What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Did We Just Murder Oregon Football?

Did We Just Murder Oregon Football

• Yes

Votes: 45 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 52.1%

• Total voters
I think it can now be said that the answer is YES. We killed Oregon football. They are dead dead dead.

After they lost to us came the dreaded players only meeting. Some rumblings of locker room problems after WSU and now indications that locker room issues are getting worse. That will only magnify. Os next six games include Utah, Stanford and SC. Of those 6 they need to win four to make it to the post season. Their easiest two games are ASU at home next week and @OSU. They might not be favored in either.

No way coaching staff stays if they don't make it to the post season, and without Helfrich that Chip Kelly style of football is gone forever. Art Briles is too hot to handle and Les Miles is the wrong guy. So starts the 3 and done coaches and the inevitable death spiral.

Last edited:
Yup.

59196dc13bca648314ecb71f041cca40.jpg

In a bizzaro universe, CU teamed up with Nebraska to slay the Oregon empire. But I consider it more like hunting a deer.
Nebraska took the shot that injured the deer. And as the deer lay there, unable to move, CU calmly walked over and put the finishing bullet in its head. Then the rest of the teams afterward just cut the deer up and made steaks and jerky (UDub ground them up into deer burgers) and whatnot.

In a bizzaro universe, CU teamed up with Nebraska to slay the Oregon empire. But I consider it more like hunting a deer.
Nebraska took the shot that injured the deer. And as the deer lay there, unable to move, CU calmly walked over and put the finishing bullet in its head. Then the rest of the teams afterward just cut the deer up and made steaks and jerky (UDub ground them up into deer burgers) and whatnot.

They weren't that injured. Sure a single loss on the road stung them a bit but it was a bee sting. They were still undefeated in conference play. Nebraska is now a top 10 team (although that won't stick). They could still have won the conference and even played in the championship series and won the Natty. It was a bee sting.

We took their confidence from them, started to make them doubt their coaches, their teammates and most importantly, their individual selves. It also took away everything above, which is why they play. They don't think going 6-6 and to a bowl is a success.

Colorado took out Helfrich and Oregon for 1 year. They got enough talent that they can be good within a year or two (see Michigan). They need to make a move and replace Helfrich with a guy who can actually coach. And (not surprisingly from me), a guy who can coach will then be able to recruit. Combine a winner with Nike U, and the kids will come. Probably a guy with good defense in his resume.

They weren't that injured. Sure a single loss on the road stung them a bit but it was a bee sting. They were still undefeated in conference play. Nebraska is now a top 10 team (although that won't stick). They could still have won the conference and even played in the championship series and won the Natty. It was a bee sting.

We took their confidence from them, started to make them doubt their coaches, their teammates and most importantly, their individual selves. It also took away everything above, which is why they play. They don't think going 6-6 and to a bowl is a success.

Colorado took out Helfrich and Oregon for 1 year. They got enough talent that they can be good within a year or two (see Michigan). They need to make a move and replace Helfrich with a guy who can actually coach. And (not surprisingly from me), a guy who can coach will then be able to recruit. Combine a winner with Nike U, and the kids will come. Probably a guy with good defense in his resume.
That Nebraska loss had them questioning their entire system though, when is the last time you heard fans at Autzen boo when the team tried to go for two after a touchdown? That is a drastic change in mentality by their fans and team.

That Nebraska loss had them questioning their entire system though, when is the last time you heard fans at Autzen boo when the team tried to go for two after a touchdown? That is a drastic change in mentality by their fans and team.
Yeah, but they weren't booing the team (yet). They were booing Helfrich for going 1 for 5 on 2 pt PAT conversions. That's 2 points out of 5. The margin of defeat? 3

Oregon still felt pretty good about themselves as a team until Colorado reached into their chest cavity the following weak, and removed their heart! You can enjoy that one @onealcd, really it's ok!

They got enough talent that they can be good within a year or two (see Michigan). They need to make a move and replace Helfrich with a guy who can actually coach. And (not surprisingly from me), a guy who can coach will then be able to recruit. Combine a winner with Nike U, and the kids will come. Probably a guy with good defense in his resume.

So Leavitt is headed to Oregon? SCOOOP!

