What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Does the Oregon State game determine the outlook of the season?

Let's not pretend that OSU has beat all good teams either....

San Diego State
-0-3 record
-#94 in the Week 5 Sagarin Rankings
-Blown out by Eastern Illinois 40-19 in Week 1 (EIU: #89 in the Week 5 Sagarin Rankings)
-107th (18.7ppg) in 'points for'
-116th (38.7ppg) in 'points against'

Hawaii
-0-3 record
-#132 in the Week 5 Sagarin Rankings
-Totally inept on offense
-122nd (12.0ppg) in 'points for'
-91st (31.3ppg) in 'points against'

-Eastern Washington, who beat OSU in the opener, is #84 in the Sagarin Rankings by the way (Colorado is #88). So while they had a nice win against Utah, they also had to have a 20 point comeback in the 4th last week against SDSU to avoid being beaten by a bad SDSU team. OSU has played two teams that were ranked worse than us, and two teams that are ranked higher (with one being marginally ranked higher).

This is a very winnable game. It won't be easy, but with OSU's big problems on D, we should have a very successful day throwing the ball since OSU will have to account for PRich and Spruce will be able to exploit the middle where OSU has no speed. OSU is also starting a RS-Fr at LT and a Fr at RT which bodes well for us. I'm very interested to see what else we implement in this game as rumor is that the coaches went pretty vanilla for the first two games and were going to add new wrinkles for the Fresno game.
such as more running by Wood...
if there's any game to pull out the stops, I vote it's this one

one thing that will be nice is not having to spy the QB like we did v CAU. Devote more time to covering the pass

Good test for CU pass defense... Their QB is an accurate passer (really nice touch on his deep ball). It is going to take tight coverage and some pressure.

such as more running by Wood...
if there's any game to pull out the stops, I vote it's this one

one thing that will be nice is not having to spy the QB like we did v CAU. Devote more time to covering the pass

Yup, CUD should have a big game. I guess OSU's LT was out with mono and may be back for the game, either way I like the matchup.

Yup, CUD should have a big game. I guess OSU's LT was out with mono and may be back for the game, either way I like the matchup.

If he was out with Mono he either won't be back or if he is he won't be worth much. Mono is not a one or two week thing.

When I had it I was down for close to a month and lost about 30lbs.

Unfortunately I think the OSU QB is one of he best we will face. He picked apart Utah's secondary, and right now I think they are better than ours. Pass rush is going to be the decider, and I don't think we have enough horses yet.

The question I see is if we can win a track meet. Utah couldn't. I like our recievers over theirs this year.

Maybe a zone blitz package could be effective?

Right now we have 2 wins I counted on and hoped for before the season. Anything else is gravy.

Let's not pretend that OSU has beat all good teams either....

San Diego State
-0-3 record
-#94 in the Week 5 Sagarin Rankings
-Blown out by Eastern Illinois 40-19 in Week 1 (EIU: #89 in the Week 5 Sagarin Rankings)
-107th (18.7ppg) in 'points for'
-116th (38.7ppg) in 'points against'

Hawaii
-0-3 record
-#132 in the Week 5 Sagarin Rankings
-Totally inept on offense
-122nd (12.0ppg) in 'points for'
-91st (31.3ppg) in 'points against'

-Eastern Washington, who beat OSU in the opener, is #84 in the Sagarin Rankings by the way (Colorado is #88). So while they had a nice win against Utah, they also had to have a 20 point comeback in the 4th last week against SDSU to avoid being beaten by a bad SDSU team. OSU has played two teams that were ranked worse than us, and two teams that are ranked higher (with one being marginally ranked higher).

This is a very winnable game. It won't be easy, but with OSU's big problems on D, we should have a very successful day throwing the ball since OSU will have to account for PRich and Spruce will be able to exploit the middle where OSU has no speed. OSU is also starting a RS-Fr at LT and a Fr at RT which bodes well for us. I'm very interested to see what else we implement in this game as rumor is that the coaches went pretty vanilla for the first two games and were going to add new wrinkles for the Fresno game.

No kidding. I was listening to talk radio here in OR the other day, and the guys were talking about how "CU, USC, Cal and Utah" were the bottom of the conference, and acting like ASU on the road should be a win for OSU...

OSU is basically 3 plays from being 0-4 with a VERY weak OOC and one of their two easiest Pac 12 games (us being the other).

