1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the Ringo article out today about Bohn give rumors more legs?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Del, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Del

Del Member

http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-college-sports/ci_16315058

I'm kind of glad that Ringo wrote the article just because based on their past track record, I think Benson and DiStefano are too dumb to know that there are some other schools that could be very interested in having a guy like Bohn. I'm not sure I would believe that he would leave CU to go to KU and have to deal with Bebe and Deloss again, but I am worried that another school outside the Big XII might be interested in snapping him up.

I hope that we can hold onto this guy because he has laid the groundwork for the athletic program to be really successful once we get a football coach that is worth a damn.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. CaliBuff901

CaliBuff901 Active Member

Agreed, I think we need to sign him and then Dan Hawkins will know his fate even sooner. I think the article does hopefully put some urgency on signing him before year end

3. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

Yes Bohn has had a few slip-ups in his time here, but what he has done for CU in the grand scheme of things far outweighs any of the negitive perceptions some may have of him. It's probably a real good idea to keep him around.

4. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

I hope Bohn DOESN'T leave. Losing the athletic director in 2010 would all but guarantee Hawkins' return in 2011.

5. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

I'm not sure Bohn is interested in KU.
    Boulder is his home town. His aging mother lives in Boulder.
    Bohn got CU to the Pac-12 and I think he may want to see what it's like being an AD of the mighty Pac-12 and not be an AD at the Mac 10.

6. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

CU fans are putting too much of Hawkins' failure at Bohn's feet...look what he has done for CU outside of football. Last time I checked, football was just one out of 16 sports teams and the other sports teams have done just fine against our future conference mates.

If Bohn goes, we might have to deal with Hawkins for at least another season.

7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Bohn ain't going to Kansas, that's for damn sure. That's nothing more than a rumor started by some KU folks who have conveniently forgotten that Bohn is a Boulder native.

He could end up at a more prestigious school, though. Someplace like Michigan, Wisconsin, Georgia (he does kind of have a weird drawl, if you've ever heard him speak). The one thing that is holding him back from going to one of those schools is his abysmal hiring record. If he manages to hire a decent replacement for Hawkins, I could see him leaving in another 3-4 years. Probably not before that, unless some dorky school like SMU throws insane money at him.

8. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

If Benson and DiStephano cut Bohn off at the knees at the end of last season, then I have zero problem with Bohn doing what's best for Bohn.

I'm not saying I want him gone, but I understand.

9. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

I worry about him leaving for other major programs and really for KU as well. The article says that the departing KU athletic director made 3 times as much as Bohn. I am glad the article was written so the powers that be are paying attention.

When all is said and done I am apathetic. It is becoming more and more clear to me that CU does not care about athletics in a manner that is necessary to compete. If I read tomorrow that Bohn is gone it wouldn't get me that worked up. I would rather he stay but I really don't care much anymore. Hopefully a new AD would take the job with the stipulation that DII be fired right away and replaced with Cabral for the remainder of the season. This program must make a statement that enough is enough!

I am a die-hard CU fan, but apathy is beginning to set in for even me. I would imagine the casual CU fan stop caring years ago. They probably only attend the games for the tailgating experience at this point.

10. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

I don't think he should be allowed to select our next football head coach.

11. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

What makes you so sure he selected our current head football coach? By most accounts, it was Chuck Neinas who presented Hawkins to Bohn.

12. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

And Neinas is from Boulder as well so he does have a better understanding of what would work in Boulder compared to other consultants who do not make Boulder their home. I'm sure he is wondering why Hawkins hasn't succeeded in Boulder like he thought Hawkins would do.

13. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Bohn has done far more good for this university than bad. I can't even imagine where we would be right now without him. Folsom would be lucky to be half full every game. Our support would be horrible.

14. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Bohn has been good so far, but the heavy lifting is over now, the AD can pretty much be on autopilot from here on out. Donations will increase once we have a new football coach, revenue will be consistent in the Pac 12, we will bring back a few sports if/when we can afford it. If we have to deal with a new AD, at least it won't be a daunting task for him.

15. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

:rolling_eyes:

16. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Great points.

17. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Can't fault whoever hired Hawkins. It seemed like a great fit at the time. But these things don't always work out.

18. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody faults the HIRING of Hawkins. What most find fault with is the fact that Hawkins was EXTENDED by Bohn in the fall of 2008. The original contract would have expired this fall. With the extension, CU is on the hook through 2012.

19. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

And who hired Neinas? Mike Bohn (who use to work for Neinas). Just because you hire a recruiter does not absolve you of responsibility to find the right candidate. The recruiters job is to work all the back channels. The ADs job is to see if the guy is the right fit. While the man in the street may have thought DH was a good hire because of his record at Boise, it is the job of the hiring entity to do a little more in depth analysis. There were plenty of red flags that should of been discussed - Coaching experience at the BCS level (none), Recruiting experience at the BCS level (none), coordinator experience (none), and coaching tree (limited).