What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Depth Chart-ing

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Stuart

[h=2]Depth Chart-ing – A look at the players making a name for themselves in Fall Camp[/h]Today’s players of note: Senior tight end Ryan Deehan; senior right guard Ryan Miller; sophomore wide receiver Paul Richardson; Preferred walk-ons Parker Norton (WR),*John Schrock (QB), and Mark Brundage (P).
- Senior tight end Ryan Deehan had 25 catches last season, the fifth-highest total on the team. Still, despite his personal success, Deehan was not pleased with the Colorado offense. Deehan noted “a lot of dissension among the players about who should be doing what and among the staff”, as well as a “disconnect between players and coaches”. And now? “We’re more focused … We never knew what our identity was last year. I’m not even sure what to call (last year’s offense). This year I know we’re a pro-style offense that’s going to run the ball at you, and then play-action off of that.”
Tight ends coach J.D. Brookhart calls Deehan, “clearly our best two-way – pass/run guy … but I want him to be dominating in the run game, become a physical, dominating blocker. I think he understands full well the nuances of the receiving part. He knows what he’s doing in the run game; I just want to see him get nasty.”
- Senior right guard Ryan Miller echoed some of the sentiments of fellow senior Ryan Deehan*with respect to last year’s team. “I don’t think we felt like a team sometimes,” Miller told the Boulder Daily Camera. “We may have been, but I don’t think we melded as a team. We melded as position groups, but we didn’t meld as a team.” As to the shift to the pro-style rushing attack, Miller is another true believer. “I definitely think it suits me better,” Miller said. “I’m a lot better at going forward than going backward. The whole mindset early on has been physical, physical, physical and that’s how it’s going to be. I guess that’s what has been ingrained in my system since high school.”
Miller has goals for this season, above and beyond personal accolades, and even an increased victory total. “Cohesion,” Miller responded when asked about his top priority for the 2011 season. “Whether it be cohesion as an offense or a defense, cohesion on the offensive line. What I want most, what is number one on Ryan Miller’s wish list is for people to understand that they are not playing a team. They are playing a family.”
- Sophomore wide receiver Paul Richardson was a late signee in 2010, joining the team the week before Fall Camp. With the late start, it took some time for Richardson to be integrated into the Colorado offense. In the first half of 2011, Richardson had seven catches for 64 yards. In the second half of 2010, however, Richardson had 27 catches for 450 yards and six touchdowns. At the end of the season, there was speculation that Richardson might transfer back to a California school, but in the end Richardson decided to stay. What does Richardson expect from 2011? “To pickup where I left off last season,” Richardson told the Daily Camera. “Now, I’m a leader. I’m just trying to coach up the young guys as much as I can.”
— Colorado has 105 players in camp. The NCAA allows for 85 scholarship players. As Colorado is not currently carrying 85 scholarship players, that means that there are almost two dozen walk-ons currently suiting up at Fall Camp. Most will toil in anonymity, but a few, especially the preferred – or “invited” – walk-ons have a real chance of making the roster (wide receiver Scotty McKnight and quarterback Joel Klatt, just two name two record-setting Buffs, were preferred walk-ons). Several are already making a name for themselves:
- Freshman Parker Norton is a wide receiver from Costa Mesa, California. Norton is 6’0″, 190-pounds, and has been in Boulder all summer. While Norton might not be a household name to the Buff Nation right now, he may be one of the first walk-ons to see playing time. Norton, in addition to playing wide receiver, is a kick holder. Norton also happens to be a former high school teammate of … long-snapper Ryan Iverson. With former holders Cody Hawkins and Scotty McKnight having moved on, the holder position is up for grabs – and Norton might earn the job (thanks to former CU great Lance Carl for this story).
- Freshman John Schrock is a quarterback from Shawnee Mission, Kansas. Schrock was a star quarterback in high school, but injured his shoulder in the next to last regular season game. In Boulder since May, Schrock is fully healed. “I’ve been out here since the end of May taking classes and doing workouts,” Schrock told PrepsKC.com. “The workouts have been great and practice has been great. My shoulder didn’t heal until about a month and a half before I got out here. It’s been doing really good and I am excited about camp opening on August 3rd.” Those who observed the first fall practice noted that Schrock, while not a challenger to Tyler Hansen for playing time this fall, did hold his own (thanks to SDBuff for this story).
- Senior Mark Brundage is a punter coming to Colorado by way of Rice University. From Centennial, Colorado, Brundage graduated from Rice in four years, but still has a year of eligibility remaining. Brundage backed up a Ray Guy award finalist at Rice, and hasn’t seen any playing time since 2009. However, Brundage is considered to have a real opportunity to be the Buffs’ starting punter this fall. While it is far too early to*handicap the race for starting punter, Brundage is worthy of note here because of a line he had. When asked by BuffVision “What is your strength as a player?”, Brundage responded, “Well, I’m a punter. So I think that my strength is that I can kick the ball.”
Hard to argue with a Rice graduate …

Originally posted by CU At the Game
Click here to vie

Back