What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Don't laugh it could happen

And, we go by "CU" but formally, it's always University of Colorado. Never "U of C" and never Colorado University. Just the way it is.

I know I read somewhere and heard from some old-timers that back in the late 1800s and 1900s it was commonly referred to as "Colorado University" and UC but then sometime before WWII it changed to differentiate us from the California schools. I think that was about the same time that we started to see all of the out of staters start to show up too as we became more of a national school. Kinda funny how now that it is "CU", we do the long version backwards as "University of Colorado" and back then how it was "UC", they also did it backwards and used the "Colorado University" moniker.

Anyway, I could be wrong on my dates, but I wouldn't say CU was never called UofC/Colorado University.

Usually the only people who refer to CU as "Colorado University" are folks who have very little, if any connection to the place. That's all I'm saying. I have heard a few people call it "U of C", but that's still pretty uncommon. It's the goofiness of the situation that makes us unique. You'd think that a school named The University of Colorado would go by "UC" or "U of C" for short. But it doesn't. We go by "CU". It just sounds better. Conversely, just because we call ourselves "CU" doesn't mean the name of the school magically changed to "Colorado University".

And the Alma Mater clearly says "Dear Old CU". I don't know how long that song has been around.

I think it was a Big 8 thing:

University of Colorado -- CU
"University" of ****braska -- NU
University of sucklahoma -- OU
University of Kansas -- KU
University of Misery -- MU

[/QUOTE] And the Alma Mater clearly says "Dear Old CU". I don't know how long that song has been around.[/QUOTE]

I think it's been around since the 1930's. And the only people who I've ever heard call CU, Colorado University are those who are not native or from out of state.

That and all the California schools liked to start with "U":

University of Cal at Berkeley, UC/Berkeley
University of California/Los Angeles= UCLA
University of Southern California = USC

UC Santa Barbara, UC San Diego, and so on.
and then on the east coast you have UConn...

Add this to the list of things the texas schools f-ed up when they joined.

I suppose I could depart as a supposed fake fan but that wouldn't be proper for me.

I'll leave this and this board with the following:

I thought the streaker at the ISU game after CB scored was a riot, it was a Zebra thong.
I believe reading with the Buffs a worthy program
The 89 & 90 Orange Bowls should be something that everyone has an opportunity to experience, I'll never forget them.
I have the stones to wear my CU garb at the UT Alumni Center
7 Coaches and hopefully for an 8th
My wife is employed by UT in the Dean's office (donor affairs)
My sister works in the AD @ Oregon

I lost a wager with 1) Oregon, 1) UT & 1) CU donor. The wager was for a very good cigar as to how long it would be before someone would question my being a Buff, I even got one mulligan. $450.00, I got off cheap.

Ya'll have a good Christmas.

Yup. The region already had another UK, UM, and CU didn't want to be confused with the UC schools.

Back