What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dick Weiss: Big Ten targeting Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse

JimmyBuff

The Big Ten is preparing for a massive expansion that could see it grow from 11 to 16teams and it could take as many as four, possibly five teams from the Big East to make it happen.

If it does, it could leave the Big East on life support.

If Syracuse, Rutgers and Pitt bolt for the Big Ten, Big East football could be dead as early as the start of the 2012 season. It could leave Louisville, Cincinnati, Connecticut, West Virginia and South Florida scrambling to merge with the best teams from Conference USA to form their own hybrid league.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c..._prepares_big_bite_on_east.html#ixzz0lqJGuhD5

So if they add those 3 what would be the other 2? ND and Nebraska?

Conference breakdown with Big East teams only:
EAST
Pitt
Syracuse
Rutgers
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan State
Michigan

WEST
Purdue
Indiana
Northwestern
Illnois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa

Actually not a terrible 14 team conference there..

this is kind of the scenario that makes sense to me, some. however, i'm pretty sure we're nearing the point where *all the possible scenarios* will be floated and the earth will consume itself in fire. alpha, omega.

Rutgers. Seriously?

I really don't think adding Rutgers is going to have the impact that the B10 believes it will. I suppose time will tell.

This stuff is so fluid. The Rutgers boards have been lit up lately with rumors that Pitt has been dropped from contention, due largely to their poor TV potential.

Talk about a lopsided conference, Ohio St, Penn St, and Michigan in the same division? In that scenario:

Big 16 East : Big 16 West
as
Big 12 South : Big 12 North

this is kind of the scenario that makes sense to me, some. however, i'm pretty sure we're nearing the point where *all the possible scenarios* will be floated and the earth will consume itself in fire. alpha, omega.
Ultimately expansion is about making more money for the existing members. If the pie increases by 10% but you are feeding 30% more mouths then it does not make sense. I think fans bases are much more enthusiastic about expansion than some of the ADs and University Presidents. This is why I expect the CU to the PAC 10 thing could get tripped up. The Big 10 just wants a championship game and needs another team to make it work out.

I wonder if the Big 12 will follow suit by raiding the MWC and adding Utah and TCU. all we hear about is a PAC 10 expansion, why not the Big 12. Adding both those teams would make it a much stronger conference.

This stuff is so fluid. The Rutgers boards have been lit up lately with rumors that Pitt has been dropped from contention, due largely to their poor TV potential.

I can almost guarantee Pitt will be going if the Big Ten takes more than one.. The Big 10 will want an academic school profile like Pitt to be in its conference if it is expanding over one team..

I'm not sold that Rutgers will be part of any Big 10 expansion... I think UCONN adds just as much and is a better athletic program than Rutgers.. Syracuse being included will bring in the New York market..(yes, I know Syracuse isn't in NYC and is in the western part of New York but many alums live in the city)

I wonder if the Big 12 will follow suit by raiding the MWC and adding Utah and TCU. all we hear about is a PAC 10 expansion, why not the Big 12. Adding both those teams would make it a much stronger conference.

What does TCU add? We already have 4 teams in Texas... I say Utah is a definite choice but not sure where else we would expand.. Pluck off Louisville if the Big East crumbes? Take New Mexico to balance the North/South border?

It would be great if we could add Utah and Arky but I don't see Arky leaving..

I'm not sold that Rutgers will be part of any Big 10 expansion... I think UCONN adds just as much and is a better athletic program than Rutgers.. Syracuse being included will bring in the New York market..(yes, I know Syracuse isn't in NYC and is in the western part of New York but many alums live in the city)

That's :bs:. Rutgers is about 25 miles from NYC. The NYC local media (newspapers and and TV) cover Rutgers they don't talk about Syracuse.

That's :bs:. Rutgers is about 25 miles from NYC. The NYC local media (newspapers and and TV) cover Rutgers they don't talk about Syracuse.

I dispute that they follow Rutgers.. NY Times, NY Post, NY daily news really cover Rutgers? I don't see any link/category in the NY Post that has Rutgers on it.. I see the Devils/Nets but no Rutgers..

College sports isn't very big in New York other than basketball at times.. And last I looked Rutgers doesn't have a basketball progarm.

Do they make it financially stronger? What is the advantage for the Big 12? The Utah TV market is okay but is it going to offset having to feed 2 more mouths?

Rutgers is not and will not be that big of a draw in the NYC area, even if they were to join the Big 10. Syracuse or ND would be a bigger attraction to the NYC market than Rutgers.

Also, from the article list above:

If anyone thinks a team such as Rutgers can provide the Big Ten with a gateway to the East Coast, they will soon find the East has little interest in football on Saturday and looks to the game only on Sundays and Monday nights.

