What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Does Connor Wood play the rest of the season?

Who knows.

Maybe you see Wood come in for a series or two if Sefo needs to get his head straight if he's overwhelmed. Maybe he'll see time this week against Charleston Southern if the game gets out of hand.

I don't see why you would go to Webb over Wood though. Wood's only advantage is the long ball. Webb doesn't even have that.

Who knows.

Maybe you see Wood come in for a series or two if Sefo needs to get his head straight if he's overwhelmed. Maybe he'll see time this week against Charleston Southern if the game gets out of hand.

I don't see why you would go to Webb over Wood though. Wood's only advantage is the long ball. Webb doesn't even have that.

Plus playing Webb doesn't do anything for you next year. Wood is likely to still be here and if he is he is likely to be our top back up. If we have Sefo playing and Wood backing up we should finally be in a position to RS a true fr. QB (Apsay) and put ourselves on the track of developing QBs instead of rushing and panicing as has been the case recently at CU. It would be a positive to work on getting Wood back some confidence as long as that doesn't get in Sefo's way. Playing Webb doesn't do that for us.

I'm off the Connor Wood bandwagon because I loved him and he spurned me.

(mod edit due to TOS violation and extreme stupidity)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wood appears to just freeze in pressure situations and I don't think HCMM would have gone this route if they weren't convinced Wood couldn't get the job done when it counted. So the answer is Sefo all the way. He is the future.

We are not talking about your personal life, but men, a subject you apparently know nothing about.

As previously mentioned, I would also guess that Wood will see more playing time. If not, I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer his senior year. Webb knows how to handle the pressure but I don't see him as any upgrade even as a back-up.

Plus playing Webb doesn't do anything for you next year. Wood is likely to still be here and if he is he is likely to be our top back up. If we have Sefo playing and Wood backing up we should finally be in a position to RS a true fr. QB (Apsay) and put ourselves on the track of developing QBs instead of rushing and panicing as has been the case recently at CU. It would be a positive to work on getting Wood back some confidence as long as that doesn't get in Sefo's way. Playing Webb doesn't do that for us.
^^this^^ :thumbsup:

I don't care if he gets snaps here and there, he definitely shouldn't start unless its something that can't be avoided.

Has anyone heard of a legitimate possibility of Wood playing WR or S? I think his time at QB is done, but he appears to be a good enough athlete to play other positions.

Has anyone heard of a legitimate possibility of Wood playing WR or S? I think his time at QB is done, but he appears to be a good enough athlete to play other positions.

Not happening. He is a QB. He's a good athlete for a QB but not for other positions.

Much more importantly it isn't like we have an abundance of experience at the back-up QB position. He gives us depth at a critical position

You thinking he could do a Kerry Meier thing? I doubt he's as good of an athlete as Meier was. Dude made it to the NFL as a WR.

Who knows.

True, but he is a hell of a wingman when the Air Force attacks.....(allegedly).

You thinking he could do a Kerry Meier thing? I doubt he's as good of an athlete as Meier was. Dude made it to the NFL as a WR.

I'm thinking that Webb can fill the backup role and I'm thinking our offense could use a 6'4 220 pound WR who runs a 4.6 OR the defense could use a QB in the Defensive Backfield.

Not sure Wood is the man for the job, but why not give him a shot?

If I could pick a spot to try him at, I'd choose safety first. Our safety play this year has been atrocious. Orms and Bell are almost totally useless. We desperately need a leader and a playmaker back there. I'll tell you that being great at safety is more mental than it is physical.

I'm thinking that Webb can fill the backup role and I'm thinking our offense could use a 6'4 220 pound WR who runs a 4.6 OR the defense could use a QB in the Defensive Backfield.

Not sure Wood is the man for the job, but why not give him a shot?

If I could pick a spot to try him at, I'd choose safety first. Our safety play this year has been atrocious. Orms and Bell are almost totally useless. We desperately need a leader and a playmaker back there. I'll tell you that being great at safety is more mental than it is physical.
Wasn't the mental part that got him at QB? Bell, IMO, isn't useless, neither is Orms. Orms is a step slow, but plays sound FB. That first TD by ASU wasn't because he was out of position IMO, he was just flat outrun. That is sort of a microcosm of the entire team.....

Wasn't the mental part that got him at QB? Bell, IMO, isn't useless, neither is Orms. Orms is a step slow, but plays sound FB. That first TD by ASU wasn't because he was out of position IMO, he was just flat outrun. That is sort of a microcosm of the entire team.....
Orms took a bad angle on that play, he should have made the tackle.

