1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dollars to Donuts

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by lvbuff, Oct 29, 2009.

1. lvbuff

lvbuff Well-Known Member

I'll put my dollars against everyones donuts that Hawkins is coaching the Buffs next season. The Buffs can lose all remaining games and he will still be in Boulder at CU as the Coach.

I am not happy about it but just "wait and see."

2. Buff fanatic

Buff fanatic Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure whether he will be or not, but, my sister owns a bakery and I've got access to a **** ton a of donuts, so, I'm in. I could use a hell of a lot more dollars.

It's win/win for me. :lol:

3. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

Hope you're wrong about Dan coming back next year. If that's the case, I'm guessing both he and Bohn will be gone afterwards. Of the season ticket holders that I know in RL, a good percentage have threatened not to renew if Dan is kept.

4. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

That works. I predict many more quarters of this team putting up donuts on the board if we keep with the status quo.

5. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

6. CUav8er

CUav8er Club Member Club Member

I don't necessarily mind if he comes back, but changes need to be made. Riddle needed his @ss fired after the UT game.

7. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I think he will be back just because of the economy. I was watching the news yesterday and they were talking about Ritter cutting another 286 million from the budget. I don't think the tax payers with no ties to the school would appreciate if we had to pay out Hawk and pay for a new coach. (Even though tax payers wouldn't pay the bill the news wouldn't portray it that way.)

Benson knows this and will make sure nothing happens. :sad1:

8. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that Bohn is stuck with keeping Hawk at least through the 2010 season. Not that I think he wants to, but with the budget cuts at the state level primarily impacting higher ed, even if they have the money to buy out Hawk (which I believe they do), it would be a politically unwise move to do that at this juncture. How would it look to be paying $3MM to fire a coach when the school is scrapping for every penny of funding it can find? Bohn answers to DiStephano & Benson, and if they're the ones telling him that he has to keep Hawkins, then he won't be fired for keeping him.

9. fatbuff

fatbuff Well-Known Member

That is a good point. The majority of taxpayers dont know the situation like we do, and a multimillion $ buyout of a football coach is a political hot potato.

10. Buff fanatic

Buff fanatic Well-Known Member

:stupid: COMPLETELY agree. I've done a 180 on this in the last couple weeks and no believe this is what will happen, with staff changes forced on Hawkins. I just dont see Bohn pulling the trigger after this year---and I thinik he wants to.

11. dply

Great minds Sacky. :lol:

12. sackman

What this does is makes it 100% clear that 2010 is Hawks last season unless he shows significant improvement. No losing to CSU. They better beat Georgia, for that matter. No crappy performances on the road. None of that stuff. It's got to be a 9-3 kind of season with a trip to the CCG and a legit chance of winning it or Hawk is gone. The expectations this year were not that high, but they weren't met. Next year, they go up. If we're "really close" as Hawkins says we are, then next year is put up or shut up time. I'm not happy about it, but I'm slowly coming around to the reality of the situation.

13. sackman

I also think Bohn is calling Bzdelik and saying "dude, I need you to take some heat off". :lol:

If CU's basketball team can perform a miracle and get to the tournament (highly unlikely, but hey, a guy can dream), then Bohn can sleep a little easier.

14. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

I agree, nothing would be better at this point than the hoops team putting together a great run in their first preseason tourney, then following up with a great big 12 season. I would sure help me forget about the horrible football. We really need the hoops team to turn things around, and start paying their own way.

All available extra cash needs to be spent on our football mess.

15. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

I can't see how this team won't be markedly better next season. They have the entire offense returning except for Geer, and are losing maybe 4 defensive guys, all at positions we seem to have depth.

The ironic thing is that by playing so poorly this year, assuming Hawkins survives he may have lowered expectations to the point where a less successful season in '10 may be considered acceptable than what would otherwise be (6 or 7 wins).

16. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Dunno... our Safety depth behind Polk and Burney scares me. Perkins and Mahnke have NOT played like we thought they would. Mahnke has all the tools but isn't really putting them together. Are you suggesting that one of our RSing guys is gonna step in?

17. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

I would suggest playing Polk at strong safety and playing Perkins at free. Perkins already plays quite a bit, he seems to be doing ok now.

18. GoBuffs08

If (and I think he will be) Juicebox is back next year, I will not be happy with anything less than 9 wins.

The thought of listening to him tell everyone how close we are, it's the little things, blah blah blah. He damn well better show some serious results on the field.

19. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

All righty then! It looks like we all agree that we need to get behind Hawk and the program and stop calling him juvinile little names, rigth? :thumbsup: GO BUFFS!

20. dply

Dick wad. :lol:

21. GoBuffs08

Juicebox could win the rest of his games this year and I would still think he is an ass. It really sucks that it is still October and we are already talking about 2010 being the year that this really "pop".

22. DBT

Its one word, dickwad!

23. DBT

See now, there ya go, making it all personal and ****. You need to stop internalizing! :lol:

24. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

This is about probably the worst and most disappointing thread I have read on here in a long time.

If this happens, anyone who goes to the games next year is just as big of a part of the problem as our loser coach and his boss. Support the basketball team, girls soccer, and volleyball, hell find your favorite girl and go to see the theatre program in action if you want to support CU, but the worst thing you can do right now is legitimize the results the football program has given us by contributing cash to it.

25. DBT

Well, that makes no sense, Tim. Don't you support the baskeball team, girls, err, ladies soccer, and volleyball by SUPPORTING the football team?

26. sackman

If I can sit through a loss to Drake, I can sit through losses to anybody. I'm not giving up on the team. I'm convinced the head coach is an incomptetent moron, but I glean too much personal pleasure from the act of going to the games to ever quit.

27. Darth Snow

:nod: (except for the loss to drake, but I did sit through the loss to Montana State)

28. DBT

Thats because you weren't born when we lost to Drake!

29. Darth Snow

you are so clever :lol:

Bornabuff likes this.
  30. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

What have you seen that makes you believe Benson is at all connected with the interworkings of the AD and the FB program?

My guess is that Benson's admin forwards any e-mails on this subject straight to DiStephano. FW: Phil - Please handle! DiStephano calls the shots on the Boulder campus.

I seriously doubt a $3M contact buy-out hits Benson's radar. He is busy securing government research grants, building coalitions to take on the statehouse and building a medical center empire at Fitzsimons/Anshutz.

When it comes to football, Benson is no Gordon Gee.