What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DiStefano Lets A Donor Know Where He Stands

just emailed my regent. I told him about the exchange you had Brad and how upset I was that a leader of the university would do that. I specifically asked for his stance on athletics. I hope he gets back to me and I would urge everyone to email their regent and do the same. If you guys want to do something to help the AD, then let your regent know how DiStephano is representing the school and demand that we get a plan in regard to athletics.

If you need talking points, Nik or Skiddy can probably draft a articulate letter that you can cut and paste to send. Remember these are elected officials and they answer to US

here is a link that dio provided to find your regent:

https://www.cu.edu/regents/DistrictMap/

THANKS. kYLE hYBIL IS MY rEGENT. iF nIK COULD HELP WITH THE TALKING POINTS, i WILL DRAFT THE LETTER.

I wonder how hostile this conversation was when it started. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I the chancellor was confronted by an angry, whining and probably entitled fan, it is no surprise that he said "if you've got the money, we can get it done."

Perhaps you all think CU should follow CSU's folly of approving a new stadium before raising one dollar for its construction.

I know Brad. He would not have approached with hostility. In fact, almost the same exact situation occurred between Brad and Mike Bohn last year before a basketball game. Brad and I talked to each other just after, and Brad was excited after that conversation and said that Bohn was gracious in giving him a couple minutes of his time. I was thinking about that when Brad texted me in a fury 5 minutes after kickoff. Brad hasn't changed. The circumstance of the conversation didn't change. The variable that changed in the equation was DiStefano instead of Bohn. And DiStefano came across as a complete douchebag.

And DiStefano came across as a complete douchebag.

Wouldn't you too if you looked like this:

20110223_011957_Phil_DiStefano1_200.jpg

DiStefanos attitude is inexcusable.

That said. If donors don't understand the climate of the admin by now they're blind. The admin is why it is right now, people need to get that through their heads and find ways to work around it. Brad may be the greatest guy in the world, but donors in general, and especially the donors acting like this, are CUs problem.

You want nice things, step up and force the issue with the admin. I they wan $50mm, commit to a donation and work with your fellow donors to make it happen. Step up!

As much as Brad may feel slighted he and his fellow donors are just as culpable for the mess were in as the admin.

Ive got no money, so I guess I don't count or much, but until the donors step the dock up and make something happen, their complaints aren't worth crap. Regardless of the admin's attitude, $$$ talks and right now CU doesn't have anyone willing to make that happen with athletics.

Fans, donors, students, all we hear is complaining. I don't see anyone doing anything about it.

Donors acting like this is akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Last edited:

That said. If donors don't understand the climate of the admin by now they're blind. The admin is why it is right now, people need to get that through their heads and find ways to work around it. Brad may be the greatest guy in the world, but donors in general, and especially the donors acting like this, are CUs problem.

You want nice things, step up and force the issue with the admin. I they wan $50mm, commit to a donation and work with your fellow donors to make it happen. Step up!

As much as Brad may feel slighted he and his fellow donors are just as culpable for the mess were in as the admin.

Ive got no money, so I guess I don't count or much, but until the donors step the dock up and make something happen, their complaints aren't worth crap. Regardless of the admin's attitude, $$$ talks and right now CU doesn't have anyone willing to make that happen with athletics.
That is just so ****ing wrong.

Don't know if anyone was there but, during the opening ceremony of the basketball practice facility, DiStepheno told the crowd how excited he was that we were joining the Big 12. Seriously.

I booed loudly.

That is just so ****ing wrong.

Yep.

Within a standard range... People are people. Sports fans are sports fans.

If CU has one of the worst donor cultures in the nation, the responsibility for that is with CU and its administrators. If my business doesn't sell enough products while my competitors are successful, it's not because the customers suck.

Fans, donors, students, all we hear is complaining. I don't see anyone doing anything about it.

here is my big question. If they get $50 million are we guaranteed to get a practice facility? Is that the goal of the fun raising? What smaller goals does the athletic department have? What is their vision?

I think those are the reason that people are not donating, they don't know what they are donating for.

Exactly why my wallet has been shut for years.

