What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Derrick White (h/t Ryan Koeningsberg)

it would be great to hear your thoughts on next season! You're the first I've heard that said the front court was ok.....
The Front Court didn't live up to expectations due to a lack of focus and injuries. That said they were not the problem and was solid. The backcourt was certainly the issue.

I'd really like to see Gordon take the next step. He has so much potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Didn't seem like that to me when Scott was out! Gordon doesn't shoot and seems lost. Thomas is gone and Miller seems lost. You have to win in the paint to have a chance. We don't have the talent in the front court! We are known as being soft!
Is this a joke?

Look at the most recent tourney teams. UCONN Went from a #7 last year to the title because of guard play. Duke was big inside this year, but tyus jones & grayson allen were the ones that won that game. Kemba walker. Look at the shocks in kansas - they've had strong guard play for years, and have made it out of the first weekend consistently, and their guards are coming back this year!

I like josh, XJ & wes and think they had a good year aside from injuries, but they cant get themselves the ball, they need guards to break down the defense and get them the ball.

Is this a joke?

Look at the most recent tourney teams. UCONN Went from a #7 last year to the title because of guard play. Duke was big inside this year, but tyus jones & grayson allen were the ones that won that game. Kemba walker. Look at the shocks in kansas - they've had strong guard play for years, and have made it out of the first weekend consistently, and their guards are coming back this year!

I like josh, XJ & wes and think they had a good year aside from injuries, but they cant get themselves the ball, they need guards to break down the defense and get them the ball.

There's no *right* way to win the tourney. Florida won 2 straight bc of Horford, Noah & Brewer, but they got competent PG play out of Taurean Green. Anthony Davis probably had the best individual season of any college player over the last 4 yrs & finished it with a title. Kaminsky had the best performance in this year's final, but Duke had more players show up collectively than Wisco. Inevitably, you need good guard play but more than anything, you need more dominant players than your opponent--doesn't matter which position.

There's no *right* way to win the tourney. Florida won 2 straight bc of Horford, Noah & Brewer, but they got competent PG play out of Taurean Green. Anthony Davis probably had the best individual season of any college player over the last 4 yrs & finished it with a title. Kaminsky had the best performance in this year's final, but Duke had more players show up collectively than Wisco. Inevitably, you need good guard play but more than anything, you need more dominant players than your opponent--doesn't matter which position.

Taureen Green was drafted as a PG from Florida that year also and they had a shooting guard who was lights out (Humphreys). That makes it was easier for Noah and Horford to dominate the way they did.

I don't have an exact reference, but I was watching a show during the tournament where a metrics guy was arguing with basketball guys to tell them that the truism about guard play winning tournament games is overblown and not all that relevant. The big thing he stressed statistically was that teams that gain an advantage in offensive rebounds are the ones that consistently do better.

Thinking about this year's Dance, it seems like the teams that could abuse teams on the glass made up most of our Elite 8.

the guard play story in march may be a bit overblown, but the point I was trying to make is that our front court is not the problem.

the guard play story in march may be a bit overblown, but the point I was trying to make is that our front court is not the problem.

I agree with you there. I thought we had a front court that could win a couple games in the Dance, but a back court that - at its best - was at a good NIT team level and - at its worst - didn't measure up to CBI squads.

It's about as overblown as "experience wins in March." But no question. Anyone who thinks our frontcourt is anything but the pride & joy of Buffs hoops needs to do less typing, more reading/watching.

I don't have an exact reference, but I was watching a show during the tournament where a metrics guy was arguing with basketball guys to tell them that the truism about guard play winning tournament games is overblown and not all that relevant. The big thing he stressed statistically was that teams that gain an advantage in offensive rebounds are the ones that consistently do better.

Thinking about this year's Dance, it seems like the teams that could abuse teams on the glass made up most of our Elite 8.

It's dangerous to point to any one facet of basketball being the key other than having the most dominant players. That said, winning the glass is simply more reliable than depending on guards to get hot. Hello, Villanova.

Last edited:
Really sucks he would have to sit out a year. I wonder if Boyle still wants to go through with it since it can't help this year.

Howell said in his chat he has been told he would definitely have to sit out a year. FWIW.

This could be good in the long run as White has shown the ability to grow his game & would get a full season of practicing against PAC-12 players before getting his shot. Could be a great replacement for Talton's minutes in 16-17

I think there's something in the NCAA rules that allows a player to move up if it's in the same system. Like CU-Colorado Springs to CU-Boulder or CSU-Pueblo to CSU-Fort Collins.

