What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Discussion of Religion in Recruiting

Not an issue...Mac rarely brings his religion publicly, and if it helps recruiting, I don't see a problem.

Many of these kids are raised by parents with religious values and are likely polite and respectful. I'd imagine they address coaches as "Sir" and that sort of thing. Therefore, I'd also imagine their parents want them in a program where these values will be stressed. I think most coaching staffs try to project to these parents that they are exactly the coaching staff the parents want their kids to be involved with. It's up to the player and his parents to discern fact from fiction.

Many of these kids are raised by parents with religious values and are likely polite and respectful. I'd imagine they address coaches as "Sir" and that sort of thing. Therefore, I'd also imagine their parents want them in a program where these values will be stressed. I think most coaching staffs try to project to these parents that they are exactly the coaching staff the parents want their kids to be involved with. It's up to the player and his parents to discern fact from fiction.

Carlo Kemp has a great family, just sayin.

Polite and respectful aren't only religious traits.

I am not sure how I missed this thread, but will give my two cents:
-Mike MacIntyre is religious and was named former FCA Coach of the Year recipient the year he came on board here
http://www.fca.org/about-fellowship.../award-winners/grant-teaff-coach-of-the-year/
-Religion/God/Jesus Christ play a huge role in MacIntyre's life, so it obviously is a large part in terms of football
-Football has always been one of those sports where religion isn't frowned upon with prayers before a game and when a person is injured on the field
-Many football teams hire a chaplain and require prayer/self reflection in some sorts
-Texas and the south is a very religious part of the country. Colorado is less stringent with religion and the amount of non-Christian types is much higher. If we offer a kid East of Colorado, he probably has a very heavy religious influence at home. And a lot of powerhouse schools are religious based (Valor, Regis, Mullen here) so these athletes have God in their daily life.
-I am a former agnostic/atheist type so I can see the difficulties in accepting it is part of coaching/conversations in recruiting but I can assure you truly religious parents would not let their kids go to a school where the coach doesn't have beliefs in line with their own.
-A student and family that is atheist/agnostic aren't going to play for a guy that preaches the word of God. Same as the Christian family. There are very few of those types from my experiences as a player, a coach and just casual observer.

I am not sure how I missed this thread, but will give my two cents:
-Mike MacIntyre is religious and was named former FCA Coach of the Year recipient the year he came on board here
http://www.fca.org/about-fellowship.../award-winners/grant-teaff-coach-of-the-year/
-Religion/God/Jesus Christ play a huge role in MacIntyre's life, so it obviously is a large part in terms of football
-Football has always been one of those sports where religion isn't frowned upon with prayers before a game and when a person is injured on the field
-Many football teams hire a chaplain and require prayer/self reflection in some sorts
-Texas and the south is a very religious part of the country. Colorado is less stringent with religion and the amount of non-Christian types is much higher. If we offer a kid East of Colorado, he probably has a very heavy religious influence at home. And a lot of powerhouse schools are religious based (Valor, Regis, Mullen here) so these athletes have God in their daily life.
-I am a former agnostic/atheist type so I can see the difficulties in accepting it is part of coaching/conversations in recruiting but I can assure you truly religious parents would not let their kids go to a school where the coach doesn't have beliefs in line with their own.
-A student and family that is atheist/agnostic aren't going to play for a guy that preaches the word of God. Same as the Christian family. There are very few of those types from my experiences as a player, a coach and just casual observer.

I'm going to rep your post because you nailed it.

With the final bullet which I bolded, I think you make a declarative statement here that is inaccurate (unless you meant "preaches" in the same way I'm describing in the following). I can speak from personal experience here. I am not religious. However, I would evaluate the man my son would be mentored by for his college years based on whether he was honest, trustworthy and genuinely cared about the young men in his charge. I would be turned off by a fire & brimstone preachy type Christian because I wouldn't trust him. That type of charismatic Christianity reminds me too much of a proverbial used car salesman. But someone who is like MacIntyre and has his faith as a more personal thing that informs how he lives his life and treats others... I trust a guy like that to treat my son well and to also treat parents with respect. In this case, his faith helps me understand the man and his motivations. It works in his favor even though I don't share his religious beliefs.

