Where he sees problems in Brown's and Cabral's job performance, he will address it. If they're not willing or able to improve these areas, he won't keep them on staff.

I think that's fair.

Brown and Cabral must accept some personal responsibility for the team not having more talent & depth inherited by Embree within their position groups or from their primary recruiting areas (Arizona and Hawaii, respectively). I do put some blame on Hawkins here because he had that policy of wanting to meet with a prospect before he'd allow a scholarship offer and that both delayed offers and cost us some guys due to him being weird and also not putting much effort to recruiting from the middle of the '09 season onward. Remember Hawkins trip to Hawaii right before NSD in 2010 to close the class and we ended up getting no one from the islands? Cabral set that table and Hawkins wasn't able to get us a meal. But even with all that, the guys we did get were too few and they're not helping us enough right now.

Fact is, they're both mediocre recruiters and neither is a great talent evaluator. They're on staff for their coaching. Both have great resumes in terms of being able to develop players. They've gotten a ton of productivity out of guys who didn't have elite athletic ability (Jeff Smart, Chap Brown) and they've also gotten the most out of guys who had what it took to be great (long list at both LB and DB).

The jury's still out on Brown as a DC, for sure. It's completely fair to say that he's learning on the job since he's never had complete responsibility for a defense. Arizona seemed to take a major step back this season (110th in points against) and Tui came with him, so it's probably a safe assumption that he did some really good things at UA last year. I think we have to recognize that he didn't have a lot of talent or depth to work with this season, has had to deal with a ton of injuries on top of that, and has been implementing a new defensive system in the midst of this that our players are not necessarily suited for.

That said, our defense has been awful. One thing I trust about Embree is that he is a straight shooter, understands that this is a bottom line business, and he does an extremely thorough evaluation of every team he's been a part of at the end of the season. Where he sees problems in Brown's and Cabral's job performance, he will address it. If they're not willing or able to improve these areas, he won't keep them on staff.

Great post, and I hope you're right.

Bad play calling and bad positioning from the players are all things that come with a young college football team with a new staff playing in a top-level conference. I can forgive that learning process.

Probably the thing that frustrates me the most with our defense is the absolute lack of tackling fundamentals. That is not forgiveable.

I put that equally on Brown, Tui, Cabral, McGhee, and all of our players. Even 2 and 3 star "diamonds in the rough" should know how to freaking tackle!

Maybe Embree will get a clue he needs a new DC

Why don't you start next week's rant today and save yourself some time? Not sure why you think any of the arguments on either side have changed since the last thread you started.

when did they ever start? I remember them trying to catch the fly'n hawai'n ? wasn't that the first game? can't quit, if you never start!

I can't really fault GB for play calling. Some folks on this board have said that he should limit the pass rush and sit back in a zone. We don't have the talent for that. He's playing to stop drives, not slow them down. The lack of talent forced his hand to take risk with blitzing.

I see alot of break downs, i see a lot of flaws in the play calling. We are trying to switch to a 34 defense. Very difficult defense to call, only a few people are truly good at it. I have my doubts about Brown calling the 34 defense, even with talent and speed on the field.

First, you need to start with a NT that can take on 2 OL and stop the run. We haven't had a great NT since the days of Joel Steed.

This turnaround will take time. Next year might even be worse as we will be starting all young kids but I bet we will have a better run team by the end of next season.

Why the **** is Brown so ****ing happy during post game hand shakes after his defense has their heads caved in. Wipe that **** eating grin off your fat ****ing face. Ass hat!

AMEN and AMEN!! That I do not get, especially because if you look at Embree the guy looks like he is getting teeth pulled sans novicane. That is one thing I love about Embree he shows his emotions and how livid he is. I don't care if he looks like a raving lunatic. At least he is showing something.

And while we are on the subject, yes the defense blows and gives up touchdowns on the first possesion of every game usually in less than 2 minutes but......

WHAT ABOUT THE ****ING OFFENSE! Why can we not ****ing score at all! we have some talent on that side of the ball, yes Prich and his brilliant twitter comments are hurt, yes Speedy is hurt, but come on guys, move the ball. Make a few plays, give the Defense a breather once in awhile. The offense is getting overlooked and sliding by not facing the complaints and I believe they suck just as bad.

All that said, yes I am coming out for the Arizona game, Go BUFFS!!!!

No playmakers and a line who can't get any push doesn't help, along with Hansen not being accurate on the deep ball.

Pretty boy swag

for the cal game, with the defense merely decimated with injuries, rather than being totally and catastrophically crippled by them, brown had the defense playing a very risky attack-first type of gameplan. he did this to cover the lack of speed in the secondary. since then, our speed has not improved back there. and, some of the guys are playing really hurt. i just don't know how you can evaluate the coaching job when we've had as bad a year as i can ever remember from an injury standpoint. and, we had little depth or athleticism to begin with. it isn't like there are a bunch of all-americans in the wings right now. altho the true frosh henderson is clearly already our best db.

vent if you want, but we've been hit by lightning, twice, on the same spot, and knute rockne couldn't coach them out of this mess.

for the cal game, with the defense merely decimated with injuries, rather than being totally and catastrophically crippled by them, brown had the defense playing a very risky attack-first type of gameplan. he did this to cover the lack of speed in the secondary. since then, our speed has not improved back there. and, some of the guys are playing really hurt. i just don't know how you can evaluate the coaching job when we've had as bad a year as i can ever remember from an injury standpoint. and, we had little depth or athleticism to begin with. it isn't like there are a bunch of all-americans in the wings right now. altho the true frosh henderson is clearly already our best db.

vent if you want, but we've been hit by lightning, twice, on the same spot, and knute rockne couldn't coach them out of this mess.

Excellent post.

I bolded the part I want to clarify.. Our pure speed is probably better. Our game speed is no better, though, because we have inexperienced guys who need to think too much about their assignments and also take bad angles. Veteran teams tend to play faster even if they're not faster.

Then it would behoove these defensive coaches to get out and recruit their asses off.

Frankly I don't know what talent is going to be around in 2012 that is going to be significantly better than what is at CU presently - unless CU plans to play true freshmen across the board next year.

Back