What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Did the Buffs quit against Arizona?

I don't know if they quit. I have a hard time getting a read on the team under MacIntyre. They run around hard and they say the right things but I don't see them digging down deep to get that extra little spark.

They didn't quit. However, teams take on the identity of their coach and I'm afraid MM just doesn't have that killer instinct. I believe that's what we saw against Oregon, Arizona and OSU for that matter. OSU just isn't talented enough to expose it.

I don't know if they quit. I have a hard time getting a read on the team under MacIntyre. They run around hard and they say the right things but I don't see them digging down deep to get that extra little spark.

It's called soft and has to do with culture, it's what has been missing since GB self destructed.

Quit? I don't think so-Thats what Miami did the other day. Were soft? I don't think so-at least defensively.....got gashed, adjusted, and then failed to adjust to Randall. MM has a tendency to play not to lose-look at the decision to punt with three minutes left against Utah last year, trying to play ball control to protect a 7 point lead against UA.....When you're 2 and whatever he is as coach in the Pac 12, that just won't work. With an atrocious defense against the Utes last year, you gotta go for it-if you fail to convert and Utah scores again, whatever. You gotta go for the knockout when you have a conference opponent down-didn't happen against UA.

We are still arguing semantics. When the game was on the line, we stepped on our crank. You can assign any term you want to what happened. The game was ours and we gave it away. Call it quitting. Call it lack of killer instinct. Call it whatever you want. Same thing.

We would lose the first game, but win the rest including a national title. Every team would fear us and lay down as we rolled over them. Unfortunately a dark shadow would hang over all of college football as they mourn the tragic loss of our first opponent to a mysterious accident with no trace of them to be found. Word quickly spreads to other teams about the danger of playing to win against us and about speaking out about it. Also HCVP rides Ralph (female buffalo is too small for our new coach) out of the tunnel shirtless to lead the team and never dismounts him during the game. No one questions this.

We are still arguing semantics. When the game was on the line, we stepped on our crank. You can assign any term you want to what happened. The game was ours and we gave it away. Call it quitting. Call it lack of killer instinct. Call it whatever you want. Same thing.

I kind of like autocrankstepping.

Sorry to belabor this, my feeling is that quitting is a character defect, lack of killer instinct is perhaps a coaching defect, lack of comparative talent is just a fact. So same outcome, but not really the same thing, IMO.

Please troll harder

I've met his dad, he doesn't seem like much of a rocker.
Somebody say rocker?

tumblr_llfs9nFE8s1qjx6n6o1_500.gif

Call it quitting, stepping on our cranks, whatever. I don't think it comes from the kids. I think what you see late in games is a result of a combination of a lack of depth and an inability to readjust to whatever the other team presents us with in the 4th quarter, especially offensively. It seems we're good for one decent offensive possession in the 2nd half, usually early in the 3rd quarter, then we're stuffed until trash time.

As far as UA's offensive explosion in the 4th quarter, meh. We can't deal with running QBs. As has been pointed out a million times now, the game was lost when the offense was stuffed pretty much all of the 3rd quarter.

They just froze (the coaches that is). Literally pooped their pants and stopped being aggressive. They tried to play conservative and milk clock and didn't stuff the box vs the run only qb. Dumb coaching on both sides.

Bullish!t. They quit against Arizona. Up by 7 in the 4th quarter only to give up 21 points, with two drives of 95 yards. That's a team that quit. They thought they had it won and let off the gas.
Maybe it's semantics...I don't know if it's quitting but someone on the O said something about them not laying on the gas and putting the game away...sounds more like lack of maturity/killer instinct.

It's called soft and has to do with culture, it's what has been missing since GB self destructed.

Agree completely. They did not quit. I think it is a mentality and a killer instinct. This is something that has to be part of the culture and it was completely lost during the Hawkins/Embree era and it is taking a long time to get rid of the losing ways. Saturday was a step in the right direction. Was it perfect, no but progress is being made. I have not seed this team quit. I have seen them be out athleted and other teams have a better understanding of how to win.

Agree completely. They did not quit. I think it is a mentality and a killer instinct. This is something that has to be part of the culture and it was completely lost during the Hawkins/Embree era and it is taking a long time to get rid of the losing ways. Saturday was a step in the right direction. Was it perfect, no but progress is being made. I have not seed this team quit. I have seen them be out athleted and other teams have a better understanding of how to win.

We've won what, 5 conference games in 5 years? And none last year?

It's not hard to imagine that the kids had (and probably still have) fragile psyches. Hopefully Saturday night helped some, but it's going to take time and more success for them to truly believe they can win any game. I'm sure that at least going into last game, they were prone to thinking "here we go again" whenever things went wrong, especially late in games.

To me, that's not surprising, and I don't think it's anything more than can be expected at this point. You have your heart ripped out so many times, it's probably hard to not just expect it after a while. The only way out is to be the team that starts doing the ripping.

This is one of the huge problems with being as bad as we have been for as long as we have been.

It's one thing to work hard and try hard, it's another to apply that to winning games. Nobody on this team has had any real experience winning big games that come down to the the end of the game. We finally go one of those with the CSU win this year but even that one we should have won in regulation and that wasn't against a team with P5 talent.

Players and teams have to know how to win and make it a habit. They have to expect the things to happen that make those games come out in their favor. Once Coach Mac got things going in the late 80's and into the 90's our players expected to win every game and guys stepped up to make it happen. Yes there were the right coaches calls but there we also a lot of players who went past the play call to make something happen. We don't have that right now, it is something that you learn.

I thought they quit against CSU last year but I'd say no against Zona. They have some issues but I wouldn't say quit is one of them.

It was in one of the last two offensive drives in the Arizona game where there was just something about how the players were going to line for next play. They were hustling, but it almost seemed like they were hustling to get to the end of the game. "Run, don't walk; do it a couple more times and then it's all over" was what I got from the body language.

No, they didn't quit - in the same way a factory line worker doesn't quit until his shift is over. Like the shift worker who has mentally checked out the last few minutes, but is still going through the motions, the team appeared to have accepted the loss and was thinking about how they didn't want to run bleachers in practice because they didn't "hustle" the last few plays of the game.

No, they were inexplicably unprepared to defend that particular running QB who took over the game. I've never seen one player have that dramatic an impact, but they were helpless/clueless. You have to place some of the blame on the coaches, as well as our inability to make a single stop.

No, they were inexplicably unprepared to defend that particular running QB who took over the game. I've never seen one player have that dramatic an impact, but they were helpless/clueless. You have to place some of the blame on the coaches, as well as our inability to make a single stop.
Having great edge players (DEs/Pass Rushing OLBs) and LBs is the key to stopping the zone read/read option. I don't think Randall's success was due to us being unprepared, but more due to the fact that we lack talent, speed and play making ability at those positions.

Back