What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Depth Chart

FightCu1414

Fifth year Senior
Club Member
Hey guys I haven't made it to any scrimmages but hope to. Does anyone have a solid depth chart cause Cubuff.com's isn't updated at all. I missed a lot cause of vacation. Thanks for the help.

My Depth Chart (Long)

I'm no one official, but here's my best try. 2 deep.

The Offense

QB
Cody Hawins
Nick Nelson

RB
Demitrius Sumler
Darrell Scott

FB
Mo Cantrell
Jake Behrens

WR(X)
Pat Williams
Josh Smith

WR(Z)
Scotty McKnight
Kendrick Celestine

*Hawk normally has 'groupings'. So i don't think it really matters who starts or not. Both JFly and PWill will see alot of PT. jmho.*

TE
Riar Geer
Ryan Deehan(RS?)

LT
Nate Solder
Ethan Adkins

LG
Matt Bahr
MTM

C
Girthy
Keenan Stephens

RG
Devin Head
Blake Behrens

RT
Ryan Miller
Ethan Adkins
I originally had Tau in there. I forgot he was ineligible. So i have to go with Adkins again

The Defense

LE
Mo Lucas
Jason Brace

DT
George "The Rabid Goldfish" Hypolite
Curtis Cunningham

NT
Brandon Nicholas
Eugene Goree

RE
Conrad Obi
Marquez Herrod

Mike
Jeff Smart/Mike Sipili
*Both of these guys have been doing great imo. This ones a tossup.*

Will
Shaun Mohler
Marcus Burton

Sam
Brad Jones
BJ Beatty

LCB
Gardner McKay
Anthony Wright

FS
Ryan Walters
Anthony Perkins

SS
Daniel Dykes
Patrick Mahnke(RS)

RCB
Jimmy Smith
Cha'pelle Brown

Special Teams

KR
Rodney Stewart
Josh Williams

PR
Rodney Stewart
Josh Williams

Keep in mind that this is what I personally would like to see. I know alot of you won't like some of the people at certain positions. So let me try to explain what's going on in my wacky thought process.

The offense.

It's a no brainer that CHawkins will be our #1. I also think Nelson will work out his problems and assume the #2 spot. Even though i really like Ballenger.

The rb's are nothing shocking here either. I don't think DScott has a total handle on the playbook yet to displace Sumler. Sumler has been running well in practice so far imo. I'm not sure how the FB's will be used in the offense, but Mo has looked decent at blocking out there. He's also a factor in the passing game. He caught everything thrown his way that I witnessed. I'm also assuming that Jake Behrens will assume the backup spot. But that's more of a guess because i haven't noticed him in practice. So that means Ray Ray will get a RS. If Sumler keeps on doing well, why not throw a RS on Ray? It gives him time to completely immerse himself with the playbook. On the otherhand if Sumler isn't doing well then we can't afford the luxury(sp?) of RS Ray Polk. JMHO here.

The biggest issue with the recievers imo, is if Pat Williams finally steps up. In CU's official depth chart both PWill and JFly are the X recievers. So I'm going with seniority here. But JFly can easily displace PWill if it's the same ol' with Pat. I'm hoping he finally turns it around. Also, it's like i said above, these are more groupings with Hawk. So I don't think too much should be placed on who's #1 or #2. They are both #1's imo. I know, corny right?:smile2: The Z spot should easily go to McKnight. K. Celestine a close second. The Z should've gone to Simas. Boy, his ineligibility hurts us. The TE spot obviously goes to Geer. But #2 should be interesting. I think it should be Deehan, but they might RS him. He looks ready to go now. I think he'll become a phenomonal TE for us in the future. I believe the kid is that good. If he recieves a RS then i'll go with Devanny. He's a hard worker who gives 100% at all times. I love his attitude.

The Oline is set at the OT spot obviously. But who's the backups? I love Givens but in all likelyhood he'll RS. He needs to put on more weight. If anything crazy happens i think he could burn his RS year. The kid is awesome, underweight or not. I put Adkins at the #2 behind Solder because of the job he did in the spring looks to be also happening now. But with the injury to Iltis, he could be moved to guard. Adkins is listed as 6-4 so he's not too tall to be a guard imo. But that's nitpicking imo. Ryan's backup is still Tau. He hasn't been exactly tearing it up, but let's give the kid time. He's still a RS-FR. The guard spots are a little harder. I think Head has the LG spot for now. I know me putting Blake Behrens as his #2 is a longshot. Blake has been pretty invisible imo. I think he'll start making some noise this fall. I hope he does. The other spot is a tossup. I think Bahr will step up. But I still haven't seen MTM in full pads. So i can't count him out quite yet. He could be the starter if he's healthy. We all know Girthy is the center.

The D

I'm going off of the 4-3 base D. I'm not sure if the switch to the 3-4 is permanant. I'm assuming we'll see both this year.

No big suprises on the line imo. I expect Obi to be the RE. But Herrod and Brace are waiting in the wings. We also need a big season from Mo Lucas. The only thing is my placing of Cunningham as Hypo's backup. He could recieve a RS, but he might be ready now. He's certainly strong enough. The kids a beast.

The LB's are probably what will create the most discussion from you guys. I am really hoping that the upperclassmen show up so we can throw some RS on these freshman. No one is taking the Sam spot from Jones. I think Beatty will see increased PT this year(duh). So that means Mohler to the Will spot. I know the Will spot is technically a ILB, and Mohler is a OLB. But with Jones locking up the Sam spot, i think they have to fit Mohler somewhere on the field. Do we move to a 3-4? The LB spot is kind of confusing to me. The Inside spot is another tossup between Smart and Sipili. Both are great ILB's. So that means Rippy, and Major get RS. But we might see Major on the field this year. I wouldnt' be suprised.

