What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Do you care whether CSU gets an on-campus stadium built?

Do you care?

• Yes.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • No.

Votes: 64 74.4%

• Total voters
Could care less what they do....honestly I'm surprised we have as many threads as we do on the subject and the main reason why I don't visit the Football Forum very often during the off season

The university's share is $111 million[SUP][33][/SUP] or 52 percent.[SUP][38][/SUP] TCF Financial Corporation of Wayzata, Minnesota is contributing $35 million over 25 years in exchange for the TCF Bank naming rights and other agreements. The university projected earnings of $2.5 million per year or $96 million over the life of agreements with TCF that will include marketing debit cards to alumni and ticketholders.[SUP][39][/SUP][SUP][40][/SUP] If unable to fulfill its contractual obligations, TCF Financial Corporation must propose an alternate name subject to the approval of the university.[SUP][41][/SUP] Other corporate donations have been pledged as well, including Best Buy ($3 million),[SUP][42][/SUP] Dairy Queen ($2.5 million),[SUP][43][/SUP] Target Corporation ($2 million),[SUP][44][/SUP] Federated Insurance, General Mills, and Norwest Equity Partners.[SUP][45][/SUP]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCF_Bank_Stadium

On August 11, 2011, UNT announced a deal with Austin-based ResNet provider Apogee for the naming rights to the new stadium, now called Apogee Stadium.[SUP][20][/SUP] According to the contract, the company will pay $11.8 million of the $20 million deal in cash over 20 years, including graduated annual payments beginning at $312,000 and ending in three annual payments of $1 million. The remaining $8.29 million will be in the form of in-kind services. As part of the contract, Apogee also received one luxury suite in the new stadium and premium tickets to other UNT events.[SUP][21][/SUP]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apogee_Stadium

I just posted that Minnesota got $35mil in naming rights. North Texas got $20mil.

If you don't believe that, then thats what Google is for. It's really not that hard to comprehend

Minnesota got $35MM and that money was counted by the university as part of the $150MM that needed to be raised to fund the universities portion of the expense. The raised $86MM in private donations and the rest is funded by an increase in student fees and parking revenue projections. The state of Minnesota is responsible for funding 48% of the total expense.

North Texas got $20MM. But in reality it was $11.8MM over 20 years in cash and the rest was for "in-kind" services. Again the naming rights money was counted by the university as money raised to fund construction.

You seem to think that selling naming rights is some blank check that is delivered to the AD on a yearly basis and the athletic department can spend the money however they want. The reality is that money is already accounted for.

If you can get 100% private funding and then sell naming rights on top of that then yes you will have a new revenue stream for the AD. So the question is did ICON say that naming rights was being counted after the stadium was already funded, or are they counting on selling naming rights to off-set funding requirements to build?

If you can get 100% private funding and then sell naming rights on top of that then yes you will have a new revenue stream for the AD. So the question is did ICON say that naming rights was being counted after the stadium was already funded, or are they counting on selling naming rights to off-set funding requirements to build?

Really looking forward to the answer to this question.

Well when I have to repeat what I say multiple times, its pretty sad.

I mean we have Darth Snow here trying to argue that schools aren't making more money in their new stadiums when thats an obvious fact

No matter how often you repeat it, you are still wrong and your argument is stupid.

Give us some real facts. Give us the names of principle donors and the amount of money they have solidly committed to, tell us specifically which company has contractually committed to naming rights and how much and when they will be obligated to pay.

You are like a little child stomping your feet and insisting that you are right when it is obvious to everyone in the room that you s*** your pants.

This is not the flock of sheeplovers dreaming of being part of the big city while being stuck in a little backwater town living in a singlewide.

Keep repeating, it's pretty funny actually but don't imagine that just by repeating yourself over and over anything will change. When you can bring us some substance then we will take you a little more seriously but so far it just smells.

No matter how often you repeat it, you are still wrong and your argument is stupid.

Give us some real facts. Give us the names of principle donors and the amount of money they have solidly committed to, tell us specifically which company has contractually committed to naming rights and how much and when they will be obligated to pay.

You are like a little child stomping your feet and insisting that you are right when it is obvious to everyone in the room that you s*** your pants.

This is not the flock of sheeplovers dreaming of being part of the big city while being stuck in a little backwater town living in a singlewide.

