1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denver to join WAC in 2012

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BuffNut99, Nov 10, 2010.

1. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

DU along with UT (San Antonio) and Texas State will join WAC in 2012. DU will not immediately join for football, as they have no team, but could eventually.

WAC becomes official clown car conference

2. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Cool- Good for DU

3. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Time to bring back the CU DU rivarly

4. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Wow. The WAC really sucks.

5. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

great move for DU. the Sun Belt was a joke for them....what does DU have in common in terms of student body, school orientation, and geography with Louisiana-Monroe? some of this is true in the WAC, and I think the WCC (West Coast Conference) would have been a great fit for DU (if the WCC was looking expansion) since you have small, theologically-based private schools, etc. Remember, DU started as a seminary.

While I'm a CC and CU guy/grad.....I've worked at DU and it's OK mostly.

6. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

makes up for the loss of Utah's ski program

7. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

I'm a University of San Diego grad (WCC school), my dad is a DU grad, there were rumours that Denver could be joining the WCC with BYU. BYU will join the WCC in all sports with their independence in football (no WCC football), I was selfishly hoping Denver would join the WCC so I'd get to see my Toreros in Denver ever year. For DU, the WAC is a vast improvement over the Sun Belt though. Go Toreros, Go Pios, Go Buffs.

8. BuffsNYC

BuffsNYC Uptown Club Member

The mighty pioneers will own New Mexico State in hockey!! Now they just have to bring back Denver Boone and I'll send them a check!!

:rock:

9. SteelCity Buff

SteelCity Buff Member

Hopefully they can get to the WCC eventually. That would be ideal, but would that even spark interest in their hoops program? The post had a pretty good article detailing the budget problems they've run into. Here's hoping the move to the WAC can stop at least some of the fiscal problems.

10. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

In what?

11. 14er

14er “Imitation is suicide.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

They have football?

12. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Football from like 1908.:smile2:

13. Mick Ronson

there was a time when CC-DU was one of the longest, continuous football rivalries west of the Mississippi. i remember reading that somewhere. Dutch Clark, something something.

DU does have a killer lacrosse stadium that I think CU should emulate for field hockey and soccer maybe for title IX purposes.

14. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Good for the WAC, I hope Montana also joins. With the two Texas schools, I'm sure they will be able to keep Louisiana Tech mollified with the travel schedule. UTSA has the makings of being the next Boise or South Florida upstart-type program.Now, the State of Colorado has its biggest schools in all "western" conferences:pac-12 - CUMWC - CSU, AFAWAC - DUBig Sky - UNC

15. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

boone is back... i was at the first BC beat down and saw a costumed boone

16. BuffsNYC

BuffsNYC Uptown Club Member

Sweet! I love his giant paper mache head.

[​IMG]

17. DrunkPanda

DrunkPanda Active Member

whooo. exciting news. i'm going to DU for grad school next year. i hope the other wac losers enjoy getting beat up in ice hockey :thumbsup:

18. cruisebuff

cruisebuff Club Member Club Member

DU is going to kill in hockey in that new conference :)

(any other school have a hockey program in the WAC???)

19. ScottyBuff

The only Division I-FBS school west of Minnesota that sponsors hockey is the Air Force Academy.

20. DrunkPanda

DrunkPanda Active Member

awesome. so we are conference champions every year by default. default! default!

21. Gramburglar

Gramburglar Literally has hundreds of dollars Club Member

DU may still be in the WCHA for Hockey. But that confrence may dissolve because stupid Penn State may be adding Hockey giving the Big 10 (Little 11) enough teams to be their own confrence.

22. Mick Ronson

right on re: grad school. the best place to eat around DU is Jerusalem on Evans. rip-snorting gyros. the Greek Omelet at Pete's Kitchen got me through a couple times, too.

23. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

Penn State is adding D-I hockey, though it'll be a few years before the teams are up and running...a single booster recently gave PSU something around $85,000,000 to start up a hockey program and build a hockey specific arena on campus The WCHA isn't going anywheres...even if it loses Wisconsin and Minnesota to the potential Big 10 hockey conference, it'll still have 10 schools...it's the CCHA which might have a little more trouble...they would lose Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State to the Big 10, but they would still have 8 schools...

24. OKCBuff

OKCBuff Well-Known Member

Great for the WAC to add TSU and UTSA. Those are schools just like UCF and USF -- big and able to compete quickly. So much talent down that way they will thrive with 4th- and 5th-level recruits.

25. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Oops. When I saw the thread title, I thought it was about the Broncos. My bad.

ScottyBuff likes this.
  26. FChairbanks

FChairbanks muthaka slayer Club Member

campus lounge!!

27. ScottyBuff

I'm fairly certain that the "WAC Hockey Champ" comments were in jest. at least I hope they were.

The WCHA isn't in danger of dissolving due to Penn State adding hockey, but certainly in danger of losing two (and maybe four) of their premiere members. Many believe that was exactly what they were planning for when they added Bemidji and UNO recently.

They have 12 teams now, and have AFA within their footprint (Atlantic member now), while also Alaska - Fairbanks could be an option as well.

Certainly the league would lose some of its star power, but if they can keep North Dakota, Denver, Colorado College, and St. Cloud together they will still have one of the power conferences in the country. There could be a battle over the Sioux if the Big Ten invites them, but most rumors have the Big Ten adding some combination of Miami (OH), Bowling Green, Western Michigan, and/or Notre Dame as hockey-only members for its league. Nebraska-Omaha would fit into the current "footprint" as well since the Cornhuskers don't sponsor hockey.

Of the remaining Big Ten teams, only Illinois and Indiana have programs that are even tier-I club programs (like Penn State recently was) to make a jump into fully sponsored programs. I cannot figure out why Northwestern doesn't make a harder effort for hockey in a city like Chicago? They, Purdue, and Iowa only have tier-2 club hockey.

28. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

Love DU hockey. Don't care about anything else they do.

29. Gramburglar

Gramburglar Literally has hundreds of dollars Club Member

Wow thanks guys all I had heard where rumours. Go Pioneer hockey and everything else Buffs!!

30. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

Mick - I believe that you are probably thinking of the CC-Mines football rivalry. Don't have the record book to look it up, but I do know it was one of the longest continuous rivalries west of the Mississippi. Dutch Clark played football at CC, and is somewhat of a local icon in Pueblo (where he is from) - the 13,000 seat high school stadium in Pueblo is Dutch Clark Stadium.

Go Tigers!!!!!!