The secondary isn't as bad as people say imo. I heard someone at a spring practice say this is the worst D he's seen at CU since Fairbanks. That guy is on crack. I think we'll be fine imo. Maybe not the best, but not that bad. The key is the secondary. If the DB's don't show up it'll be a long year. If they do? Well a 4-0 start would turn alot of heads in the CFB world. So I am hoping that McKay and J. Smith are ready. McKay has been recieving high praise from coach Brown and staff. And J. Smith has all the tools to become the All-Big XII CB he's aiming to be(see the BDC article). The secondary is set again with Ryan Walters, and Dykes. Dykes is a good SS. He's not the fastest safety, but he makes up for it with his head imo. He's a smart ballplayer. The backups are also good. C. Brown quieted alot of critics with solid play last year. Anthony Wright is another who i hope steps up. He has alot of talent.

Special Teams

The returners will be R.Stewart and maybe JFly. Those two would be a dangerous duo. I'm not sure Scott will be in the mix. He should be focused on RB.

Last edited:
Re: My Depth Chart (Long)

Well you did list Tau as Ryan's backup, who is ineligible, so you forgot Givens or Dannewitz.

I forgot about Tau being ineligible. I knew something was wrong. Givens will RS due to his weight problems. and Dannewitz wouldn't break the 2 deep.

Thanks a lot I appreciate it. You guys are really informative. I watch all Columbine games and have watched both Miller and Cunningham. To be honest Cunningham was just as impressive to me. He's faster and stronger at least in high school, but now Miller is gonna be a pro player someday. Has anyone really thought of Cunningham playing D end as a starter.

I see Kaynor and Lawson as a potential rotation tol back up the Rabid Goldfish. I think Cunningham will redshirt - unless he just tears it up the rest of camp.

I thought that I heard Burton was tearing it up so far. You think Mohler is better?

I like Burton. He's a beast. But he's damn near 260. I think he's a liability against the pass. Mohler is fast enough to cover the TE's or RB's imo. Burton has been doing a great job, but Mohler is the safer pick of the two. At least imho.

I like Burton. He's a beast. But he's damn near 260. I think he's a liability against the pass. Mohler is fast enough to cover the TE's or RB's imo. Burton has been doing a great job, but Mohler is the safer pick of the two. At least imho.

Burton played as a true frosh at about 250. He took a pick to the house against okie lite - around 95 yards. It seems like he can carry the weight.

Anyone have any observations about how he's moving based on practices/scrimmages?

Isn't it nice to finally have some depth???

Defiantly a good problem to have. Especially in light of what happened to Major. :sad1: Can you imagine if that happened last year, where we already had one walk on in (although he has turned out to be a kick ass walk on).

Burton played as a true frosh at about 250. He took a pick to the house against okie lite - around 95 yards. It seems like he can carry the weight.

Anyone have any observations about how he's moving based on practices/scrimmages?

I haven't paid too much attention to Burton over the last week. But like KP has said, Burton has been getting some great reviews. He's been all over the field. I watched him during spring ball and he was an impressive site. A 250+ LB. :wow:

I haven't paid too much attention to Burton over the last week. But like KP has said, Burton has been getting some great reviews. He's been all over the field. I watched him during spring ball and he was an impressive site. A 250+ LB. :wow:
any LB who can make plays against an offense with the speed in the backfield that we now have should have very few questions asked about his ability to "carry his weight".

any LB who can make plays against an offense with the speed in the backfield that we now have should have very few questions asked about his ability to "carry his weight".
Also, I do not want to see any of our "dark horse" or "veteran" candidates at RB (aka moyd etc) getting reps in scrimmages OR practices anymore. They are so obviously not on the same level as this years frosh physically that the only players getting reps should be sumler, scott, stewart, and polk (In THAT order if Scott heals up right or gets in shape or fixes whatever is wrong with him). The difference was shocking to see in person.

Note: I am ignoring lockridge only because he is injured.

Also, I do not want to see any of our "dark horse" or "veteran" candidates at RB (aka moyd etc) getting reps in scrimmages OR practices anymore. They are so obviously not on the same level as this years frosh physically that the only players getting reps should be sumler, scott, stewart, and polk (In THAT order if Scott heals up right or gets in shape or fixes whatever is wrong with him). The difference was shocking to see in person.

Note: I am ignoring lockridge only because he is injured.

I agree with this, but it brought a question to mind along with the horrible flashbacks of watching Ellis try to run the ball that came with the mention of shocking differences in ability to run the ball :sad1:....

Does anybody have any thoughts on how the various backs have looked in pass protection? Blitz pickups, etc.? Because Ellis' ability to do that was certainly a huge factor in the allocation of playing time last year, and it's generally a weakness of young backs like we have.

Not even sure how many opportunities there have been to see them in action in practice doing this, but now I'm curious... :huh:

I agree with this, but it brought a question to mind along with the horrible flashbacks of watching Ellis try to run the ball that came with the mention of shocking differences in ability to run the ball :sad1:....

Does anybody have any thoughts on how the various backs have looked in pass protection? Blitz pickups, etc.? Because Ellis' ability to do that was certainly a huge factor in the allocation of playing time last year, and it's generally a weakness of young backs like we have.

Not even sure how many opportunities there have been to see them in action in practice doing this, but now I'm curious... :huh:

I didn't really come away impressed with Scott's pass protection, however Hawk has said that he told the guys to ease back. They've been hitting, But i don't think they've gone live, except the scrimmage last monday. I didn't make it there. Hopefully i'll make this Sunday's scrimmage.

Back