OSU has some serious issues on both lines, especially with a recent rash of injuries. Storm Woods is also out. CU's not great against the run, but OSU is turrible (they had 10 yds. net rushing last week). OSU will also likely start a true freshman at a tackle position. if CU can exploit that, this game is winnable.

If he was out with Mono he either won't be back or if he is he won't be worth much. Mono is not a one or two week thing.

Didn't Dre come back after a week with mono? Different sport and all that but I guess it *can* be done.

No kidding. I was listening to talk radio here in OR the other day, and the guys were talking about how "CU, USC, Cal and Utah" were the bottom of the conference, and acting like ASU on the road should be a win for OSU...

OSU is basically 3 plays from being 0-4 with a VERY weak OOC and one of their two easiest Pac 12 games (us being the other).

OSU has some serious issues on both lines, especially with a recent rash of injuries. Storm Woods is also out. CU's not great against the run, but OSU is turrible (they had 10 yds. net rushing last week). OSU will also likely start a true freshman at a tackle position. if CU can exploit that, this game is winnable.
Yeah, not to take away anything from OSU, but their 3-1 is very deceiving. The Utah win is a good one but with that defense they're going to struggle in being consistent this year.

yeah and dre missed like two games last year when he had it.

Didn't Dre come back after a week with mono? Different sport and all that but I guess it *can* be done.

Yeah, not to take away anything from OSU, but their 3-1 is very deceiving. The Utah win is a good one but with that defense they're going to struggle in being consistent this year.

I don't know how the deal with it now but I had mono in HS. Doc's wouldn't let me do any contact sports for a month since it puts you at risk of a ruptured spleen. I don't think I could have played for a month anyways because I was flat on my back for a week and a half and very weak for another couple weeks. I got tired just going to the bathroom.

I think in Dre's case they suspected Mono but it may have been something else. That or he had a different form of it than I did. It really sucks.

I don't know how the deal with it now but I had mono in HS. Doc's wouldn't let me do any contact sports for a month since it puts you at risk of a ruptured spleen. I don't think I could have played for a month anyways because I was flat on my back for a week and a half and very weak for another couple weeks. I got tired just going to the bathroom.

I think in Dre's case they suspected Mono but it may have been something else. That or he had a different form of it than I did. It really sucks.

or maybe you are a pussy and dre is not.

So Storm Woods is doubtful for Saturday

Woods sat out Monday's practice and I'm not getting the impression he'll play this week. Still recovering from a concussion.

Their long snapper is lost for the season. That could be big on ST.

this is a significant step up in competition from the first 2, so maybe we'll get a better read of where we realistically are after this game. thereafter, i figure oregon is going to kill us so i am not sure that game will tell us anything other than we aren't ready yet.

this is a significant step up in competition from the first 2, so maybe we'll get a better read of where we realistically are after this game. thereafter, i figure oregon is going to kill us so i am not sure that game will tell us anything other than we aren't ready yet.

Totally agree. Oregon is an outlier. Maybe 3 to 5 teams in the country could keep within 14 points with them for 4 quarters.

Pretty close to what I was thinking. I'd go with Alabama, Stanford, LSU, Florida State and maybe Ohio State.
I don't think Bama could keep up with Oregon right now. Their D is vulnerable, and their O can sputter against any defense with a pulse.

I don't think Bama could keep up with Oregon right now. Their D is vulnerable, and their O can sputter against any defense with a pulse.

Yeah, I think you may be on to something there. I'll be interested to see how they stack up against LSU.

It would be interesting to see what they would try to do on offense if they got behind by any kind of margin. They don't look like a team that would be very effective if they had to try to catch up.

Florida State may not be as good as some of the other teams mentioned but may have the best chance against Oregon. The game I saw them on TV they looked ridiculously fast.

It would be interesting to see what they would try to do on offense if they got behind by any kind of margin. They don't look like a team that would be very effective if they had to try to catch up.

Florida State may not be as good as some of the other teams mentioned but may have the best chance against Oregon. The game I saw them on TV they looked ridiculously fast.

Florida St is pretty good. Their MO for the past couple years is to dominate opponents most of the time and completely step on their dick for 1 or 2 games a year.

Florida St is pretty good. Their MO for the past couple years is to dominate opponents most of the time and completely step on their dick for 1 or 2 games a year.

Pretty good summary of them.

Manage to screw up enough to stay out of title contention but have some guys with enough talent the scare the **** out of you. They get the ball with a little space and are just gone.

