What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Don't laugh it could happen

If we get a big enough conference, say 60 teams or so, then we don't need a playoff for the MNC. :thumbsup:

USC
UCLA
Stanford
Cal
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington

Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Arizona State

Captures all of the TV markets West of the Miss
Oogles of $$$$$
Huge TV contract in 12
One monster stick in the BCS
An awsome season ticket

Well, my credible sources (that I can not divulge) say that is complete bull****!

If we get a big enough conference, say 60 teams or so, then we don't need a playoff for the MNC. :thumbsup:

Even worse, we could eventually end up with the Superconference format:

NORTH:
Ohio St.
Penn St.
Virginia Tech
Notre Dame
Michigan

EAST:
Miami
Florida
West Virginia
Georgia Tech
Georgia

SOUTH:
Auburn
LSU
Alabama
Texas
Oklahoma

WEST:
USC
Oregon
UCLA
Cal
Nebraska

Conference champ would be the national champion every year, and they could tell every other school to go F themselves. The TV deal they could get would be unreal.

I think the question is if the Big 12 wil ever expand beyond 12 teams..

I have a feeling that it won't and if Missouri leaves, Utah will get the 2nd call after Arkansas politely declines leaving the lucrative SEC.

The B10 has pretty much set a timeline 12-18 months. If anything breaks that timeline is pretty much going to dictate.

Arkansas would never leave the SEC, they've pretty much settled in and don't have significant reasons to leave.

I'd much rather see 16 8-team conferences that fed into a 16-team playoff.

For sure!!! To me this is the only way to do it and assure that it is fair to everyone. Everyone's gripe is that a 16 team playoff takes too long but it can be done in 4 weeks which is nothing when it comes to the type of results you could get.

You could even eliminate the conference championship games too and just use the final rankings of the top 16 to decide who gets in and the seedings.

Anything less than 16 teams is not enough for a true playoff and leaves the door open for a school to not get in and have a legitimate gripe about it.

I like the idea of "super-conferences" of 14 or 16 (maybe even 18) teams. Each team would play 6 or 7 division games with 1 or 2 intra-divisional matchups. It would reduce the chances of conference championships being rematches. The stacked conferences could then allow the regional rivalries to be a part of the divisional play instead of being forced to separate the few powerhouses.

The other reason I like them and feel that they are inevitable, is that I can foresee some combination of Congress, NCAA, and school presidents forcing a playoff in college football with conference champions being the only automatic participants. This could be four teams from 16 team conferences, eight teams from 12 to 16 team conferences, etc. The mid-majors will have to consolidate in order to have a place at the table, but the major conferences have motivation to consolidate based on the even bigger revenue disparity created by the SEC TV contract, and the potential revenue advantage of the Big Ten network.

The posted 14-team alignment could only be feasible if ALL three teams: Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri were invited into a Big-Ten superconference as well, as none of them would allow themselves to be left out of any realignments, and have the marketability and political power to have teeth to their arguments.

The major argument I can see against such events is the timing:

All Pac Ten TV contract expires after 2011-12.

The ACC contract expires after 2011-12.

The Big 12's major contract expires after 2015-16.
The secondary contract expires after 2011-12
The additional 5-year review period for membership changes expires 7/1/2016

The Big Ten ABC/ESPN contract expires after 2015-16.
Owning their own network isn't a factor here as they don't "negotiate" with themselves, merely adding more markets and ratings increases their advertising revenues.

The Big East contract expires after 2012-13.

The BCS Automatic Qualification review period ends after 2010-11.

The new BCS and Rose Bowl ESPN contracts expires after the 2014 game.

Last edited:
Sound post and is close to what I've been hearing in reasoning, it's why I used exploring and getting so many entities to agree at the right time.

The SEC TV deal precipitated a lot of what's being discussed.

Sound post and is close to what I've been hearing in reasoning, it's why I used exploring and getting so many entities to agree at the right time.

The SEC TV deal precipitated a lot of what's being discussed.

Forgot to add that Notre Dame's TV contract also extends through 2015 football season (which is the same as saying the 2015-16 school year).

If the 2011-12 deals could all be aligned to expire immediately after the 2015-16 season, then any changes could be planned and announced in 2014 to take effect beginning in 2016. That would allow time to negotiate the best deals for the super-conferences.

The other effect that the above changes would all have is to preserve a majority of the bowl games. If four or six super-conference champions went on to the playoffs, it would leave plenty of quality programs available to go bowling.

I would be in favor of this if it would provide enough extra revenue for CU to field swimming, wrestling, baseball & softball. Best guess is that we'd have to somehow come up with an extra $20MM +/- in order for that to happen. That's per year. Colorado high schools produce some good talent in those sports.

I would be in favor of this if it would provide enough extra revenue for CU to field swimming, wrestling, baseball & softball. Best guess is that we'd have to somehow come up with an extra $20MM +/- in order for that to happen. That's per year. Colorado high schools produce some good talent in those sports.