Keep repeating, it's pretty funny actually but don't imagine that just by repeating yourself over and over anything will change. When you can bring us some substance then we will take you a little more seriously but so far it just smells.

He can't tell you how much they've raised because they haven't received any money yet. He can't tell you how much they expect to get from donations because they haven't lined up all the donors yet. He can't tell you who the principle donors are because it hasn't been announced officially yet. He can't tell you when it will be officially announced because of politics. Jeez, does the guy have to repeat himself?

I hope CSU builds a new stadium on campus. It will be a success in the long run for the football program and school overall. It's going to cost them up front buy every program that has an on campus stadium benefits from it.

I hope CSU builds a new stadium on campus. It will be a success in the long run for the football program and school overall. It's going to cost them up front buy every program that has an on campus stadium benefits from it.

trolls feeding trolls

Here's what I'm afraid is going to happen in some form or other with the CSU project: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/05/09/concerns-mount-over-financing-of-cal-stadium-project/

With three big differences.

1. Cal gets $30 million a year from the PAC12, CSU gets less than $3 million from the MWC.

2. Cal has a much bigger wealthier market to draw from and a much wealthier and historically much more generous alumin base.

3. Cal didn't have ICON telling everybody it was a slamdunk.

Seriously even if CSU builds a stadium for half the cost of Cal's renovations I don't see any way that it makes any kind of financial sense. They just don't have the revenue streams, developed or potential to make it happen.

I voted yes.

The 1988 game in Ft Fun was a nice roadie. I enjoyed walking the campus, being guests of CSU and leaving town with the win. Even if their on campus stadium does not get built, I'd still support playing the game at Hughes after the 2020 contract in Denver expires. But I'd prefer the series with CSU rotates with AFA. It would be great to have more excuses to get to the Springs once every four years.

College football at Sports Authority f.k.a investco f.k.a Mile High is a boondoggle. It's an unnatural marriage. It's not fan friendly. The organizers have lost touch with the paying customers.

Since CU and CSU are historically tied, it's reasonable to assume these schools will continue to play going forward.

It would be fun to tailgate at CSU's new digs, should they ever get built. Why not support their folly?

This CSU pursuit of a stadium provides a wonderful business case study to witness from afar. The financing and politics are not at all personal. It's not my money. It's not my team. It's not the Pac12. This is 100% entertainment. Will Jack Graham and Tony Frank be able to lead CSU out of the wilderness in a display of tremendous management savvy? Or will the fickle and historically cheap CSU fan base and Colorado taxpayer run these snake oil salesmen out of Ft. Fun for fracturing the fan base and incurring a major drain on cash-flow while failing to deliver CSU any membership to a relevant and profitable conference? Inquiring minds want to know.

We laugh at OMFGasm for his relentless and seemingly blind optimism. But let's face it. The guy is in a mortal struggle for the future viability of his beloved CSU. The D1 biological clock for CSU is nearing menopause and the existential heat flashes are getting more frequent. CSU is like the 38 year old spinster who all of a sudden must get knocked up in order to pass her genes along to the next generation of Rams. The desperation drips like the Big Thompson circa 1976.

Captain Jack is the plastic surgeon. Coach Sparkles provides the estrogen therapy, and Mike Orakpo is the in vitro-fertilization that didn't take. OMFGasm is the indomitable optimist who looks in the mirror and still sees the cute Lindsey Lohan of Mean Girls instead of the train wreck post rehab car accident version that is staring as Elizabeth Taylor on a Lifetime Network miniseries.

Even that plucky OMFG knows CSU is ****ed while he is in the privacy of his sheep wagon vanity, but he refuses to allow big brother to point that out during the light of day. If CSU must die a slow and painful death, it will do so with dignity, damnit.

So, yes, I like to see CSU's gumption. It's heroic and honorable and possibly tragic. This is great drama.

Attaboy, OMFGasm. You deserve a noogie and a wedgie. I'll even tolerate you calling us Puffs and Fluffaloes while you struggle to quickly escape from your death spiral. It's so cute watching you try so hard to be taken seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all for it. Not only would they bulldoze sunny lubick field, it would put pressure on CU.

Private donations, naming rights, and sponsorships

And yes I will believe it until it is proven otherwise.

