What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Derek Dooley fired: Tennessee takes its football seriously enough

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Derek Dooley has been fired by the University of Tennessee less than 24 hours after a demoralizing 4-overtime home loss to Missouri, according to two reports. Vol Quest, a Rivals site, says Dooley is gone, which is the same thing Wes Rucker reported late Saturday night.
Wes Rucker @wesrucker247
Not a question of "if," but "when" on Dooley. Don't think they'll announce anything until after a Vandy loss or after UK game, win or lose.

10 Nov 12

This should be no surprise. Dooley will be expensive to fire and replace, but the Vols have been an embarrassment this season. The defeat dropped Tennessee to 4-6, 0-6 in the SEC. Dooley is 15-20 at Tennessee, but that masks the real stench: He’s a staggering 4-18 in SEC play since arriving in 2010.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php...-according-to-two-reports/?source=top-modules

Should we forward every one of these kinds of stories to the CU admin? Maybe they'll eventually take a hint.

The Vols are serious about their program. The Buffs are a pathetic joke.

The Vols have some of the best athletic facilities and fan support in the nation.

We have a 5lb kettlebell and damn good support, until this week anyway.

The Vols have some of the best athletic facilities and fan support in the nation.

We have a 5lb kettlebell and damn good support, until this week anyway.

And what to show for it of late. While I very much appreciate their initiative and commitment to winning, what concerns me is how they've struck out with their past couple hires.

And what to show for it of late. While I very much appreciate their initiative and commitment to winning, what concerns me is how they've struck out with their past couple hires.

But they won't get gun shy. They're going through a period similar to what LSU did with DiNardo and others before they hired Saban. Vols will be back in a big way before long.

They'll definitely keep throwing their money around in pursuit of that success. Something to be said for that I guess.

But they won't get gun shy. They're going through a period similar to what LSU did with DiNardo and others before they hired Saban. Vols will be back in a big way before long.

Absolutely true. Great fans and terrific administration. A ****ing novel idea.

Tennessee is one of the toughest places to win consistently at in the nation, IMO. Fan expectations are sky high and they have very little in state talent. The rise of SCar has devastated their recruiting since they used to recruit the Carolina's extensively. Then they have competition against Bama, UGA, Florida and FSU for the first tier recruits and Auburn, SCar, Clemson for the next. A good coach can win there, but it's not a cake walk.

Tennessee has never had to face a threat from South Carolina. They might never be back to their historical level.

Tennessee has never had to face a threat from South Carolina. They might never be back to their historical level.

I hear you, but this is also a strange set of circumstances. They've been dealing with Alabama and LSU at the top of their games, Georgia and Florida at the top end of their historical powers, their next door neighbors to the west (Arkansas) going on an unusual run, and even North Carolina starting to lock down its own state.

What's going to be interesting will be to see if conference expansion helps or hurts Tennessee. They are geographically surrounded with Missouri now in the mix. If the SEC goes to 16 through NC and VA, then they really end up in the middle. Opportunity there as the hub of the wheel. Also a potentially bad situation with the wrong coaches where they're always fighting for leftovers. I think if they hire the right coach they become the hub and will quickly be a national power.

That said, Tennessee can pay big money. They do provide a coveted SEC job.

I think the key going forward is a coaching staff that can take advantage of Georgia Tech's struggles and Miami's struggles by recruiting Georgia and south Florida relentlessly. There is talent to be had.

Absolutely true. Great fans and terrific administration. A ****ing novel idea.

Although they are in this position because they got tired of 9 win seasons. Anyone who cans a coach who has two losing seasons over almost 20 years deserves to be in this mess in my opinion

But that is due to Spurrier wouldn't you say? I seriously question whether South Carolina can continue at this level once he retires.

That said, Tennessee can pay big money. They do provide a coveted SEC job.

I think the key going forward is a coaching staff that can take advantage of Georgia Tech's struggles and Miami's struggles by recruiting Georgia and south Florida relentlessly. There is talent to be had.

They should look no further than Charlie Strong, then. Perfect coach for the Tennessee situation.