Swimming and wrestling should be the first priority.

I am still on the fence about baseball/softball. I love the sport and would love CU to field teams but being realistic about how competitive we could be with the current scheduling and practices would be tough. Practicing in February in Boulder would be fairly tough without a major investment in indoor facilities.

Personally, I would love it if CU added Div-I hockey as a revenue sport. Not that the new "super-conference" would have any relationship to hockey. Just my favorite choice as a sport to add.

I am still on the fence about baseball/softball. I love the sport and would love CU to field teams but being realistic about how competitive we could be with the current scheduling and practices would be tough. Practicing in February in Boulder would be fairly tough without a major investment in indoor facilities.

Personally, I would love it if CU added Div-I hockey as a revenue sport. Not that the new "super-conference" would have any relationship to hockey. Just my favorite choice as a sport to add.

I would be the first in line for CU D-1 hockey season tickets, but it's never going to happen.

Realistically, swimming would need some major facility upgrades as well. The pool at CU is 25 meters. Regulation pools are 50 meters. Chances are that they'd need to construct an entirely new facility to house the D-1 teams and would leave the current pool as a rec pool. That costs money. If they ever get around to rebuilding the fieldhouse, they could put in a regulation pool/diving well/water polo pool there. There's already a pool in that facility that most people don't know about.

This is the most ridiculous thread getting serious replies that I've seen in my short time here. You can't get a bunch of college presidents to agree on how to use the current bowls in a playoff system because they are worried about income, but they'll vote for a complete upheaval of major conferences? Maybe you haven't heard, but the PAC 10 and the conference-that-can't-count still adore the old Rose Bowl rivalry. Sorry, FI2, but :rofl:

I realize that I could've started another "why I dislike Hawkins" thread.

In figuring there have been enough of those already and we have plenty of time to hash those out over the offseason, chose not to.

I did choose to start one that with a little information, hope and logic, would inspire some positive thought from us fans, rather than the everyday down in the dumps mentality. It's already old.

Again, the words "exploring" & "getting so many to think the same way at the same time" apply. I choose to see things in this manner, "I can see so much good coming out of such a conference for Colorado University, something I haven't been able to for some time"

I realize that I could've started another "why I dislike Hawkins" thread.

In figuring there have been enough of those already and we have plenty of time to hash those out over the offseason, chose not to.

I did choose to start one that with a little information, hope and logic, would inspire some positive thought from us fans, rather than the everyday down in the dumps mentality. It's already old.

Again, the words "exploring" & "getting so many to think the same way at the same time" apply. I choose to see things in this manner, "I can see so much good coming out of such a conference for Colorado University, something I haven't been able to for some time"

You just tipped your hand.

Have no hand to tip.

Chose to start a thread about something that I have a little info on and threw it out for discussion. That's about it.

Have no hand to tip.

Chose to start a thread about something that I have a little info on and threw it out for discussion. That's about it.

CU fans, alumni, & others associated with the university never refer to CU as "Colorado University".

Split hairs, University of.

Care to see my game stubs?
Tax returns?
My closet?

Some how I don't believe that would suffice for someone like yourself.

I don't have the need to start threads for self gratification, just not that complicated.

LOL my fandom in question.

Last edited:
Split hairs, University of.

Care to see my game stubs?
Tax returns?
My closet?

Some how I don't believe that would suffice for someone like yourself.

I don't have the need to start threads for self gratification, just not that complicated.

LOL my fandom in question.

Someone like myself?

:lol:

OK, fine. Whatever. I've never heard a CU fan refer to the school as "Colorado University", but I've heard plenty of people who want to pretend to be CU fans do the same.

After the season we've had, why would anybody want to pretend to be a CU fan if they are not? :cry:

hollywoodsquaresyf2.jpg

Circle gets the square... unfortunately.

Where do you propose that the swimming team practices?

Where do you propose that the swimming team practices?

Sack already pointed out that the current pool isn't sufficient. I didn't realize that our facilities were that far away from being usable.

Guess we don't have much options either way it goes.

Maybe Women's gymnastics and Men's wrestling is more feasible

I've got my eye on Men's and Women's lacrosse. The sport's growing in popularity in the west (very much so in Colorado) and CU would have an opportunity to make a name for itself as the top program in the region. Plus, we need more athletics in the spring and LAX is much less expensive than baseball/softball when it comes to start-up costs (no facility upgrades needed). The big drawback is probably travel expenses to get to other D1 programs from here.

In all honesty, though, adding varsity sports has got to be lower on the priority list than providing 1st class facilities to existing programs. The first addition I could see would be Men's Tennis since we have the facilities for it and it was cut simply for travel / scholarship budget reasons.

Last edited:
No way, OU and TU have great shots at national championships in current positions, as leaders of the Big 12. The BCS won't want another confrence like the Big east, which is what the Big 12 would become. USC, OU and TU playing each other would make it hard to reach a national championship. If they got OU and TU then they would not want Utah or CU anyway.

