What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Does the Oregon State game determine the outlook of the season?

Well, Mike Reilly teams are a little like GB's teams. They have a history of starting slow. IMO, Riley is probably one of the two or three best CFB HC's in the nation. He consistently does more with less than just about anybody. That said, CU looks like they could compete in this game. Both teams have an anemic run game, relatively untested QB play and soft defenses. Of the two, I like CU's D better, so CU could sneak away with a W. If they do, I am not sure that makes them a gimme for a bowl game though. ASU, UCLA, Oregon and UW are virtually no hopers. AZ is going to be tough, and so is USC, even if they are playing like you would expect a Lane Kiffin team to play. Unless CU gets a 12th game, bowl hopes remain slim to none. With a 12th game maybe they improve by a hair's breadth.

What is BlackNGold's definition of a "difference maker?" At this pace Spruce will exceed McKnight's highest receiving total (893 yards) by 73 yards, and only as a soph. I'm not sure what you expect. Full disclaimer: we're a pass happy offense and only two games into the season.

My definition is someone the other team has to alter scheme for in order to account for him.

P-Rich is the only player on our offense who fits that description.

Corvalis is NOT an easy place to play regardless of OSU being up or down. it will be an orange out, probably raining and our first road game. The odds are definitley stacked against us. All that being said, they cannot run the ball, and we should be able to get some pressure on Mannion. I am hoping for a solid competitive game but a ton of things are going to have to go right for us to be in this at the end with a chance to win. I love our staff and I know we will be prepared unlike the last coaching staff who inspire zero confidence in their gameplan or their players. I cannot wait for this one. Noon kick off local time still gives me time to get to Husky stadium to preview Arizona. I love this time of the year!!!!!

Probably raining? Wait, what? It might rain. But my memory of growing up in the area is that it seldoms rains between May and September. Bone dry. And then it drizzles constantly between October and April.

Probably raining? Wait, what? It might rain. But my memory of growing up in the area is that it seldoms rains between May and September. Bone dry. And then it drizzles constantly between October and April.

And? Its September 28th. The rain is certainly back in Seattle after exactly what you described. No rain for about 3 months.

My definition is someone the other team has to alter scheme for in order to account for him.

P-Rich is the only player on our offense who fits that description.

That is good enough for me. I loved Scotty McKnight but he was not a difference maker. Not saying he was not good receiver because he was, but other teams did not game plan around him. I understand what people are saying but CU has not proven to most people (I understand there are some with jugs of Koolaid who see it different) they can get significant offensive production with the other players. I am not ragging on the team I am just saying they have to answer the question of rather this offense is a one trick pony or not.

That is good enough for me. I loved Scotty McKnight but he was not a difference maker. Not saying he was not good receiver because he was, but other teams did not game plan around him. I understand what people are saying but CU has not proven to most people (I understand there are some with jugs of Koolaid who see it different) they can get significant offensive production with the other players. I am not ragging on the team I am just saying they have to answer the question of rather this offense is a one trick pony or not.

Getting Powell going would be huge. If we can keep DLs from pinning their ears back and even make safeties cheat up, there's no stopping this offense.

I think so.

If we win, we can have legitimate bowl game conversations. Not that it would be a lock, but at least a possibility.

If we lose, we probably hold true to preseason predictions and win 3-4 games.

Agree or disagree?
On paper, this is one of the games I think we have a better chance of winning. Losing this doesn't mean the season's over or bowl hopes dashed, but losing it will make it much tougher for the kids to achieve their goal of a bowl game. I think we win this by 4 due to better conditioning (we are turning out to be a kickass 4th quarter team).

Getting Powell going would be huge. If we can keep DLs from pinning their ears back and even make safeties cheat up, there's no stopping this offense.
:nod:

We all knows what happens when the guy covering Prich doesn't get safety help...

Corvalis is NOT an easy place to play regardless of OSU being up or down. it will be an orange out, probably raining and our first road game. The odds are definitley stacked against us. All that being said, they cannot run the ball, and we should be able to get some pressure on Mannion. I am hoping for a solid competitive game but a ton of things are going to have to go right for us to be in this at the end with a chance to win. I love our staff and I know we will be prepared unlike the last coaching staff who inspire zero confidence in their gameplan or their players. I cannot wait for this one. Noon kick off local time still gives me time to get to Husky stadium to preview Arizona. I love this time of the year!!!!!
Capture.jpg

I don't what it means for the rest of the year, we might still have an opponent to be named. As far as this game goes, hope we stay in it early. Bound to be some rust there with this kind of layoff. The guys should be healthy from the nicks and bruises though.

