What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Denver Post editorial: Let Baylor win.

I don't understand why the negative impact to CU's academic reputation that would result from joining a non-BCS conference is being largely ignored. Absent William & Mary, most of the top public universities are members of BCS conferences. And William & Mary has an undergrad enrollment of just 6k. I have no doubt that CU's academic reputation would be significantly tarnished if it joined the Mountain West or Conference USA.

Take heart, my friend. This is not unique to us.

Despite being the overwhelming hometown team (with 10x the alums as the #2 school), UIllinois is a clear second in the Chicago newspapers to Notre Dame. Very frustrating for the Illini faithful too. Our biggest adversary, sadly, is a jaded UI alum.

I agree. I've spent the majority of my life in CO, but i have lived in Nashville, Raleigh/Durham, Norman/OKC, Boston long enough to read the papers and I've never seen the urban center media consistently paint the "hometown" university teams (and university at large) in such a negative light. I get that railing on the "liberal elites stealing hard-working taxpayer money and corrupting the young" in Boulder (or Madison or Austin or etc.) is a tried and true populist political technique....but, the enmity towards CU sports is bizarre.

you are spot on.

Wow, this is a great point. Most of the elite small-time schools (Emory, Wash U, Rice) are private.

According to Public Ivy status, 12 of the 17 schools with this designation (CU included) are members of BCS conferences. The 5 others are Miami-OH, William & Mary, Vermont, SUNY-Binghampton, New College of FL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy

I don't understand why the negative impact to CU's academic reputation that would result from joining a non-BCS conference is being largely ignored. Absent William & Mary, most of the top public universities are members of BCS conferences. And William & Mary has an undergrad enrollment of just 6k. I have no doubt that CU's academic reputation would be significantly tarnished if it joined the Mountain West or Conference USA.

Last edited:
Back