What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Does Tad think Talton can play defense?

A lot of people on here do not subscribe to Rivals, so I thought it was worth pointing it out, after I had quoted him. I disagree with much of what Tyler Z has to say as well, and by no means was I suggesting he was an expert.

Last edited:
Just my opinion but Carson is one of the quickest guards in the country. Think CU did a pretty good job on him.
Carson is capable of dropping 20+ on anyone and has blown up teams earlier this year. Carson was held to his season average of 18 points and held to only 1 assist. So yeah, he did fine; and he kept Jahii from single-handedly beating us, which he wanted and needed to based on the rest of the ASU team production.

I have to admit Jahii was a lot smaller than I expected, just didnt seem to stand out to me as a superstar. Granted he did make some really difficult shots to get his 18 pts, he just didnt strike me as a superstar like many of the other players that have come to Boulder with a lot of hype.

Talton really struggled the first 1/2+ of the season, he was lost on defense, he seemed to have regressed from last season, which is one of the reasons he didn't play a lot. When you have one of the highest TO rates on the team and struggle to stay with your man you're going to have some wrath directed at you, this was evident from Tad as well, his playing time during December and January was limited. Of late he's been playing better defense, hence the praise he's been getting. There are a lot of match-ups/games he simply can't contribute effectively because of his size and athletic ability, there are others he can. Jhop was also lost on defense the first few games of the season as well, but b/c of his size and athleticism he's able to draw more difficult defensive assignments making him a much more versatile defender overall.

These guys all have up and down games and stretches during the season, they are going to be allbuff whipping boys 1 day and the GOAT the next (ask Ski). I don't think anybody here hates any of these guys, they may get frustrated by them at times, but I for 1 would like to see them all succeed.

Last edited:
Talton really struggled the first 1/2+ of the season, he was lost on defense, he seemed to have regressed from last season, which is one of the reasons he didn't play a lot. When you have one of the highest TO rates on the team and struggle to stay with your man you're going to have some wrath directed at you, this was evident from Tad as well, his playing time during December and January was limited. Of late he's been playing better defense, hence the praise he's been getting. There are a lot of match-ups/games he simply can't contribute effectively because of his size and athletic ability, there are others he can. Jhop was also lost on defense the first few games of the season as well, but b/c of his size and athleticism he's able to draw more difficult defensive assignments making him a much more versatile defender overall.

These guys all have up and down games and stretches during the season, they are going to be allbuff whipping boys 1 day and the GOAT the next (ask Ski). I don't think anybody here hates any of these guys, they may get frustrated by them at times, but I for 1 would like to see them all succeed.
Hell, even Tomlinson had his day in the sun.

Talton's length certainly limits him somewhat on defense. I don't think his athleticism is an issue. He's quick and can jump very well and I honestly don't see any knock on his athleticism.

His earlier poor play was due to confidence being shaken. We've now seen that in this season alone from everyone on the team except perhaps Scott. Confidence is picking up though everywhere, but Talton and Booker especially.

Talton's length certainly limits him somewhat on defense. I don't think his athleticism is an issue. He's quick and can jump very well and I honestly don't see any knock on his athleticism.

His earlier poor play was due to confidence being shaken. We've now seen that in this season alone from everyone on the team except perhaps Scott. Confidence is picking up though everywhere, but Talton and Booker especially.

Talton's lateral movement isn't great, he's a little heavy on his feet and he doesn't take the best angles on defense when his defender is driving to the hoop. He gets a lot of his perimeter fouls called because of this combination of things, I think this was really an issue early in the season when they were calling perimeter contact closer than they are now. But saying all of that he is quick, it's just certain areas where he can be exposed.

His length is good and definitely a plus against smaller guards like Carson. Carson did not find passing lanes last night or open jump shots. The only issue I saw was that Carson out-quicked XT. Carson's going to do that against almost everyone in the nation, though. Pac-12 has a few guards that will pose those types of problems for XT (Carson, Cobbs, Artis) and also some like Jordan Adams who are too big & strong or athletic freaks like Nick Johnson. But those guys are all exceptional in their ways and XT more than holds his own now on the defensive end.

Nearly everyone knows who Ziskin is, and he gets way too caught up in his own emotions and says silly things A LOT. You originally had a very good point that Talton had a strong game last night and it supports your argument that he's better than the board thinks he is and many of us should have not busted your chops as badly. But to quote one of the respected hoops guys around here "I think i may have to shoot myself, I am agreeing with TZ on twitter." To say what you are quoted as saying above really undermines your point, we'll ignore the tone of it.

While Tyler has been a significant contribution to CU basketball and is a loud voice for us but he's by no means an expert, this is after-all a guy who would tell near anyone who'd listen that he could take Austin Dufault in One-on-One during his senior season while averaging double digits in the pac12 and contributing to a tourney run. Other Ziskin gems include: Calling Wes Gordon horrible and questioning giving him a scholly, calling XJ our worst perimeter defender (presumably before he gave Wilcox fits) and Telling anyone who'd listen that Jhop does nothing to contribute to our team winning (after the CSU game where his 10 point flurry turned the game).
I only know him through Twitter but I love when he makes a statement like "I hope we lose this game, I really do" or "If the [Cavs or Browns] re-sign [bad player in his eyes], I'm no longer going to be a fan.

Back