1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Destination: Lubbock, TX

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Skidmark, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Anyone have anything interesting to say about visiting Lubbock?

I've got a ticket to the game and look forward to witnessing CU's first ever victory on Tech turf.

Are there any must-dos in this wind-swept cultural center of the universe?

Please pass along info about good sports bars, restaurants, or must-see attractions and the contact details for a good bail bondsman.

Are tortillas filled with marshmelloes and beer allowed inside the stadium?

2. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

There's not much to do in Lubbock. It has been quite a while since I have been there. I can't really give tips on bars, restaurants etc. I usually approached Lubbock in the following fashion...get in, do what I need to do, and get the heck out.

3. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

there's some place they always talk about on Tech broadcasts that has great chicken fried steak and BBQ in Lubbock.

the new TTech U. golf course is supposedly a pretty nifty new-style links course. read a bunch of good reviews of it.

4. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Is it on campus like A&M's?

5. Mick Ronson

which, the golf course or BBQ?

6. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Duh. Every school in Texas has a BBQ on campus. :smile2:

7. Mick Ronson

8. RalphieMalph

RalphieMalph Well-Known Member

I've never been to Lubbock myself, but some old roommates of mine went down there the last time CU made the trip. From what they told me, it's a pretty bizarre town... apparently it's in a dry county, surrounded by non dry counties, so there's just this huge strip of consecutive liquor stores along all the highways out of town. It's like driving from Provo directly into Harlem... quite the scene.

It's been 4 years since they were there, so maybe things have changed a bit... then again, maybe my old roommates were just entirely full of ****. Really, there's a world of possibilities here.

Oh, and not only are tortillas filled with marshmallows and beer allowed inside the stadium, they're sold by vendors up until the end of the 3rd quarter.

9. Blackshirts

Blackshirts Guest

I live about 3 hours south of Lubbock. I'ts very ****ing windy up there, and at times it feels like you are walking through a sand blaster. There is not much to do up there but drink beer and eat. Hmmm come to think about it, that's no so bad afterall! lol They have some good mexican food up there, if that is your thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2007
  10. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

A friend of mine went to grad school there and said the live music scene in Lubbock is kinda like a smaller Austin. He said you just need to know where to go.

11. Skidmark

Looks like 3 sports bars are within staggering distance of the stadium.
    Fourth Street Sports Bar
    Mesquites Bar & Grill
    Skooner's Grill & Bar

Not much info about these places. Wonder where the best place will be to catch the WS after the CU game.

12. Skidmark

Recon on Lubbock from frequent touristas.
    Mexican Grub - Pedro's Tamales, Josie's Authentic Mexican Restaurant (breakfast burrito not to be missed)
    Other Dining - Stella's, Gardsky's Lofts
    Tailgate - Raider Alley / RaiderGate - on Campus
    Sports Bars for Game 3 - Cujo's Sports Bar or Chips
    Nightlife/bands - Depot District - various bars with live music.

There are establishments that serve booze. Liquor stores, however, are out in the strip.
    Haven't confirmed whether or not AT&T Jones stadium still serves beer. "Bring your flask".

Hot Damn! Can't wait to explore sand-aggiedom. Don't expect to see the "Lubbock Lights", but do expect flying tortillas and a rousing rendition of the fight song with thebplayers after CU's historic first win at TT. Go Buffs!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  13. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Hell, I went to tt back in '72-'73. All we did was go to the Circle where all the liquor stores are, buy beer and rum, and go back to the dorm. I had no car so spent my time on campus. That and the Foosball Parlor. All I did at TT was drink, smoke pot, and grow my hair and beard out. That is probably a big reason why I got a letter after the school year kindly asking me not to bother returning. :lol: