1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defense, special teams and cu staff...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by buffsyko, Sep 7, 2014.

1. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Hey tini, you were saying how much better the defense was going to be? This defense has two spots with no experience, DE. There is no reason why these guys should be worse than last year NONE. Special teams is a disaster. How about not letting umass start at the 50 every kickoff. This staff BLOWS. Can't recruit, DC is a joke.

2. mke1010

mke1010 Member

How bad does CU suck? Boise beat the BeJesus out of CSU in a very flattering score line for the Rams. Yet Mac and his crew made State look like world beaters last week. This coaching staff is bad. Not Embree bad but still very poor. Unfortunately, they can't be fired. We're going to have to stick with these guys for a couple more years otherwise 3 head coaches in 5 years pretty much seals our fate as a destination no one will come to.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  3. cu2x

cu2x Club Member Club Member

One of the worst moments in many years of watching Buff football: HCMM fist-pumping and jumping in the air after beating one of the crappiest teams ever. I guess it was clear to him, that this might be the only win of the year

I'm trying to follow the "HCMM deserves at least 2 more years" chant. Why? It was imperative to you guys that Embree leave after 2 (and a #36 recruiting class). That showed college football that CU wasn't willing to give a guy a fair opportunity - and they did it in a totally low-class manner (SI called it "stabbing in the back") which showed college football we had no respect for the head coach or his history at CU. Now, IF this was a bad hire and HCMM wins maybe 2 this year, it's "he deserves more years" - which would tell college football that CU now feels it's better to stick with a loser than admit you made a mistake.

The allbuffs/internet types who demanded Embree be forced out immediately and replaced with whoever we could get, have done more harm to CU football than anyone since Fairbanks

IMO

4. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

It's bad, but it wasn't a loss. You must be on some other message boards that I'm not aware of if you think people are clamoring for 2 more years for Mac. I would say most people are skeptical at best. If you want to continue this made-up Embree vs. the fanbase conflict, keep it up, it's entertaining that someone could be so bitter and delusional.

And if you think allbuffs got Embree fired, you need to get out more. It's jackasses like you that got Embree hired in the first place which unfortunately for him, he wasn't ready for. Being a Great Buff does not make you a great coach, but jock sniffers like yourself don't want to hear that.

CVilleBuff likes this.
  5. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

It's unbelievable that some are still banging the Embree drum.

6. gobuffs58

gobuffs58 Well-Known Member

embree ? boy i really miss the 10 false start penalties a game... or the qb sneak with the play clock winding down... embree and his staff were the poorest in the country. i have issues with some of the stuff going on right now but it isnt even close to the embree days where the whole operation was a joke!

7. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

8. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

Man, I didn't realize this until you told us! Crap!! Doooom!!

j/k Syko...nice to see you back.

9. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Terrible post

Oh and thanks for calling me out...again with the exact same question as last week, which I answered so go ahead and pound sand, ok?

10. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Drive by trolling, nothing to see here.

11. AllStarBuffs

AllStarBuffs Active Member

John Embree's CU coaching career can be summed up by one memorable play- Running a QB sneak on 1st and 10

AlferdJasper and tsarbomba like this.
  12. 90sBuff

90sBuff Club Member Club Member

What is up with the special teams coverage and constantly allowing teams to start at the 40-50 yard line. Against Pac 12 teams, that will be a nightmare since we already have such a hard time stopping teams.

On defense, is it the players?? the scheme?? The coaches??

13. 90sBuff

90sBuff Club Member Club Member

Also, Jon Embree is a great Buff. Embree cared about the kids he recruited. It may be hard to do, but I think his next best step would be to put his own emotions aside and rally behind CU. It would set a great example for our football players on how to handle adversity. Whether you think he should have been fired or retained, the one choice he still has is how he handles things going forward. The common factor behind Hawkins, Embree, HCMM and even Barnett is that they all were trying to recruit and lead a program while the admin sat by, watching the program deteriorate. Now each of those coaches brought their own problems too but let's face it, no one could turn this around without a commitment to athletics from the top.

Its only been 12 months roughly since RG came on board. We are finally seeing the facilities. I don't think RG is going to be hiring WAC, MAC, or MWC coaches like we had been doing for some time the past few years.