So what happens when they transfer down, like from UCLA to Cal, frinstance?

So what happens when they transfer down, like from UCLA to Cal, frinstance?

You have to sit out a year either way, unless you move down a division then I would assume you could play. But past precedent suggests there's nothing in the transfer rules that allow you to not sit out a year when moving in the same system.

Last edited:
Per cu press release he has to sit out in 15/16. Will have one year of eligibily that he will use in 16/17.

You have to sit out a year either way, unless you move down a division then I would assume you could play. But past precedent suggests there's nothing in the transfer rules that allow you to not sit out a year when moving in the same system unless you're Baylor or Oregon.
fify

You have to sit out a year either way, unless you move down a division then I would assume you could play. But past precedent suggests there's nothing in the transfer rules that allow you to not sit out a year when moving in the same system.

You are correct. If a player is transfering from a D1 to a D1, in or outside of a system or transferring up to D1 from a lower division he has to sit a year. There are a few limited exceptions to this done on an individual case basis. Usually when a school has been found to be abusive towards a player or when the NCAA allows kids to leave a school in conjunction with a disciplinary action.

A player with remaining eligibility who has completed a degree program at a school may also transfer an play immediately if enrolling in a graduate program that is not offered at the original school.

Players may transfer down in division without sitting out so a student athlete leaving CU-Boulder could play immediately for CU-Colorado Springs (UCCS) or any D2 school outside the system like Metro.

Any easy way to think about the transfer is ask the question: Is the player transferring to Oregon? If the answer is yes, they can play immediately. Otherwise they have to sit out a year.

Any easy way to think about the transfer is ask the question: Is the player transferring to Oregon? If the answer is yes, they can play immediately. Otherwise they have to sit out a year.

No one holds a candle to Georgetown. They pulled Joshua Smith from UCLA, gained him immediate eligibility with no justification and even got him an extra year of eligibility in the process. NCAA is scared ****less of offending the Thompsons.

First off, I want to say I am real excited about Derrick White. Based on the what I've read, he is exactly the type of player this program needs right now (hard-working and mature off the court, aggressive on it).

I may be looking too far ahead, but with Derrick White officially signing on I can't help but feel that De'Ron Davis is the missing piece to what could be a special team in '16-'17. I know that Davis is a long shot, but barring turnover the Buffs back court will be loaded with experience. We will need someone to fill Scott's void, and while I'm optimistic about the development of Gordon, Miller, and Guzonjic, another talented big could arguably catapult us into the top tier of the Pac.

First off, I want to say I am real excited about Derrick White. Based on the what I've read, he is exactly the type of player this program needs right now (hard-working and mature off the court, aggressive on it).

I may be looking too far ahead, but with Derrick White officially signing on I can't help but feel that De'Ron Davis is the missing piece to what could be a special team in '16-'17. I know that Davis is a long shot, but barring turnover the Buffs back court will be loaded with experience. We will need someone to fill Scott's void, and while I'm optimistic about the development of Gordon, Miller, and Guzonjic, another talented big could arguably catapult us into the top tier of the Pac.

I'm not holding my breath on De'Ron right now.

Old thread, but I've seen DW play several times at UCCS. Kid is real good.
After wtaching P12 play this season, I expect him to put up between 10-15 ppg easy if he gets the PT.

Trust me, he could (COULD) be our leading scorer if he earns trust of teammates and coaches.

Old thread, but I've seen DW play several times at UCCS. Kid is real good.
After wtaching P12 play this season, I expect him to put up between 10-15 ppg easy if he gets the PT.

Trust me, he could (COULD) be our leading scorer if he earns trust of teammates and coaches.

Everyone that went to practices this year is raving about him. I was hesitant to take him - especially with the forced redshirt year - but man, he could be a huge steal for us.

I heard about same thing last year about JF lol.

Anyone got any recent videos on him?

3rd leading scorer this season, 2nd leading assists, 2nd leading steals, shot 40.3% from 3pt range for us, and gave us 4 rebounds a night from the 2. Fortune was exactly what I expected. If others had lived up to their expectations, JF wouldn't have been called upon so often to try to make plays off the bounce or to bring the ball up. Looking forward to him working his butt off again this offseason, taking his handle to the next level, and delivering a very good senior season.

Back