What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Does MikeMac keep our traditions?

I hear MacIntyre wants to use the famous basketball C-O-L-O-R-A-D-O cheer during every single stoppage of play.

During punts he plans to turn around to the student section and lead them in "Olé, Olé, Olé, Olé" chants.

We have one tradition that really counts, running the team out behind Ralphie. As long as that continues, I am happy tradition-wise.

I seem to remember a game or two in 2011 where the team did not run out behind Ralphie, maybe as punishment.

I seem to remember a game or two in 2011 where the team did not run out behind Ralphie, maybe as punishment.
This happens occasionally, but not as punishment. It's because Ralphie absolutely refuses to run sometimes. Most memorably it happened against kNU in 2001. It's just a byproduct of having a not-completely tame animal as our mascot.

This happens occasionally, but not as punishment. It's because Ralphie absolutely refuses to run sometimes. Most memorably it happened against kNU in 2001. It's just a byproduct of having a not-completely tame animal as our mascot.

Also they have to get her in the trailer before a certain time until kickoff. If the team is late coming out of the locker room they can't really keep waiting.

Seriously, other than running behind Ralphie what other traditions does the average Buff fan really care about? I can't think of any that I would miss other than Ralphie.

Well I was a Ralphie Handler during college and I can tell you there was never a time she didn't run.... with the exception on against NU and it was actually in 1999. She started running then just stopped on the 15 yard line. Hawk was just a prick and didn't care about the tradition of Ralphie so he never was too interested in getting team out on time to run. We had to run at a very specific time and coaches was aware of it. But it was VERY specific.... like we would be running at exactly 5:20 left on clock.

As far as traditions I personally think a lot of it is important. A lot of guys killed themselves for years as Buffs and are proud of their accomplishments. Things like the bricks mean a lot to guys 10-20 years later. They can come back and physically see a tribute to their hard work. It shows people we have a proud past and show where we wanna be in the future. So some traditions like singing fight song after win..... they are ok and I would like to see it continue. But bricks and Ralphie kind of define our past and have been happening for 20 or more years and need to continue IMO. But sounds like I am kinda alone on this one based on others posts lol

Mjk2MDc3Mg

Last edited:

The occasions I was thinking about were when Ralphie ran as normal, but the team did not come out behind her. The team came out a few minutes later. It think that it happened a couple of times in Embry's first season, either as a punishment (i.e. "you don't deserve to run out behind Ralphie), or because Embry and his staff couldn't get it together to have the team ready to go on time, or some other reason.

I'm torn on this one. On the one hand, I wonder how many of our revered traditions were actually traditions before Mac? I'm not sure I know of many other than Ralphie, of course. On the other, the Mac days were the best stretch of CU football ever, and pointing back to that time is natural.

I just hope that Mac2 considers that there are things to do that help build a bridge to the past, but there is no point in living in it. Hawk went too far in trying to distance himself from the past, which in some ways was understandable - a clean break from the Barnett era was probably considered the best move at that particular point in time. But Water Bottle went too far in the other direction, imo - there was too much living in the past the last two years. Hopefully Mac2 finds a happy medium.

How about we sh*tcan the the tradition of students showing up 1/2 way thought the second quarter.

Did anyone ever show up to that? I remember hearing only a handful of people attending. IIRC.

It did pretty well in 2008. Kind of hard to get a new tradition going with the 2009-present results.

If we're winning, he can have the team do the Macarena for all I care.

Then when the next coach comes in, we can ask "the Macarena stays right? Right??".

Im sure there are traditions within the team that we may never know about. Those that link players to the Buff family of players and the program itself, should be respected. Those that memorialize big wins should be kept. Those that engage the fans and anything involving Ralphie should be kept.

Those that distract from teaching tackling, involve QB sneaks on 1st and ten or otherwise link to this low-water point of the program should be lost to us all.

The Student section is borrowing tradition from Dodger fans at Chavez Ravine. Create a new tradition of the students filling their sections BEFORE Ralphie runs.

Well I was a Ralphie Handler during college and I can tell you there was never a time she didn't run.... with the exception on against NU and it was actually in 1999. She started running then just stopped on the 15 yard line. Hawk was just a prick and didn't care about the tradition of Ralphie so he never was too interested in getting team out on time to run. We had to run at a very specific time and coaches was aware of it. But it was VERY specific.... like we would be running at exactly 5:20 left on clock.

As far as traditions I personally think a lot of it is important. A lot of guys killed themselves for years as Buffs and are proud of their accomplishments. Things like the bricks mean a lot to guys 10-20 years later. They can come back and physically see a tribute to their hard work. It shows people we have a proud past and show where we wanna be in the future. So some traditions like singing fight song after win..... they are ok and I would like to see it continue. But bricks and Ralphie kind of define our past and have been happening for 20 or more years and need to continue IMO. But sounds like I am kinda alone on this one based on others posts lol
Go back and read posts 6 & 7.

Back