1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defensive 3 seconds

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by dply, Mar 19, 2011.

1. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Does this not exist in CBB? Cal had a player that just stayed in the paint the whole game. I yelled out once and the guy behind me said that it is only called on offense. I feel like an idot if that is true.

2. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

As far as I know, that is true.

3. MSBuff

MSBuff Well-Known Member

I would never call you an idot, but, unless they changed the rule very, very recently on defense he can stay there all he wants.

4. dply

Damn. I'm stupid. I need to learn the rules before I go off yelling at the refs. :lol:

5. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Haha

Zone defense is allowed in college. All 5 guys could stand in the paint for 30 seconds if they wanted to.

6. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

for dply's benefit... the defenders can stand outside the paint as well for 30 seconds if they want....

OUBuff likes this.
  7. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

As Junc and MSBuff mentioned, this is not a rule in college basketball. In the NBA they used to have illegal defense, which basically meant that you can't play zone defense or double-team a player without the ball. But now it's just a defensive 3-second call.

8. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Reminds me of my first NBA game as a kid. I was yelling at the refs to make a 5 seconds call when guys on offense were standing around forever without making a move. :lol:

Come to think of it, they really should add that rule to the NBA.

9. dply

I haven't really watched much CBB outside of March Madness before. I used to have season tickets to the nugs though so most of my B-ball knowledge comes from the NBA. I had an awesome time last night though. Bohn will have at least 2 more seats taken by season ticket holders next year.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to not make our fans look stupid in the future.

10. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

just want to clarify - it's no so much that in the NBA you can't be in the paint for three seconds. You can if you're guarding someone. You have to be I think within an arm's distance from an offensive player to be considered guarding him...unless the other guy has the ball. So a defender can technically in the paint for 24 seconds if his guy is standing just outside the paint.

11. dply

Yeah I knew that. That is actually why I was wondering about the CBB rules. It seems like whenever one of our players was defending they did what NBA players do and extend their arms towards the offensive player to show the ref "hey I'm on this guy."