He doesn't have the poise to play the QB position in the BCS. Playing Safety requires a lot of mental aptitude, but isn't the same as running away from 280 pound DL. Like I said, what have we got to lose?

I strongly disagree with you about our safeties. They have been out of position, taken bad angles and badly missed tackles in EVERY PAC 12 game. Orms makes a good hit from time to time, but also cost us a big penalty and was ejected by hitting a guy in the head who had already dropped the ball.

You watch this video of the first ASU score and tell me more about the "sound" football being played by our safeties. I have NO clue what Bell is doing (or Walker for that matter) while Orms takes a ****ty angle and dives and the WR's feet. You can't blame this on coaching, this is just ****TY play by two inept safeties. I've watched plays like this for too ****ing long.
[video=youtube;X6bk3EAAN8E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6bk3EAAN8E[/video]

He doesn't have the poise to play the QB position in the BCS. Playing Safety requires a lot of mental aptitude, but isn't the same as running away from 280 pound DL. Like I said, what have we got to lose?

I strongly disagree with you about our safeties. They have been out of position, taken bad angles and badly missed tackles in EVERY PAC 12 game. Orms makes a good hit from time to time, but also cost us a big penalty and was ejected by hitting a guy in the head who had already dropped the ball.

You watch this video of the first ASU score and tell me more about the "sound" football being played by our safeties. I have NO clue what Bell is doing (or Walker for that matter) while Orms takes a ****ty angle and dives and the WR's feet. You can't blame this on coaching, this is just ****TY play by two inept safeties. I've watched plays like this for too ****ing long.
[video=youtube;X6bk3EAAN8E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6bk3EAAN8E[/video]
Don't confuse my post with a complete defense of the safety play. What I see is a S who is in the right spot, but lacks the ability to get to the WR. He is completely out raced. And I said Orms plays sound FB. He usually is in position. What Bell and Walker were looking at on that play, I haven't a ****ing clue.

Don't confuse my post with a complete defense of the safety play. What I see is a S who is in the right spot, but lacks the ability to get to the WR. He is completely out raced. And I said Orms plays sound FB. He usually is in position. What Bell and Walker were looking at on that play, I haven't a ****ing clue.

I do confuse your post for being totally ignorant. If he was in the right spot, he would have made the tackle! Instead he took the wrong angle (for the 50th time) and had no shot at tackling him. Bell doesn't look like he belongs on the field. And this is the BEST we've got? Please tell me it's not true!

I do confuse your post for being totally ignorant. If he was in the right spot, he would have made the tackle! Instead he took the wrong angle (for the 50th time) and had no shot at tackling him. Bell doesn't look like he belongs on the field. And this is the BEST we've got? Please tell me it's not true!
There is a difference between being a sound player and being athletic enough to be a competitor. For instance, Spruce is a very good route runner, but if he were covered man to man by Deion Sanders in his prime, it would not matter how nice Spruce's routes were, Deion would be in his hip pocket and Spruce wouldn't catch a ball. In Orms case in the play in question, the WR was running a crossing route, while I can't say I know exactly what the defensive responsibilities were for the DB's, I bet Orms thought he would have help over the top and the WR would not break upfield as soon as he did. So the first step laterally, instead of towards the deep middle of the field is probably explained by that. Bell and Walker ran up field and to the outside of the crossing WR for reason I cannot explain. Nevertheless, Orms was a step away from still making the play. I would submit the failure to make the play was as much his lack of footspeed relative to his competition (aided by Bell and Walker's inaction) as anything else. As far as calling me ignorant, GFY. Whether they are the best we have, I'll leave that to the coaches. I will say an upgrade across the board is needed before CU is competitive in P12. Awuzie, Gillam, Sefo and Adkins are a good start, but CU needs about 25 more of those caliber of guys before the ship begins to turn around.

I'm not sure I'd be laying all of the blame on Orms for that particular play. Both linebackers bit hard on the play-action (as did Orms), but both Bell and Walker randomly lunged away from the reciever and toward the trajectory of the ball. I guess they thought it was behind the receiver and they could pick it off if he didn't catch it (or worse yet, they misread the ball so badly they thought it was going to the outside receiver near the sideline)? Orms then takes a false step and thusly takes a bad angle to where he could've made the play. A better athlete probably can overcome the false step and catch up to a not overly fast Jalen Strong, but alas this is CU football and disaster occurred.

Back