Yeah, but they weren't booing the team (yet). They were booing Helfrich for going 1 for 5 on 2 pt PAT conversions. That's 2 points out of 5. The margin of defeat? 3

Oregon still felt pretty good about themselves as a team until Colorado reached into their chest cavity the following weak, and removed their heart! You can enjoy that one @onealcd, really it's ok!
I am well aware of why they were booing but it is still a fanbase frustrated with an identity that took them to the heights they were at.

I think it can now be said that the answer is YES. We killed Oregon football. They are dead dead dead.

After they lost to us came the dreaded players only meeting. Some rumblings of locker room problems after WSU and now indications that locker room issues are getting worse. That will only magnify. Os next six games include Utah, Stanford and SC. Of those 6 they need to win four to make it to the post season. Their easiest two games are ASU at home next week and @OSU. They might not be favored in either.

No way coaching staff stays if they don't make it to the post season, and without Helfrich that Chip Kelly style of football is gone forever. Art Briles is too hot to handle and Les Miles is the wrong guy. So starts the 3 and done coaches and the inevitable death spiral.
They need to get back to what made them great. They should hire some real Ducks, like LaGarette Blount as their RB/boxing coach.

I am well aware of why they were booing but it is still a fanbase frustrated with an identity that took them to the heights they were at.
They may not be frustrated with the identity - but instead the execution of that identity.

An Oregon coaching changes seems mostly inevitable at this point. I haven't followed their coaching tree since Belotti was there, but I have to believe there are at least a few coordinators having a good run that were previously at Oregon that will get a serious look to "bring them back to what made them great".

I stopped paying attention after our win.

Ouch....

Sat, Sep 3vs
-m-0g58dd8__56x42.png
UC Davis
W 28 - 53Final
Sat, Sep 10vs
-m-026cfsc__56x42.png
Virginia
W 26 - 44Final
Sat, Sep 17@
-m-0bjkk9__56x42.png
Nebraska
L 32 - 35Final
Sat, Sep 24vs
-m-0f24cc__56x42.png
Colorado
L 41 - 38Final
Sat, Oct 1@
-m-026cmdc__56x42.png
Washington State
L 33 - 51Final
Sat, Oct 8vs
-m-0fgg8c__56x42.png
Washington
L 70 - 21Final
youtube-white.svg
Fri, Oct 21@upload_2016-10-12_12-5-29.pngCalifornia 8:30 PM
Sat, Oct 29vs
-m-026ldz7__56x42.png
Arizona State
TBD
Sat, Nov 5@
-m-07k53y__56x42.png
USC
TBD
Sat, Nov 12vs
-m-02pd1tf__56x42.png
Stanford
TBD
Sat, Nov 19@
-m-04n7ps6__56x42.png
Utah
TBD
Sat, Nov 26@
-m-0g2hw4__56x42.png
Oregon State
TBD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-12_12-5-29.jpeg
    upload_2016-10-12_12-5-29.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 8
  • upload_2016-10-12_12-5-29.jpeg
    upload_2016-10-12_12-5-29.jpeg
    6.8 KB · Views: 7
dumb ass' would have beat the nubs if they would have just kicked xtra points. That stupid go for two every time finally bit them in the ass

Ouch....

Sat, Sep 3vs
-m-0g58dd8__56x42.png
UC Davis
W 28 - 53Final
Sat, Sep 10vs
-m-026cfsc__56x42.png
Virginia
W 26 - 44Final
Sat, Sep 17@
-m-0bjkk9__56x42.png
Nebraska
L 32 - 35Final
Sat, Sep 24vs
-m-0f24cc__56x42.png
Colorado
L 41 - 38Final
Sat, Oct 1@
-m-026cmdc__56x42.png
Washington State
L 33 - 51Final
Sat, Oct 8vs
-m-0fgg8c__56x42.png
Washington
L 70 - 21Final
youtube-white.svg
Fri, Oct 21@View attachment 21001California8:30 PM
Sat, Oct 29vs
-m-026ldz7__56x42.png
Arizona State
TBD
Sat, Nov 5@
-m-07k53y__56x42.png
USC
TBD
Sat, Nov 12vs
-m-02pd1tf__56x42.png
Stanford
TBD
Sat, Nov 19@
-m-04n7ps6__56x42.png
Utah
TBD
Sat, Nov 26@
-m-0g2hw4__56x42.png
Oregon State
TBD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Dang. Based off of the rest of their schedule, they are probably looking at a 3, maybe 4 win season. Talk about nose dive

dumb ass' would have beat the nubs if they would have just kicked xtra points. That stupid go for two every time finally bit them in the ass

Especially if they had just stuck to script. Pretty sure that they went for 2 after their first TD and converted. So, if they'd just done their norm and kicked the XP for all the scores that followed then Oregon would have scored 36 that day instead of 32 (in a 32-35 loss).