Rutgers is not and will not be that big of a draw in the NYC area, even if they were to join the Big 10. Syracuse or ND would be a bigger attraction to the NYC market than Rutgers.

Also, from the article list above:

re: the quote (above).....every native and transplant New Yorker I know thinks anything west of the Appalachians is either Provincial or "fly-over" country or where knuckle-dragging red state, pre-historic man lives. I don't see how that will make them all-of-a-sudden interested in Midwestern football (heck, I love college football and I can hardly watch the early ESPN Big 10 games on Saturdays...without having a concurrent project, a healthy start on the beers, and muting the the TV in favor of tunes).

And last I looked Rutgers doesn't have a basketball progarm.

You might want to look a little more often...

Rutgers will play its 103rd season of collegiate men's basketball in 2009-10.
:lol:

They aren't great in basketball, and I think even their football program has to be a bit questionable as far as what happens if Schiano moves on... But I think they're competent enough and good enough academically that the Big Televen could justify taking them if it gets them enough TV sets....

Here is some info from my cousin who lives in the heart of Manhattan. Basically NYC loves a winner but it's mainly a pro sports town.

[FONT=&quot]Rutgers football gets a lot more coverage since Schiano took over. Much more than Syracuse football at this time.

Syracuse hoops gets more than Rutgers hoops. Seton Hall hoops also gets more local coverage than Rutgers. Though I'm guessing a successful season or two could change that. St. John's is still the number one hoops team in terms of coverage, even when they're horrible. There are a lot of Cuse and UConn fans running around though.

I would say since Schiano, Rutgers has gotten more football coverage than I can ever remember. Especially the Ray Rice team that almost went undefeated. Rutgers women's hoops team gets more coverage than the men. It's really about who's winning.

I think Rutgers can be considered the metro area's college football team. But not basketball. That said, it's a pro town. The only college team that can really grab the city's attention is St John's hoops, followed by Rutgers football to a lesser extent. Not an easy question to answer in just a couple of sentences. And I'm not sure I even answered it. [/FONT]

Here is some info from my cousin who lives in the heart of Manhattan. I asked him about Rutgers coverage in NYC. Basically, NYC loves a winner but it's mainly a pro sports town.

[FONT=&quot]Rutgers football gets a lot more coverage since Schiano took over. Much more than Syracuse football at this time.

Syracuse hoops gets more than Rutgers hoops. Seton Hall hoops also gets more local coverage than Rutgers. Though I'm guessing a successful season or two could change that. St. John's is still the number one hoops team in terms of coverage, even when they're horrible. There are a lot of Cuse and UConn fans running around though.

I would say since Schiano, Rutgers has gotten more football coverage than I can ever remember. Especially the Ray Rice team that almost went undefeated. Rutgers women's hoops team gets more coverage than the men. It's really about who's winning.

I think Rutgers can be considered the metro area's college football team. But not basketball. That said, it's a pro town. The only college team that can really grab the city's attention is St John's hoops, followed by Rutgers football to a lesser extent. Not an easy question to answer in just a couple of sentences. And I'm not sure I even answered it. [/FONT]

Bottom line is that CU is waiting to be asked to dance, but can't make any overtures to the Pac 10. We may wink or blush in the general direction of Pac 10, but we still wait.

If the Big 10 only looks east, our chances of going to the Pac 10 are very slim. But if the Big 10 plucks one or more from the Big 12, our chances of going to the the PAC 10 increase significantly.

The big 10's delay for another 12 to 18 months is also not a good thing. We need the Pac 10 to come courting this summer, and the now the Big 10 is stalling. That's bad news for those who want to move to the Pac 10.

I don't see the link between who the Big 10 goes after and CU's chance of moving to the Pac 10. The Pac 10 is going to invite whoever will bring the most to their conference - how does the Big 10 going after a Big 12 team improve CU's chances?

And it seems like we're all assuming that the Pac 10 is waiting for the Big 10 to make the first move - that doesn't make sense to me either, these should be independent decisions.

I don't see the link between who the Big 10 goes after and CU's chance of moving to the Pac 10. The Pac 10 is going to invite whoever will bring the most to their conference - how does the Big 10 going after a Big 12 team improve CU's chances?

And it seems like we're all assuming that the Pac 10 is waiting for the Big 10 to make the first move - that doesn't make sense to me either, these should be independent decisions.

:yeahthat:

I'm not sure that the Big 10's plans have much bearing on what happens with CU, frankly. It could give CU more or less leverage, though. If, for instance, the Big 10 goes East, then CU has more leverage with the Pac 10 because the Big 12 hasn't been impacted. If the Big 10 goes West, then CU's hand is forced somewhat. We want to be the first chip to fall, not the last.

Back