What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Did We Just Murder Oregon Football?

Did We Just Murder Oregon Football

• Yes

Votes: 45 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 52.1%

• Total voters
No-i thought they were done after last year's Utah game, and they still won 9 games. They're not what they were with Mariota at QB, but they're still pretty good.

No way we murdered UO's football team.

They just lost their starting LT for the season and have three to five freshmen playing on the OL which will pay dividends down the road for them. All they need is a playmaker at QB and they are back in business.

They just lost their starting LT for the season and have three to five freshmen playing on the OL which will pay dividends down the road for them. All they need is a playmaker at QB and they are back in business.
Anda defense

I think the most notable thing about the change in Oregon on Saturday is that they seemed gun shy. They thrived on brashness and a supreme confidence. But we saw a team that would choose to punt on 4th down. A team that didn't go for 2 after its first TD. That didn't take shots deep downfield. That didn't go as fast as CU with its offensive tempo.

That's the biggest thing to me. They're still good with a very potent offense. But the mystique is gone.

They had a generational coach and player and both are gone. Helfrich worked for Hawkins. Enough said?
So Peterson Made Hawkins.

Helfrich got lucky to get out of Boulder and picked up a nice job with the Ducks. Never figured out what he did as "OC" under Kelley.

Strange how it all works.

What that article doesn't mention is that in that Cotton Bowl beatdown on New Years Day in '96, Skippy piled it on late in the game with a trick play as I recall ... fake punt or something like that. Bellotti didn't like that too much, and frankly I couldn't blame him. It was totally unnecessary and only served to humiliate and enrage the Ducks and their fans.

It also was the beginning of my disillusionment with Slick Rick, which of course was validated by his hasty exit to the U-Dub job in anticipation of NCAA sanctions to eventually come in 2002 for his myriad recruiting violations and which justly earned him a "show cause" order and an embargo of his off-campus recruiting for a year at U-Dub. I'm fairly sure it was the first time ever that the NCAA sanctioned a coach at one university for violations committed at his former school.
I can't believe I'm going to defend Skippy, but I don't think it's fair to say that "he called" the fake punt. His story, which I believe, and which makes complete sense, is that they had seen something in film, and coached the team to take advantage if it happened in the game.

They practiced it in the weeks leading up to the game: if their punt coverage team does X, switch to the fake. If they don't do X, punt as normal.

Skippy called for a punt, Oregon's punt coverage did X, the CU players on the field saw it, and did what they had practiced doing: switched to the fake. It was not a play called from the sideline by a coach trying to run up the score.

Total meltdown in Duck Dynasty land right now. Helfrich has been deemed responsible for their two game losing streak (Oregon had the longest streak in the nation of not losing two in a row). If they have to start over again with a new coach, I don't see that going well. It's becoming a worse job every day, and a little harder to recruit there every year. The bandwagon exodus has been fast.

Nebraska RIP 2001
Oregon RIP 2016

What say you?

If it weren't for Witherspoon we might not have won. They were making a game of it against us at that point.

62-36 on the other hand was a game where we exposed them to be a fraud. Oregon also had cracks in the facade that NU didn't and it was late in the season. Oregon has a lot of underclassman starting this year and we all know too well what that looks like. Compared to a CU team with 50 something Jrs and Srs CU is better then Oregon this year. Helfrich might be in trouble. But I think they bounce back. Phil has too much invested in the brand.

Last edited:

Prokup is a pretty damn good QB.

I think the most notable thing about the change in Oregon on Saturday is that they seemed gun shy. They thrived on brashness and a supreme confidence. But we saw a team that would choose to punt on 4th down. A team that didn't go for 2 after its first TD. That didn't take shots deep downfield. That didn't go as fast as CU with its offensive tempo.

That's the biggest thing to me. They're still good with a very potent offense. But the mystique is gone.

When they lined up to go for two the whole stadium booed

C'mon guys, I'm riding high like the rest of you, but there is no way this is even comparable to 62-36. Nebraska looked invincible that season, they were our rival, and we flat out embarrassed them.

Oregon is coming off of a loss, even though I hate them we probably barely register on their radar (or did before Saturday), and we needed a last second INT to best them.

This is a major stepping stone win for the CU program, but I doubt it means that much to Oregon.
When they lined up to go for two the whole stadium booed

Oops.

Oregon is on the downside of a great run. They still are loaded with athletes but are learning that you still have to coach them.

Whoever chose this Disney outfits for them last night sure didn't help either

Just noticed the picture of the Rice Marching Band making fun of Baylor. Very nice!!! and F*** Baylor.

We only "murdered" Oregon football in the eyes of those who still think we stink and that any loss to CU is an unbearable embarrassment.

We're a good team, and we won a tight game that was in question until the final minute. I don't think that qualifies as a 'murderous' loss.

They had a generational coach and player and both are gone. Helfrich worked for Hawkins. Enough said?

Dennis Dixon and Jeremiah Masoli were pretty phenomenal QBs that they had as well. However Oregon has never been able to develop a backup that is able to come in and even sniff that success. When those QBs went down the offense came to a halt.

It does get us closer to getting back to being a douche fan base though. Keep winning so we can get back to what we are.