Ouch....

Sat, Sep 3vs
-m-0g58dd8__56x42.png
UC Davis
W 28 - 53Final
Sat, Sep 10vs
-m-026cfsc__56x42.png
Virginia
W 26 - 44Final
Sat, Sep 17@
-m-0bjkk9__56x42.png
Nebraska
L 32 - 35Final
Sat, Sep 24vs
-m-0f24cc__56x42.png
Colorado
L 41 - 38Final
Sat, Oct 1@
-m-026cmdc__56x42.png
Washington State
L 33 - 51Final
Sat, Oct 8vs
-m-0fgg8c__56x42.png
Washington
L 70 - 21Final
youtube-white.svg
Fri, Oct 21@View attachment 21001California8:30 PM
Sat, Oct 29vs
-m-026ldz7__56x42.png
Arizona State
TBD
Sat, Nov 5@
-m-07k53y__56x42.png
USC
TBD
Sat, Nov 12vs
-m-02pd1tf__56x42.png
Stanford
TBD
Sat, Nov 19@
-m-04n7ps6__56x42.png
Utah
TBD
Sat, Nov 26@
-m-0g2hw4__56x42.png
Oregon State
TBD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That could quite easily be a 5-7 finish....

I don't think the loss to you was the breaking point, but it was one of many kinks in the dam that finally burst.
The first kink was hiring Helfrich.
2nd Kink was promoting Helfrich to HC.
3rd was the Utah loss
4th was TCU
5th was Nebraska 2-point calls
6th was you guys
7th was players quitting and a player only meeting that apparently did dick **** all.
8th WSU smacking us around.
9th and probably the deal breaker was UW beating us. Its not that UW just beat us as most of us didn't think we were going to beat UW, but losing by 49 and giving up 70 points was something else.
The other large issue I suppose I left out was the fact he not only made the mistake of hiring Pellum over Orlando, but than after Pellums god awful season as a DC he demoted him. Any other school would have fired him, but nope Oregon decided it was a good idea to keep him because he was loyal. **** him and his loyalty because loyalty means nothing if you are god awful at your job.

I'm try to figure out what "that apparently did dick **** all" means. Nothing rolls off the tongue for me.

PS - CD - that seems about right. We weren't huge fans of Helfrich as our OC when Oregon took him from us (we looked at it as addition by subtraction). The promotion to HC was wildly surprising to most in Buffland for the same reasons.

I'm try to figure out what "that apparently did dick **** all" means. Nothing rolls off the tongue for me.

PS - CD - that seems about right. We weren't huge fans of Helfrich as our OC when Oregon took him from us (we looked at it as addition by subtraction). The promotion to HC was wildly surprising to most in Buffland for the same reasons.

Sh*t was the word that was blocked out. I didn't mind the Helfrich hire as an OC as Kelly was doing the play calling, but once he was HC I almost cried myself to sleep.

I don't think the loss to you was the breaking point, but it was one of many kinks in the dam that finally burst.
The first kink was hiring Helfrich.
2nd Kink was promoting Helfrich to HC.
3rd was the Utah loss
4th was TCU
5th was Nebraska 2-point calls
6th was you guys
7th was players quitting and a player only meeting that apparently did dick **** all.
8th WSU smacking us around.
9th and probably the deal breaker was UW beating us. Its not that UW just beat us as most of us didn't think we were going to beat UW, but losing by 49 and giving up 70 points was something else.
The other large issue I suppose I left out was the fact he not only made the mistake of hiring Pellum over Orlando, but than after Pellums god awful season as a DC he demoted him. Any other school would have fired him, but nope Oregon decided it was a good idea to keep him because he was loyal. **** him and his loyalty because loyalty means nothing if you are god awful at your job.
Come talk to us after a decade of that. Oh, and put yourself on recruiting probation for a non scandal.

Come talk to us after a decade of that. Oh, and put yourself on recruiting probation for a non scandal.
If we don't get rid of Helfrich after this season it might take a decade to rebuild. If that happens I might have to send my donations somewhere else...

Back