1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Derek McCartney story in USA Today

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...fensive-end-bill-mccartney-grandson/31059305/

At Colorado, that star has continued to soar. Derek is pre-med, majoring in Integrative Physiology. By the end of this past spring semester, he'd already surpassed 100 credits. He plans to graduate next spring and then enroll in a graduate program.

Derek isn't sure what area of medicine he wants to study down the line, but he does think he'd like surgery. He's also found studying the heart intriguing, because of Kaylee's condition.

Derek balances his studies with his commitment to improving as a football player. Last season, after a redshirt year, the 6-3, 240-pound defensive end started every game, accumulating 34 tackles (23 solo, including six for losses and four for zero gains) and four and a half sacks, which tied for the second-most sacks by a freshman (true or redshirt) in school history.

[​IMG]

ladyblaise likes this.
  2. Bufffan68

Bufffan68 Club Member Club Member

I can't imagine how great it would be being raised around such a motivating person. What a blessing and Derek turned out great.

3. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Awesome young man. He has been through a lot and is excelling at life.

4. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

He has surprised me. I'm probably not the only one.

Easy to root for this young man.

5. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

Inspiring