No way, OU and TU have great shots at national championships in current positions, as leaders of the Big 12. The BCS won't want another confrence like the Big east, which is what the Big 12 would become. USC, OU and TU playing each other would make it hard to reach a national championship. If they got OU and TU then they would not want Utah or CU anyway.

The BCS is not a governing body over college football and doesn't mandate the memberships of conference. It's the other way around, the conferences control the BCS.

That is like saying Congress wouldn't allow a member to switch from Democrat to Republican. Sure there would be pressure applied from the other members, but noone else could stop it except the conferences and schools affected.

In either case, there is obviously 0% chance of this happening within the next 10 years.

The Forbes Top 20 Valued CFB teams is a strong indicator.
As in the OP
UT Value 119 Mill Profit 59Mill
OU Value 83 Profit 40
A&M Value 52 Profit 22
CU ?????? ???????
Pac10
USC 68 33

In considering re-alignment the PAC10 has one team that is on a level with 5 B12 & 8 SEC teams. The addition of 3 of the B12s bigs (UT #1) would enhance negotiations for a huge TV contract, ticket sales locally, generated income from licenses and the list goes on.

The SEC has created the situation, only the PAC10 & B10 can do anything to catch up because they have room to expand, the B12 can't and can only ride the 5 members who have made profitability on such a big level.

Re-alignment as put forth is probably not going to happen, given, but $$$ is getting PAC10 & B10(11) to think about what it's going to take in the future to maximize their athletics that have so much already invested in. Neither conference wants to fall in status, they're faced with retaining their bases of funds and find ways to increase or create new sources.

Nothing fixes what ails like a big fat TV contract.

CU fans, alumni, & others associated with the university never refer to CU as "Colorado University".

I once visited San Francisco with a friend attending Stanford and made the mistake of calling it "Frisco" in front of his friends. I was branded an outsider immediately. Nobody but tourists says "Frisco" apparently. Of which I was one.

Same with "Colorado University." It sounds like it was run through a cheap translator ... there's something a little funny with your accent, son. Not from around here, are ya?

Here's a quick primer:
Our mascot is the buffalo, not the bison. Definitely not the water buffalo.
Our official colors are silver and gold, but our football team also wears black. Although the team once wore blue, it's now a symbol of disappointment and failure.
The Sink isn't where you wash, it's a place where you eat (except for those occasional years when it's closed down or renamed briefly.) The Flatirons are the natural icon that sets us apart from other campuses. The Hill is where the parties are. Pasta Jay's is where our football coach hangs out when he's not recruiting or watching film.
The Fountain is a meeting place outside the UMC, which is never called "University Memorial Center" - its official name - except by tour guides taking eager would-be freshmen and their parents on campus visits.
Crossroads is the defunct and demolished mall that housed a Montgomery Wards as the anchor department store, but oldtimers still call the area near 28th and Arapahoe by that nickname. "The Mall" refers to Pearl Street between 13th and Broadway. Even thought it's a street, you can't drive on it.
Mac refers to an often worshipped idol who once walked the campus and brought glory to the buffs. Mac is not a truck, or a fast food sandwich. His name must be said with reverence.
Sal is the name of a guy, who holds a special place in many of our hearts.

And, we go by "CU" but formally, it's always University of Colorado. Never "U of C" and never Colorado University. Just the way it is.

I once visited San Francisco with a friend attending Stanford and made the mistake of calling it "Frisco" in front of his friends. I was branded an outsider immediately. Nobody but tourists says "Frisco" apparently. Of which I was one.

Same with "Colorado University." It sounds like it was run through a cheap translator ... there's something a little funny with your accent, son. Not from around here, are ya?

Here's a quick primer:
Our mascot is the buffalo, not the bison. Definitely not the water buffalo.
Our official colors are silver and gold, but our football team also wears black. Although the team once wore blue, it's now a symbol of disappointment and failure.
The Sink isn't where you wash, it's a place where you drink (except for those occasional years when it's closed down or renamed briefly.) The Flatirons are the natural icon that sets us apart from other campuses. The Hill is where the parties are. Pasta Jay's is where our football coach hangs out when he's not recruiting or watching film.
The Fountain is a meeting place outside the UMC, which is never called "University Memorial Center" - its official name - except by tour guides taking eager would-be freshmen and their parents on campus visits.
Crossroads is the defunct and demolished mall that housed a Montgomery Wards as the anchor department store, but oldtimers still call the area near 28th and Arapahoe by that nickname. "The Mall" refers to Pearl Street between 13th and Broadway. Even thought it's a street, you can't drive on it.
Mac refers to an often worshipped idol who once walked the campus and brought glory to the buffs. Mac is not a truck, or a fast food sandwich. His name must be said with reverence.
Sal is the name of a guy, who holds a special place in many of our hearts.

And, we go by "CU" but formally, it's always University of Colorado. Never "U of C" and never Colorado University. Just the way it is.

FIFY, food at the Sink is simply to help the beer go down.

Back