1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DejaVu All Over Again

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by SanDiegoBuff, Oct 2, 2009.

1. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Lefhandbuff over at "that other board" dug this up... i thought i twas appropriate though, so I'm bringing it over here. As much as things change... things stay the same...

2. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Dec 21, 2007

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2005
    That article is pretty damning, especially since that these are now Hawk's recruits.. You can use that excuse for awhile on other players, but not with the ones you brought here.
  4. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Jul 8, 2005
    So if it's still necessary now, whose responsibility is the state of the roster now???

I suspect the first bolded part below probably tells more of the reason guys aren't playing than any rational person would believe... It all sounds nice, but no amount of nuance and execution is going to let a guy who runs a 4.8 run with a guy who runs a 4.35. As somebody once said, you can't coach speed. You should, however, be able to take players with physical skill and coach football. I think it's pretty hard to see where this staff can do that...

Finally, he says something I can agree with....:sad1:
  5. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2008

"It's not just about who is the fastest or who's the biggest or who's the strongest. It's who, A, can execute and do all those things. There are obviously little nuances all the time that happen in a football game that people don't necessarily notice, but as coaches you look at "

Isn't it a coaches job to ensure that the most talented players are coached to perform to their ability, or above?

This isn't intramurals where you just throw together the lunch pail kids at work and go out and have fun.

It is a reflection on bad coaching that 100% of the college football recruiting experts tell us that our most talented WR's are not playing in favor of guys that were barely considered Division I FBS talent. I don't think EVERYONE else in the college football world can be wrong on this one. They aren't giving 3 and 4 star ratings just because they are fast! They give those out when the player can run routes, has speed, and can catch the ball.

The fact that Hawkins has run off every serious competitor to Cody's playing time has now left us with NOT ONE freaking option at QB to replace him this season is another UNPARDONABLE coaching mistake on his part.

You can't defend those actions by saying we don't have the players, when he is in charge of bringing in (and keeping) those players and has FAILED to do so.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  6. TheRoyale90

TheRoyale90 Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wow. Absolutely great find man. This goes along with what I was saying in another thread about going back and looking at the game by game reviews from 2006. Hawk does not learn from mistakes. Period. He will operate his "system" as-is from now till the end of his contract and beyond (if he gets another coaching job) whatever the consequences may be. I think it's pretty clear that Petersen is the brains behind Boise St's success and what we got was the figurehead. I have zero confidence in hawk to coach our players up and even less in his gameday coaching. All the evidence is right there in his performance and the words from his own mouth. I don't know what else a fence sitter could need to see that hawk needs to go.

This part is absolutely sickening to me. Oh yes, by all means lets give unquestioning preference to the 'rudys' who give their all in practice. What are we talking about here man? Practice? Not a game, not a game, not a game. Practice.

"Hawkins has withheld playing time as a way to send a message to
    underachievers and players who don't consistently bring the proper
    level of intensity and toughness to practices. He's not about to
    apologize for his philosophies or change a formula that has proven to
    be successful at every stop in his coaching career
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Mar 20, 2009
    This is the type of stuff that makes people say Hawkins is in over his head at this level. In 2006 we accepted it because we gave him the benefit of the doubt as he was establishing a culture. Now it just comes across like we've got a coach who's level is UC-Davis, much like the guys he's giving PT to.