I hate to even write this, but if CU can't get serious about football, why bother fielding a team? In life you don't partially compete at anything. You do your best. Does anyone honestly believe CU is doing it's best to field an even competitive football team?

I guess the message DiStephano wants to send to all alumni and current students is: "Strive to be well below average in everything you do. The bare minimum is all you need."

here is my big question. If they get $50 million are we guaranteed to get a practice facility? Is that the goal of the fun raising? What smaller goals does the athletic department have? What is their vision?

I think those are the reason that people are not donating, they don't know what they are donating for.

Bingo.

Exactly why my wallet has been shut for years.

I hate to even write this, but if CU can't get serious about football, why bother fielding a team? In life you don't partially compete at anything. You do your best. Does anyone honestly believe CU is doing it's best to field an even competitive football team?

I guess the message DiStephano wants to send to all alumni and current students is: "Strive to be well below average in everything you do. The bare minimum is all you need."

You do it because Larry Scott has given you >20 million reasons to do it per year.

Seriously, it isn't as if the Pac12 is going to revoke our membership if we don't get more competitive in football. The checks are going to keep coming regardless of how good we are. Vanderbilt hasn't been competitive, other than a couple of forays to barely above the .500 mark, in over 30 years in football, but you don't see the SEC threatening to kick them out. CU has money guaranteed to them at this point that should cover most operational expenses for their existing athletic department, and keeps the AD from begging to borrow money from the university proper. If they shutter the football program, that money goes away. If they let it do what its doing now, that money keeps coming. There is little to no incentive right now for the administration to improve the product on the field.

Donate first, hear plan for money later...just like any successful enterprise, right? :rolling_eyes:

Donate first, hear plan for money later...just like any successful enterprise, right? :rolling_eyes:

Here's what I just posted as a Comment to the front page blog:

I have much upsetness about this.

Blame the donors for your trouble? That is so wrong on so many levels. Maybe Phil should audit a 100-level marketing class at Leed's next semester.

Phil was basically told by someone who chooses to give a portion of his earnings to Phil's mess of an organization that there was excitement about improvements being on the horizon... with an implied commitment to give more in order to support the project.

Phil's reaction was belittling and unappreciative.

In case anyone at CU is reading this and cares, allow me to lay out a very simple approach that any kid running a lemonade stand would be able to tell them:

1 - Show appreciation to the customers / donors you have

2 - Create enthusiasm among customers / donors by communicating the features & benefits of what you're selling.

Regarding #2, in this case that means telling us the vision so we know what the hell we'd be buying if we sent you a check. You're basically asking us to send money into a black hole because you assume we are both stupid and more passionate about your product than you are... and then have the unimaginable arrogance to tell us we suck as donors because we are hesitant about playing the role of stooge for you.

Newsflash for CU:

WE DON'T OWE YOU A ****ING THING! YOU HAVE TO EARN OUR SUPPORT!

Here's what I just posted as a Comment to the front page blog:

I have much upsetness about this.

Blame the donors for your trouble? That is so wrong on so many levels. Maybe Phil should audit a 100-level marketing class at Leed's next semester.

Phil was basically told by someone who chooses to give a portion of his earnings to Phil's mess of an organization that there was excitement about improvements being on the horizon... with an implied commitment to give more in order to support the project.

Phil's reaction was belittling and unappreciative.

In case anyone at CU is reading this and cares, allow me to lay out a very simple approach that any kid running a lemonade stand would be able to tell them:

1 - Show appreciation to the customers / donors you have

2 - Create enthusiasm among customers / donors by communicating the features & benefits of what you're selling.

Regarding #2, in this case that means telling us the vision so we know what the hell we'd be buying if we sent you a check. You're basically asking us to send money into a black hole because you assume we are both stupid and more passionate about your product than you are... and then have the unimaginable arrogance to tell us we suck as donors because we are hesitant about playing the role of stooge for you.

Newsflash for CU:

WE DON'T OWE YOU A ****ING THING! YOU HAVE TO EARN OUR SUPPORT!

you're not helping my case for you as Regent. BUT GREAT POST! :LOL:

Some people keep insisting that there is a business model that allows donors to lead the athletic department.

Do donors have access to CU databases that contain the personal information of alumni and ticket buyers?

