1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Didn't see this discussed - Hirschman/Hansen from Saturday

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffarino, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Why start NH if they're just going to pull him and put in Hansen? Anyone know the deal with that?

2. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

whole discussion of this on an earlier thread, think it was the game thread but to lazy to check.

Think Embree was hoping that Hirsch would play well enough to let him give Hansen the week off. Hirsch looked totaly lost and was overwhelmed by the situation. Hansen came in, played better but we still got blown out. Later in the game Embree put Hirsch back in to get more game experience. He did a lot better against the walk-ons and 3rd stringers of ASU.

To me Embree couldn't stick with Hirsch if Hansen was available, it would look to the players that he had simply given up, exactly the attitude he is trying to change. Later when it was obvious he got Hansen out to keep him from getting further beat up. This also gave Hirsch more game experience which may help him in the future.

I don't think Hirsch is ever going to be our starter of choice but if he develops he may give us a decent backup meaning that if Wood wins the job next year with Hirsch as the backup we can RS Dillon and let him develop without pressure. As it is we will be going into next season with only Hirsch ever having taken live snaps in a real game, even if it is garbage time.

3. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

What's the outlook on wood? Was he good enough to eventually start at texas? Can he be a solid starter here? Arm strength etc..?

4. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

I think the coaches handled this situation as well as it could be handled. It did make me think at the time but with Hansen only being cleared to play on Saturday morning and NH having all the reps that week, they had to see what NH could do. Once it was clear he was a deer in headlights, they had to give to TH if there was any chance to be competitive.

5. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

He was 4th on the depth chart at Texas, but given the state of their QB position this year, he probably would have played if he had stayed.

6. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Million dollar question. I don't have a clue.

Coaching at Texas, especially at the QB position is so screwed up it is hard to tell. This is the same staff that insisted on playing Chrissy Simms and gave us a conference championship. Lots of politics involved.

Based on the little video that we have of Wood and based on who else wanted him out of HS he is talented enough to be a quality starter. Has the arm strength, good mobility, throws a good ball. How that translates into being a starting college QB is always something that has to be seen.

I think based on the little I have seen that he is a major step up from Hirsch. My hope is that he can take the job next year with Hirsch as the backup giving Dillon a year to develop as a RS. The year after Wood is a jr and Dillon competes for the backup job. From there if Dillon is outstanding and Wood isn't progressing Dillon competes to take the job from him, if Wood is outstanding then Dillon develops and takes over the job as a jr. with somebody else developing behind him as a solid backup and future starter.

7. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Well, LSU was interested in having Wood transfer there, so I am guessing he is still highly regarded as a legit BCS player, despite what happened at UT....

8. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

sounds about right, not many reps during the week before game... Hirsch struggles, go with the vet

9. Chuck_Schick

Chuck_Schick Active Member

Did anybody else see Schrock warming up in the 1st quarter?

10. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Saw that - I figured he was just playing catch with Nick to warm him up, but he did have his helmet on, whatever that means.

11. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Didn't want to start a separate thread about this, so I'll throw it in here. Did Ray Polk actually get any carries at running back or was he just the announced starter? The ASU PA announcer called his name after several CU offensive plays in the first quarter, but I assume this was a mistake because Plati's stats don't show him with any carries or yards (although Polk is the listed starter at running back for the game).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  12. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

I didn't see him get any carries and really not sure why he would with his injuries and lack of depth on defense. Probably the typical ASU education.

I'm rich bitch!

13. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Jones and Polk are both #26.

14. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

With Speedy and Richardson back for Friday, you gotta go with Hansen to start. While he is not a world beater, he looks ok, and this could be one hell of a last hurrah.

15. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Makes sense. It looks like they fixed the final statistics as well. Thanks.