I want ant to win now too. Yesterday I again wanted MM fired. Fist pumps for beating UMASS? But I'll plan on a win next week. Or I'll just keep my head up cause we've got an AD who will fix this if needed, right??

14. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

15. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

jesus why the hell are people still talking about Embree? Sure he was a great Buff as a player but he was the worst head coach I've ever seen at any level. He was completely over his head and he surrounded himself with people with even less experience. The Embree hire was a desperation attempt to return to the glory years with a quick fix completely ignoring the fact that he didn't have anything close to enough experience to be a head coach. Anyone that didn't see the need to cut ties with Embree when we did has an agenda that does not include wining football games.

Then to top it off he threw the entire university under the bus after he was fired. Embree can go pound sand for all I care.

I see more out of MM coached teams than I did out of any of the Embree teams. At least under MM the team can line and actually get a play off. I'm fine with the MM hire. I'm no where at all happy with the play of the team but they show flashes of thing clicking and being able to do things. The fact that we are the youngest team in the Pac seems to be lost on many. People might not believe it but recruiting is also improving.

16. bigbang2

bigbang2 Typical, brain knowledge or the ability to have a

Over exaggeration.

Embo has coached the likes of Tony Gonzeles, Daniel Graham and Jordan Cameron and etc. He had a great win on the road against Utah with a bunch of freshmen as a first year coach.

17. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

You mean the team that lost 30 seniors? Yeah there were tons of freshman

18. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

will be singing the same tune about MM if we dont win another game w/o improvements? I dont think MM is the answer w/o some boost in a big program coordinator hire. his staff isnt getting it done. terrible recruiters, mediocre coaches. of course none of matters if distefano is still there to f uck things up and stand in the way of progress

19. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

For the people clamoring for Embree how about Hawkins? He was way more successful than Embree, should he still be coaching here?

20. bigbang2

But Hawkins was given about 5 years. Embree 2 years. I don't think Embo was a bad coach. The problem was the lack of talent and lack of facilities. Most coaches would struggle at CU under the current situation. But things are getting better with the new facilities construction. I still think we need to increase the budget for recruiting. Hire assistant coaches that are great recruiters. We also need to relax admission standards for Junior college transfers.

21. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

No. Embree was a bad coach. You aren't down 48 0 to Fresno early in the second quarter and losing to Sac St unless you're an awful coach.

22. CVilleBuff

Ever notice how Embree is the only career tight end coach to ever be hired as a HC? Our results were predictable. People not wearing black and gold glasses were laughing their asses off when we made that hire and they were quickly proven correct.

23. bigbang2

And McIntyre is also a bad coach, going 4-12 after leading San Jose state to a bowl game.

McINtyre is struggling to beat a Mac team like UMASS.

CU fans need to start facing reality, we lack the talent and the facilities to compete in the Pac 12. It is not about the coaching. But the program is on the right track. Mike McIntyre was a great hire. We are now building the facilities needed to build a great program.

24. CVilleBuff

It has zero to do with MacIntyre. Your assertion that Embree only failed because of facilities and lack of talent is utterly false. Embree did not have a ****ing clue. He couldn't coach the '72 Dolphins to a winning record in the Pac.

25. bigbang2

But he was not giving the opportunity to coach the 72 Dolphins. He was forced into a situation where he had to play a lot of freshman that were not physically or mentally ready to play College Football.

26. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

We aren't even at the point where we aren't competing in the P12. CSU is in the MWC and UMASS is in the MAC or something. We aren't lacking in talent compared to these two teams, we're lacking in coaching and execution, probably scheme as well.

27. Val

Val Active Member

Most reasonable Buff fans weren't expecting a winning season. I think the issue on that team was they really appeared to quit on JE that year. That's a major red flag. The SacSt and Fresno games really showed that imo.

28. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Pretty sure his point was it wouldn't have mattered if the dude had plenty of talent.

29. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Tim Brewster, just sayin'. Also, I think Les Miles was the TE coach of the Dallas Cowboys when he got the Okie Lite gig. I may be wrong, but it isn't unprecedented.

30. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Miles was also the OC under Simmons at Okie Light prior to that.