What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Do we recruit

BeachBronco

during the season? I was looking at Rivals and noticed even Duke ahead of the game in recruiting. I feel like we are 30 year old virgins or something.....

Yeah, we are recruiting. Despite the effort unless things really turn around we are going to end up with a bunch of leftovers for the remainder of the class. Too much losing and too many negatives associated with the program right now.

dude we lost to toledo and got the piss beat out of us in the process, we dont really have much to sell right now.

I was also looking at the recruiting numbers this morning. I didn't do a tabulation or anything, but it looks like the top roughly 33 teams average about 17 verbals. We come in the 60s somewhere with our 7 verbals.

This recruiting strategy, for better or worse, is the way Hawkins goes with it:

Offer top guys early and stay on them until the very end. If the team finishes strong (like in 2007), we end up with a better class than our record would suggest we should have pulled. Don't pressure early commitments, as stated. Hawkins wants a guy to be 100% when he makes a commitment.

In the meantime, we look at the highly talented 2nd tier guys that either were senior year late bloomers, fell off the recruiting radar due to injury, or just got overlooked (didn't camp, smaller HS program, whatever). In these cases, we often end up recruiting against non-BCS schools since the BCS programs have taken the early commitments while we still have the open slots. These guys make up the bulk of a Hawkins class and, frankly, while it may take a couple years to develop these players they are generally under-rated by Rivals and Scout (hence the argument that Hawkins' classes are quite a bit better than the class rankings would show).

Finally, if the season ends badly (2005, 2006, 2008) the Hawkins strategy means we end up taking too many 3rd tier guys while not getting more than a couple of our 1st tier targets. These 3rd tier guys are the collection of players we bring in that are either a step slow and undersized but a team captain and a good student -or- and academic risk that has the talent to be something if he can somehow qualify late and get through CU admissions.

* There are also outliers. I'm still trying to figure out why we accepted the early verbal commitments of Zack Craig and Chidera Uzo-Diribe this year. Neither are/were 100% and both are 2nd tier prospects.

Last edited:
Perhaps we should try the Texas approach and offer 10 year olds scholarships now, seems to work for them....lol

Yeah we'll beat the Wyomings, New Mexico's, CSU and Utah States of the world for some "overlooked" players.. :rolleyes: Rivals will increase the star rankings of some of these "overlooked" commits just to make sure CU doesn't look that "bad".. That's our recruiting tradition since EB and Embree left.

Back