The cynicism from the fluff fans is comical

What do you think drives naming rights,sponsorships and advertising? ATTENDANCE!!!!!

I own my own business. Why would I be more interested in advertising at the new stadium than I was at Hughes?

jesus ****ing christ. no one goes to your games. that is why we are skeptical.

Have you seen the concept drawings?

pretty simple. If you truly believe that then your business is probably not too successful....

:lol:

I advertise based on the number of eyeballs from my target market that will see my message and positively associate my brand with the experience they are having. Just having a shiny new building does not get me there, OMFG.

Don't buy the naming rights then. Someone else will though

Their business is probably not too successful, then.

People buy advertising based on how many people will see their name, not based on how nice the building their ad is hanging in is. You keep saying "but have you seen the drawings?" as if people were going to pay for naming rights and advertising based on how pretty the building is. They won't. Unless you put butts in the seats, and unless those butts are attached to people advertisers want to reach (read: people with money - generally not students), you aren't going to have people lining up just to hang signs in a pretty but half empty building.

BTW, they also buy naming rights based on how many people are going to hear their name mentioned in TV broadcasts and TV highlights, or have their names seen in stadium signage. Right now, CSU has very few prospects for television exposure, unlike a Big 10 team like Minnesota. And a mid-campus stadium isn't going to provide anywhere near the visibility for signage that a stadium located right along I-35 in the middle of the Dallas metroplex, like UNT's stadium, is. Not to mention the fact that both schools are located in the middle of cities that are at least 15 times as large as Fort Collins. If CSU can match UNT's naming rights deal, which as 4DB researched for you above, is paying them less than $400,000 per year at the start of the deal, that's probably a good outcome. The only way a 20 year payout on naming rights pays for construction is if you are financing the stadium and can use it to make payments. It isn't going to cover the cost up front...

This is the reality of business, OMFG. Nobody expects you to understand it at this point in your life, but you might want to listen to people that do. If ICON is trying to sell a different picture, maybe you ought to question why, instead of just calling people retarded who know what they're talking about, just because it doesn't fit your fantasy world.

Since CU and CSU are historically tied, it's reasonable to assume these schools will continue to play going forward.

[bunch of REDACTED stuff before & after that I agree with and got a chuckle from]

Point of order. This series was not even played between 1959 and 1982.

Most of the games prior to that were because we were in the same conference. Having a game played every season while not in the same conference was only done from 1947-58 immediately following CU leaving the Mountain States Conference for the Big 7. After Okie Lite joined up in 1957 to make a Big 8, there was no reason to play the game beyond the existing contract.

Since the series was revived, CU has won 18/24 games (75%). In the old days up to the 1958 end of the series, CU went 43-14-2 (74%).

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Nebraska was our rival. That's gone. Time to cut ties with CSU too.

Gasm -

If it is all about naming rights, then why not just sell the rights to Hughes? Why would someone buy the naming rights to a new stadium as opposed to Hughes stadium? The attendance differences aren't projected to be much different.

Gasm -

If it is all about naming rights, then why not just sell the rights to Hughes? Why would someone buy the naming rights to a new stadium as opposed to Hughes stadium? The attendance differences aren't projected to be much different.

have you seen the drawings??

Point of order. This series was not even played between 1959 and 1982.

Most of the games prior to that were because we were in the same conference. Having a game played every season while not in the same conference was only done from 1947-58 immediately following CU leaving the Mountain States Conference for the Big 7. After Okie Lite joined up in 1957 to make a Big 8, there was no reason to play the game beyond the existing contract.

Since the series was revived, CU has won 18/24 games (75%). In the old days up to the 1958 end of the series, CU went 43-14-2 (74%).

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Nebraska was our rival. That's gone. Time to cut ties with CSU too.

Eighty-three match ups. Wow!

I am a proponent of at least one away game within 200 miles of Boulder.

Do you realize that Tini and many in his generation have never seen Buff football live outside of Folsom and Mile High?

The away game ritual is important. If your only away game experience is the Rocky Mountain Beatdown at the neutral location in Denver, then you might wrongly assume that the behavior at all roadies is like the CSU-CU game.
This would be a bad assumption.

I think that being a good host in Boulder comes more naturally when you have been a guest on someone else's campus. Almost every college football fan base in the country has an away game each year within an easy two hour drive of their home campus.