I'm going to rep your post because you nailed it.

With the final bullet which I bolded, I think you make a declarative statement here that is inaccurate (unless you meant "preaches" in the same way I'm describing in the following). I can speak from personal experience here. I am not religious. However, I would evaluate the man my son would be mentored by for his college years based on whether he was honest, trustworthy and genuinely cared about the young men in his charge. I would be turned off by a fire & brimstone preachy type Christian because I wouldn't trust him. That type of charismatic Christianity reminds me too much of a proverbial used car salesman. But someone who is like MacIntyre and has his faith as a more personal thing that informs how he lives his life and treats others... I trust a guy like that to treat my son well and to also treat parents with respect. In this case, his faith helps me understand the man and his motivations. It works in his favor even though I don't share his religious beliefs.

Preaches is a strong word, but I should say someone that is openly Christian. A lot of Christians are afraid to admit because of the kickback they get. I used to get angry at those that handed out bibles, but realize they were just doing what they feel is the best way to "spread the word." So yes: If he was a Pat Robertson type, that would turn you but MacIntyre is honest, caring and practices a good life which is appealing to recruits. CU's main issue isn't a Christian coach with Christian beliefs, it's getting Ws and I think they are finally on the cusp of that with the right guy to shape these young men into adults. Even if MacIntyre hits it off with a 5-star blue chip and his family because they fall right in line (let's say Kemp goes to same church as Mac for instance), a big time guy wants to play where they can be on TV, win and enjoy college life. That hasn't been the case with CU being on 60% of TVs most weekends, playing at the worse times and losing regularly.

Nik nailed it pretty well.

Lots of kids and families who have a strong faith based lifestyle are going to seek out a coach who supports their belief system and where they feel that their value system will be supported.

Kids from non-faith based backgrounds are often acustomed to dealing with environments where open expression of religion is openly present. For many of these kids/families the concern is not based on the presence of religious expression but rather will they be accepted if they choose to not actively participate in that expression.

My impression is that Mac does a very good job of managing that balance respecting both sides of the issue.

Preaches is a strong word, but I should say someone that is openly Christian. A lot of Christians are afraid to admit because of the kickback they get. I used to get angry at those that handed out bibles, but realize they were just doing what they feel is the best way to "spread the word." So yes: If he was a Pat Robertson type, that would turn you but MacIntyre is honest, caring and practices a good life which is appealing to recruits. CU's main issue isn't a Christian coach with Christian beliefs, it's getting Ws and I think they are finally on the cusp of that with the right guy to shape these young men into adults. Even if MacIntyre hits it off with a 5-star blue chip and his family because they fall right in line (let's say Kemp goes to same church as Mac for instance), a big time guy wants to play where they can be on TV, win and enjoy college life. That hasn't been the case with CU being on 60% of TVs most weekends, playing at the worse times and losing regularly.

Certainly. This is the crux of it.

We can look at CU right now and say:

Location - check
Campus - check
Academics - check
Facilities - check
Tradition - check
Conference - check

Also, we seem to check the boxes of players getting good coaching, good mentoring and having their interests well served from an injury prevention and treatment standpoint. Good academic support for athletes, too. Administration is showing itself to be supportive.

I can easily make the case that CU checks all the boxes except one.

But when the box you don't check is winning, you're ****ed. Nobody wants to spend 4 years of college losing the majority of his games. That sucks and you're going to avoid it if you can. Winning is fun.

(As an aside, this reminds me of the discussion of the general health of an Athletic Department -- if every program is doing well but football is failing, the football box is such a big one to check that its failure means that the AD is failing. Same with the "winning box" in terms of recruiting.)

On a positive, I think that CU is poised as a sleeping giant right now. Get some positive momentum in the win/loss ledger and everything is in place to be great again.

Is HCMM more preachy and christian than the OG Mac?

I don't believe he has started an entire religious group and after walking past him in church. I think he likes to more blend in rather than stand out. McCartney stood out.

Back