Weather should be perfect or near perfect. As scotth92 posted above, some showers but 30% is basically nothing this time of year. Probably low 70s at game time.

It's going to be interesting watching Richardson and Brandin Cooks on the same field. It sounds like the Beavers may get Storm Woods back but I still don't expect them to have much of a running game. Their OL sounds as thin as ours. Their center was hurt in the SDSU game and they are down to two reserve OL according to the paper.

Oregon State should be favored and will be. They were a bowl team last year while we were the worst BCS team in the country. It's on the road where OSU plays well and we have been terrible in road games.

At the same time OSU has not been the team they were last year, looking more like what they normally are. We have looked much improved from the last few years (hard not to.) This should be a winnable game.

In my mind the place were we can win/lose the game is on special teams. Our kick coverage has been horrendous giving up huge plays or giving up big field position attempting to not give up those huge returns. If we can start playing anything close to average on our coverage teams I think that Woods on offense can make the big plays to give us a solid shot at winning. Fail to get the coverage together and the combination of points/field position, and momentum kills us.

Oregon State was favored by 10 on the opening line.

Based on last years results and the fact that our two wins so far are against an FCS team and a team that would lose to that FCS team I can see why the national perception would put the line there.

If I were a gambler I would take the CU side of that line but until we beat some teams that get respect we aren't going to get it either.

Based on last years results and the fact that our two wins so far are against an FCS team and a team that would lose to that FCS team I can see why the national perception would put the line there.

If I were a gambler I would take the CU side of that line but until we beat some teams that get respect we aren't going to get it either.
Let's not pretend that OSU has beat all good teams either....

San Diego State
-0-3 record
-#94 in the Week 5 Sagarin Rankings
-Blown out by Eastern Illinois 40-19 in Week 1 (EIU: #89 in the Week 5 Sagarin Rankings)
-107th (18.7ppg) in 'points for'
-116th (38.7ppg) in 'points against'

Hawaii
-0-3 record
-#132 in the Week 5 Sagarin Rankings
-Totally inept on offense
-122nd (12.0ppg) in 'points for'
-91st (31.3ppg) in 'points against'

-Eastern Washington, who beat OSU in the opener, is #84 in the Sagarin Rankings by the way (Colorado is #88). So while they had a nice win against Utah, they also had to have a 20 point comeback in the 4th last week against SDSU to avoid being beaten by a bad SDSU team. OSU has played two teams that were ranked worse than us, and two teams that are ranked higher (with one being marginally ranked higher).

This is a very winnable game. It won't be easy, but with OSU's big problems on D, we should have a very successful day throwing the ball since OSU will have to account for PRich and Spruce will be able to exploit the middle where OSU has no speed. OSU is also starting a RS-Fr at LT and a Fr at RT which bodes well for us. I'm very interested to see what else we implement in this game as rumor is that the coaches went pretty vanilla for the first two games and were going to add new wrinkles for the Fresno game.

Next person to call Spruce "McKnight Jr." or any derivative thereof gets banned.

Next person to call Spruce "McKnight Jr." or any derivative thereof gets banned.
463.jpg

I know it's a joke. It's even worse than the tree puns.

Go back to the drawing board.

Duff is so mad that Spruce might be called McNightLight that he will make that person act like a tree and leave.

At the same time OSU has not been the team they were last year, looking more like what they normally are. We have looked much improved from the last few years (hard not to.) This should be a winnable game.

You know they have the third highest win percentage in the PAC 10 over the past 10 years right. Honestly we would do back flips to be like Oregon State normally is.

You know they have the third highest win percentage in the PAC 10 over the past 10 years right. Honestly we would do back flips to be like Oregon State normally is.

But how often are they ranked in the top 25 and getting national attention. Riley is and has been a solid coach. They have made the most of their talent and beaten some teams they weren't expected to.

Looking at where we have been the last decade of course I would be happy to have Oregon States record. At the same time they haven't been an elite type team, a team expected to be in the rankings. Last years team was a much better than this years team has looked so far. Even with our significant improvement I would give us virtually no shot against last years Oregon State team. This years team while justifiably favored I can see ways that we could win the game.

Back