You guys have dementia or something? Alabama went into College Station, against the 6th ranked team in the country and the reigning Heisman Trophy winner (who is a douche, but his skills are stunning) who are also averaging over 50 points a game, was down by two scores and came back and almost blew their doors off before that late rally led by the best player in the country.

So yeah, they can catch up and if there is one coach and team that has the speed, talent and coaching to make Oregon look mortal it is them. They would keep up just fine.

A&M is good but without Manzel they are not in the class of the other schools mentioned by people in this thread.

Bama' is still very good, a legit contender for the NC until somebody proves on the field that they aren't. At the same time they lost a lot off the last couple of teams. Their offense while talented and very good is not like it has been.

You guys have dementia or something? Alabama went into College Station, against the 6th ranked team in the country and the reigning Heisman Trophy winner (who is a douche, but his skills are stunning) who are also averaging over 50 points a game, was down by two scores and came back and almost blew their doors off before that late rally led by the best player in the country.

So yeah, they can catch up and if there is one coach and team that has the speed, talent and coaching to make Oregon look mortal it is them. They would keep up just fine.

The potentially scary thing about Oregon this year is that they might actually have a defense.

A&M is good but without Manzel they are not in the class of the other schools mentioned by people in this thread.

Bama' is still very good, a legit contender for the NC until somebody proves on the field that they aren't. At the same time they lost a lot off the last couple of teams. Their offense while talented and very good is not like it has been.
Huh....how many times have they been without Manziel outside of one quarter (or half?) against Rice outside of blowouts where the 1's were taken out? Exactly.

Mike Evans is a damn good WR by the way, he's #2 in the nation with 575 yards receiving...

As for Alabama...

First, the positives. The passing game was, by and large, efficient if not spectacular. AJ finished 20/26 for 258 yards, a healthy 9.9 yards per attempt. Christion Jones took on the role of possession receiver, hauling in nine passes for 90 yards, and DeAndrew White stretched the field with two catches for 65 yards including AJ's lone TD pass. OJ Howard showed flashes as a vertical threat for the second consecutive week. Curiously, the intermediate-to-deep pass seemed to be available whenever we wanted it, but very few downfield shots were taken. TJ Yeldon came off the bench to rip off a beautiful 38 yard run to provide one of very few offensive highlights on the night. Cody Mandell punted well, averaging 45.0 yards per punt, though he did have two touchbacks. Landon Collins continues to be a human highlight reel on special teams and saw increased playing time on defense as well. The defense did what it was supposed to do against an overmatched opponent, allowing only 2.0 yards per carry and 6.0 yards per pass attempt while allowing CSU to cross midfield only twice. Considering that the starting CBs were Bradley Sylve and Eddie Jackson, those are numbers we can live with. Kenyan Drake blocked a punt affording Dillon Lee a scoop-and-score opportunity.

Excuses for a mediocre performance abound as several key contributors watched this one from the sidelines. As mentioned, Bradley Sylve and Eddie Jackson started at CB in place of John Fulton and Deion Belue. Belue was out with a toe injury along with starting "Star" CB Jarrick Williams and reserve safety Nick Perry. The fact that John Fulton didn't start the game despite that level of attrition speaks volumes about his place on the depth chart at this point. True freshman CB Maurice Smith saw his first significant action of the season as well. Anthony Steen missed the game with headaches following concussion-like symptoms initially felt toward the end of the Texas A&M game. Amari Cooper and Kevin Norwood were held out with injuries, Saban intimating that Cooper was strictly precautionary. Jalston Fowler started the game in place of suspended TJ Yeldon.

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2013/9/22/4757766/initial-impressions-from-the-colorado-state-game

The deep ball comment stands out to me. Anytime Bama wanted to take a shot, they got it,they just didn't take that many shots. Obviously there are issues like the OL and the 3rd down conversions (or lack thereof) but can we stop pretending like the CSU game was a better indicator than the aTm game where they went on the road and beat a top 10 team in an environment that was supposedly spectacular.

I think it's reasonable to point out that Alabama hasn't faced a really good defense so far this year. Of course, neither has Oregon. We will all know a lot more after Oregon plays Stanford and Washington, and Alabama plays LSU.

I think it's reasonable to point out that Alabama hasn't faced a really good defense so far this year. Of course, neither has Oregon. We will all know a lot more after Oregon plays Stanford and Washington, and Alabama plays LSU.
Not sure how much this is worth but VT is #5 in total defense at this point, but they've played a relatively weak schedule.

Back