CU is unique in that its closest conference opponent is 450 mi (UU) or 500 mile (kNU) away. CU fans need to buckle down for 10 or more hours of driving each way, spend a bunch of Benjamins on airfare, or live out of state near to an opponent to experience a road game environment. The majority just stay home and experience road games on TV.

This is too bad because you meet some pretty cool CU fans on the road, away from the regular routines at Folsom. You also see some great tailgates and run across some real characters from other teams while on the road.

If CU were to schedule a rotation of CSU, AFA, and Wyoming as one of our OOC games each year, then the majority of our fans could be within easy driving distance of someone else's stadium for a change. We'd likely be favored in those games most years, and people like Tini could expand their football horizons beyond the awesomeness of Boulder and the contrasting hostility of the CSU RMS, which spawns obnoxious Denver PD and Argus Events Staff responses.

Personally speaking, I had much better interactions with CSU when the game was played on their campus because I stayed in their homes and drank in their bars after the game. At the Denver location, I typically tolerate CSU fans without the breaking of bread or getting to know them over a beer. Then we part ways after the game with typically less than good natured ribbing.

The CSU-CU games are nothing like a proper road trip to someone else's campus. It's not even close.

Eighty-three match ups. Wow!

I am a proponent of at least one away game within 200 miles of Boulder.

Do you realize that Tini and many in his generation have never seen Buff football live outside of Folsom and Mile High?

The away game ritual is important. If your only away game experience is the Rocky Mountain Beatdown at the neutral location in Denver, then you might wrongly assume that the behavior at all roadies is like the CSU-CU game.
This would be a bad assumption.

I think that being a good host in Boulder comes more naturally when you have been a guest on someone else's campus. Almost every college football fan base in the country has an away game each year within an easy two hour drive of their home campus.

CU is unique in that its closest conference opponent is 450 mi (UU) or 500 mile (kNU) away. CU fans need to buckle down for 10 or more hours of driving each way, spend a bunch of Benjamins on airfare, or live out of state near to an opponent to experience a road game environment. The majority just stay home and experience road games on TV.

This is too bad because you meet some pretty cool CU fans on the road, away from the regular routines at Folsom. You also see some great tailgates and run across some real characters from other teams while on the road.

If CU were to schedule a rotation of CSU, AFA, and Wyoming as one of our OOC games each year, then the majority of our fans could be within easy driving distance of someone else's stadium for a change. We'd likely be favored in those games most years, and people like Tini could expand their football horizons beyond the awesomeness of Boulder and the contrasting hostility of the CSU RMS, which spawns obnoxious Denver PD and Argus Events Staff responses.

Personally speaking, I had much better interactions with CSU when the game was played on their campus because I stayed in their homes and drank in their bars after the game. At the Denver location, I typically tolerate CSU fans without the breaking of bread or getting to know them over a beer. Then we part ways after the game with typically less than good natured ribbing.

The CSU-CU games are nothing like a proper road trip to someone else's campus. It's not even close.
great post. as to bolded, :nod: The roady crew is ALWAYS awesome to meet. Dedicated buff fans etc. Like me :smile2:

I've only seen the Buffs play in 6 stadiums. Looking forward to adding at least one more every year until I die.

This is true, I went to CU @ FSU (and @Jax), @ Miami, @ Georgia. Met some awesome Buffs at each one, fed a Buff army in Tallahassee-including TBD-and all the trips I met some cool fans, even at UM(unlikely, but true). Well worth having some doable roadies.

I've only seen the Buffs play in 6 stadiums. Looking forward to adding at least one more every year until I die.

Wainaminnit. There is a difference between "play" and "suit up".
It's a stretch to say the Buffs were playing during the Cal and Ohio State games.

Wainaminnit. There is a difference between "play" and "suit up".
It's a stretch to say the Buffs were playing during the Cal and Ohio State games.

Man I hope we can be competitive soon again because winning on the road is a great experience. Not including Invesco, I'm 1-4 on road trips. Seeing different venues is exciting but winning makes it 100X better.

Man I hope we can be competitive soon again because winning on the road is a great experience. Not including Invesco, I'm 1-4 on road trips. Seeing different venues is exciting but winning makes it 100X better.

This.

Back