But that is due to Spurrier wouldn't you say? I seriously question whether South Carolina can continue at this level once he retires.

Serious question. Which of those two states, SC or Tenn. generate the most football talent?

Serious question. Which of those two states, SC or Tenn. generate the most football talent?

Lately it's been SC by a mile. They're not just putting out good numbers for talent, they're also putting out some of the best players in the nation. Lattimore and Clowney were homegrown prospects, for example.

I thought what Duff was inferring is that Tennessee used to be able to go into SCar and pick the top talent they wanted, but they can't do that any more now that USC has risen up.

I thought what Duff was inferring is that Tennessee used to be able to go into SCar and pick the top talent they wanted, but they can't do that any more now that USC has risen up.

I think that is what Duff was saying. Your point was that The ****'s ability to keep homegrown talent was a Spurrier-driven phenomenon. I'm wondering if it isn't a Spurrier-initiated change with long-term consequences.

LSU had won 3 SEC titles outright in 30 years before CNS got there. They had one maybe two decent coaches there in that time. LSU had been a second tier SEC team before CNS.

I think that is what Duff was saying. Your point was that The ****'s ability to keep homegrown talent was a Spurrier-driven phenomenon. I'm wondering if it isn't a Spurrier-initiated change with long-term consequences.

It all depends on the next coach. CSS had the same influence on UF and they have remained an elite program.

It all depends on the next coach. CSS had the same influence on UF and they have remained an elite program.

Exactly. He built UF from nothing, but it stuck. Did it depend on the next coach though? Was it Ron Zook?

I've been in Columbia for game day several times in the last couple of decades. Those folks take their football seriously enough--even when they're not achieving near an elite level. Those boys are going to stay home more and more often.

Although they are in this position because they got tired of 9 win seasons. Anyone who cans a coach who has two losing seasons over almost 20 years deserves to be in this mess in my opinion

It is all about taking your football seriously. cpf had two losing seasons in his last four. Fans don't want to celebrate wins in 1998. What have you done for me lately? It is the same at your job. 'I had the top sales figures in 2004'. Nobody cares-you got paid for that already and this is 2012.

The Vols are serious about their program. The Buffs are a pathetic joke.

If they are sooooo "serious", how did get in this situation? They have 90,000 fans who show up every friggin' week and alums who aren't afraid to open their wallets: See "Manning, Peyton". (unlike the $100 a yr. pip-squeaks who whine about the Buffs here!)

Gee, must be something OTHER than an Admin. "dedicated to winning" and throwing around dollars---which UT HAS, in spades--- involved in moving a program in the right direction. Oh, say......like....LUCK?

And don't give me the "tough recruiting" crap, within a 2-3 hour drive of K-ville, are dozens of large, fast D1 bruthuhs who are itching for a shot to play in the NFL and the 85 schollie limit hits everyone! And UT (as most schools in the SEC), doesn't bother with little academic details, such as "Can your recruits actually read and write English at a JR HS level?"

If they are sooooo "serious", how did get in this situation? They have 90,000 fans who show up every friggin' week and alums who aren't afraid to open their wallets: See "Manning, Peyton". (unlike the $100 a yr. pip-squeaks who whine about the Buffs here!)

Gee, must be something OTHER than an Admin. "dedicated to winning" and throwing around dollars---which UT HAS, in spades--- involved in moving a program in the right direction. Oh, say......like....LUCK?

And don't give me the "tough recruiting" crap, within a 2-3 hour drive of K-ville, are dozens of large, fast D1 bruthuhs who are itching for a shot to play in the NFL and the 85 schollie limit hits everyone! And UT (as most schools in the SEC), doesn't bother with little academic details, such as "Can your recruits actually read and write English at a JR HS level?"

You make some good points. I think they kind of followed the Colorado example. Get a hot outside guy(Lane Kiffin) who ends up jumping ship to USC, then they go for an in the family hire (Dooley). It didn't work out, and the players have experienced a lot of coaching turnover. Tennessee is still showing good decision making by cutting ties now. I am guessing that the check book will be opened up for the next coach.

Back