Do donors have a seat at the board of regents or within the chain of command at the university of Colorado?

Do donors get to approve the hiring and firing of CU employees including grad assistants, coaches, trainers, and ticket sellers?

Do donors answer to the state legislature, the NCAA, the board of regents, or the Conference?

Do donors get to lay out the vision, set the curriculum, and manage the operations of any department within the University, be it physics or the athletic department?

What role, exactly, do donors have at the University of Colorado? And who exactly gets to decide that role?

It is disgusting, infuriating and insulting to read an opinion that donors are the problem.

Donors do not have authority nor the responsibility to run the organization. Donors are not equipped nor expected to lead the charge and organize around making anything happen.

Donors are the lifeblood of the CUAD, but we are not the brains.

For a healthy organization, the donors and the CUAD have to act in a partnership. The donors and athletic department need to develop a shared vision. Then the CU leadership leads and the donors support the operations.

CU administrators expect to lead from behind the donors? Give me a break.

Some people keep insisting that there is a business model that allows donors to lead the athletic department.

Do donors have access to CU databases that contain the personal information of alumni and ticket buyers?

Do donors have an seat at the board of regents or within the chain of command at the university of Colorado?

Do donors get to approve the hiring and firing of CU employees including grad assistants, coaches, trainers, and ticket sellers?

Do donors answer to the state legislature, the NCAA, the board of regents?

Do donors get to lay out the vision, set the curriculum, and manage the operations of any department within the University, be it physics or the athletic department?

What role, exactly, do donors have at the University of Colorado? And who exactly gets to decide that role?

It is disgusting, infuriating and insulting to here that donors are the problem. Donors do not have authority nor the responsibility to run the organization. Donors are not equipped nor expected to lead the charge and organize around making anything happen. Donors are the lifeblood of the CUAD, but we are not the brains.

For a health organization, the donors and the CUAD have to act in a partnership. The donors and athletic department need to develop a shared vision. Then the CU leadership leads and the donors support the operations.

CU administrators expect to lead from behind the donors? Give me a break.

DONORS MUST UNIONIZE!!! who's gonna be our hoffa?

At least according to you I may be a nice guy! The bottom line is I have been donating a pretty significant amount on an annual basis. I increased my donation this year based on what the bball team did last year. I am doing as much as I can so the claim of my attitude is baseless. It is incumbent on Phil and the rest of the CU Admin to create a culture where others, including the big fish, want to be a part of what CU is selling. Right now, their sales pitch is horrible. There may be a plan, but until they lay out the vision, explain the plan, start providing a reason to get involve and sell it, we are left with nothing to go on. Call it what you want, but the donors and fans are not the problem right now. The lack of leadership we see top to bottom is the real issue.

tsarbomba is likely deeper in the red than the federal budget.

Last edited:
I really have grown fond of the "run the athletic department like a business" shtick/meme on this board, particularly the jargon and buzzwords.

I really have grown fond of the "run the athletic department like a business" shtick/meme on this board, particularly the jargon and buzzwords.

We haven't even gotten started. Far too little bastardizing of word by putting "-ize" on the end of nouns to create action words. I'll make sure that we have an ideation session tonight before hoops in order to exemplarize the situation. :wink2:

Although the "Union" remark was made in jest....I do wonder if a large enough group of donors/boosters did get organized somehow to essentially create a list of demands in exchange for a sum of money...while this would take incredible coordination and probably even more difficult type settling on demands, it may be the only option if the group cared enough to not let this program go completely down the ****ter for good

Another Allbuffs project....which is nonetheless overtly disgusting and sad that we would have to think in terms like this as it infers the University Athletic Leaders not doing a single bit of what they are paid to do :cry:

I think getting a new sidewalk to tailgate on is about the extent of the pull we might, kinda sorta have with this athletic department.

True dat. If the athletic department were run like a business, the players would be getting paid a salary. The labor agreement should be renegotiated.

The chancellor responsible for the athletic department is too business like in his concern over the impact of a $50 million contribution to help underwrite a $250M capital campaign that is needed to fund a real estate investment to improve the quality of the product and labor inputs that is being demanded and consumed by ticket buying fans that seek value for their money.

Back