It does get us closer to getting back to being a douche fan base though. Keep winning so we can get back to what we are.

Yep. It's a totally different animal when you're winning. Case in point: academic smack. When you suck and you run academic smack, it's just pathetic. When you're kicking ass on the field and you run academic smack, it's rubbing salt in the wound.

We only "murdered" Oregon football in the eyes of those who still think we stink and that any loss to CU is an unbearable embarrassment.

We're a good team, and we won a tight game that was in question until the final minute. I don't think that qualifies as a 'murderous' loss.
Fully agree with this. In which case, I think we may have murdered Oregon football. To them, this was like the Montana State game. To the rest of the country, they saw a team on the rise, go on the road, and beat an unranked yet normally good team that is having an off year. Psychology is a mother****er - I think it was way harder on the Ducks that it was in normal reality.

In the short term, i hope the Ducks turn it around and have a good season so that our win looks that much better. In the long run, I hope they never recover from this, and suck for all of eternity.

To see the UO fan message boards, you would think the sky is falling. They are calling for the head of one of the very small handful of head coaches who have ever coached an NCAA Football Natty Championship Game. This loss really rattled the fan base, who are used to seeing the scrubs play by halftime against CU and still increasing the margin of victory. They simply don't know how much the Buffs have actually improved.

To see the UO fan message boards, you would think the sky is falling. They are calling for the head of one of the very small handful of head coaches who have ever coached an NCAA Football Natty Championship Game. This loss really rattled the fan base, who are used to seeing the scrubs play by halftime against CU and still increasing the margin of victory. They simply don't know how much the Buffs have actually improved.

I think it was only the 2nd time in like 15 seasons that they'd lost 2 games in a row. If CU goes on a run like that, you bet your ass I'd think the sky was falling if we lost 2 straight to teams that went, respectively, 6-7 & 4-9 the previous year.

I think it was only the 2nd time in like 15 seasons that they'd lost 2 games in a row. If CU goes on a run like that, you bet your ass I'd think the sky was falling if we lost 2 straight to teams that went, respectively, 6-7 & 4-9 the previous year.

I agree. A couple of the people whom I love most in the world (my brother and my best friend) are huge Ducks fans, but they have been spoiled for so long. I've tried to be respectful over this loss. Oregon will always have Phil's money, but I'm telling you CU has caught up with what Made Oregon Great. The CU football facilities are newer and better than UO's , the uniforms are better, the offensive tempo is better, and judging by this past Saturday, the team is better.

I was at the Rose Bowl on January 1, 2015, with seats on the 50 years line, mid-level, comped by my best friend referenced above. Oregon absolutely destroyed unbeaten Florida State (59-20) for the right to play Ohio in the BCS National Championship game. This was only 21 months ago. The result on Saturday was caused by both the rise at CU and a decline at UO, but c'mon, you have to the Buffs some credit.

The fans don't realize how destructive firing Helfrich would be. The Oregon scheme is easy enough to emulate and many have. As many have noted, the real novelty of the Oregon system is how they practice. Chip Kelly invented and managed a system of highly coordinated practices and meetings that accomplish twice as much as the other schools who think they are organized. Each practice is highly scripted and no one ever stands around. It provides both instruction and conditioning. Each meeting is very planned ahead of time. Nothing is ad hoc. It is a culture of perfect execution. When the Philadelphia Eagles came and visited Kelly they commented they had never seen practices run anywhere near that well. They were amazed at some of the creative ways Kelly achieved continual focus on detail. Running the system takes an excellent planner and manager, which many head coaches are not. As an assistant Helfrich was so OCD and detail oriented that he probably saved and labeled each of his ****s...the kind of guy Kelly needed. When Kelly left, Oregon hired Helfrich (over many more prestigious coaches) because they knew that Kelly had mentored him and started to trust him to run day-to-day affairs. Barring a return of Kelly, I don't think there is anyone else who could keep Oregon Oregon.

The fans don't realize how destructive firing Helfrich would be. The Oregon scheme is easy enough to emulate and many have. As many have noted, the real novelty of the Oregon system is how they practice. Chip Kelly invented and managed a system of highly coordinated practices and meetings that accomplish twice as much as the other schools who think they are organized. Each practice is highly scripted and no one ever stands around. It provides both instruction and conditioning. Each meeting is very planned ahead of time. Nothing is ad hoc. It is a culture of perfect execution. When the Philadelphia Eagles came and visited Kelly they commented they had never seen practices run anywhere near that well. They were amazed at some of the creative ways Kelly achieved continual focus on detail. Running the system takes an excellent planner and manager, which many head coaches are not. As an assistant Helfrich was so OCD and detail oriented that he probably saved and labeled each of his ****s...the kind of guy Kelly needed. When Kelly left, Oregon hired Helfrich (over many more prestigious coaches) because they knew that Kelly had mentored him and started to trust him to run day-to-day affairs. Barring a return of Kelly, I don't think there is anyone else who could keep Oregon Oregon.
Plus... Their offense is still pretty good. Their problems are youth and a bad dc hire. Firing helfy is a big risk when you can fix the issues with time

Back