What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Doug Rippy

You guys are wrong about Major. He's been spending most of his time in pass coverage-that's why he's not all over the field anymore. Rippy is playing that role, and he's playing it, I assume, because he's not so good in pass coverage. We'd be better off if Rippy could cover a back or TE now and then so that the opposing offense doesn't know which one is coming on the blitz, but it doesn't seem like the coaches trust Rippy to cover.

It's pissing me off to see Major do the job he's assigned and then hear fans call him out because he's lost a step, yada yada yada.

I agree with you. I'm not sure if he's NFL friendly because of the knee issues, or has the speed that he'll need at his size, but it isn't fair to blame him for not being around the ball when he's playing in coverage so often...

Terrell Davis ran a 4.7 40 at the Combine.

The combine is good for only a few things

The interview
Physical
Drug test
Positional drills.

All the other things are irrelevant, like 40 yard dash, vertical jump and bench press.

so you listed an exception as proof? What did Chris Johnson run at the combine? How about AP? The combine is good because you want to see how athletic a player is, how well he responds to competition and training and his preparation.

Rippy has been a pleasant surprise. His development this year has been a huge help to the defense both in terms of attitude and also athleticism.

This team doesn't have a lot of NFL talent on it but what they have is mostly on defense.

On offense right now I see.

Ryan Miller - One of the more disappointing players on the team for me but has ability and measurables, likely pick in the first three rounds.

David Bakhtiari - If he continues to develop will be a mid round draft choice who had a good chance to stick, will probably be moved to guard in the league due to lack of height (NFL likes 6'6" or taller tackles)

Ryan Deehan - lacks outstanding measurables but will get a look as an UFA

Speedy - Potential late round pick based on production last year and speed, more likely UFA due to size.

PRich - Needs to get more consistent, has the talent but must back it with production, could go anywhere from 2-3 round to late rounds depending on his development.

Long range - Steal of recruiting class last year so far. Tyler McCulloch has the size the NFL likes, is physical, and has NFL hands, lacks blazing speed but could end up as a player.

Defense.

Cunningham may get a UFA look but lacks the size the NFL looks for.

Pericek is an athlete D-lineman, classic 3-4 DE hybrid between traditional DT and DE.

Uzo-Diribe may develop into a guy who gets a look, fast pass rusher are always welcome in the league, he needs to put on size without losing speed.

Rippy - If he continues his development could get drafted in later rounds, a little smaller than the league likes but has attitude and quickness.

Major - Has measurables but production hasn't matched measurables and injury history may scare teams away, potential late rounder, more likely UFA

Henderson - Playing well for a Fr. has good measurables already, if he continues to develop could be a high round pick.

Polk - I know that people give him grief for his instincts but has been put in some bad positions by the injuries at corner, has big play potential, and has outstanding measurables, could develop himself into a mid-rounder or play himself right out of any chance to play.

Hartigan - Will not get drafted, simply doesn't have the measurables, should get a look as a UFA and play his way into the league, his special teams ability could make the difference.

Perkins - Good college player but lacks measurables. At best UFA.

There could be some others among the young guys who haven't yet seen the field but until they play can't make any opinion.

Looking through the roster to write this I am struck again at how little truly top level athletes this team has. Even a lot of the guys on this list are not elite level athletes but could play themselves into a look. When we play some of the teams on the schedule with elite talent we are going to look like we are running in mud.

What about Obi? Also, not to suggest that he's NFL ready by any means, but has anyone been keeping track of Nick Kasa? I think he made a couple tackles against OSU, but I haven't noticed much of him.

What about Obi? Also, not to suggest that he's NFL ready by any means, but has anyone been keeping track of Nick Kasa? I think he made a couple tackles against OSU, but I haven't noticed much of him.

I love what Obi has done but unless he makes another step up I think he would be lucky to get a UFA look. He doesn't play like he has NFL strength and power. Kasa isn't even starting for us. It could be his injuries still or it could just be that he has not developed the way people thought he would, he's another guys who may have been seriously screwed up by the Hawk staff.

If Bonsu can get healthy and put on a solid 20 lbs he could be a prospect but that's to many ifs to say right now.

Henderson, Polk, Perkins? Henderson might not even be starting at CB next season. Even Speedy is a reach.

I love this kool-aid

It's always fun to project who may be NFL worthy in the future, but hell, I'm most concerned with our guys demonstrating they can play consistently well at the college level.

Rippy has been a pleasant surprise. His development this year has been a huge help to the defense both in terms of attitude and also athleticism.

This team doesn't have a lot of NFL talent on it but what they have is mostly on defense.

On offense right now I see.

Ryan Miller - One of the more disappointing players on the team for me but has ability and measurables, likely pick in the first three rounds.

David Bakhtiari - If he continues to develop will be a mid round draft choice who had a good chance to stick, will probably be moved to guard in the league due to lack of height (NFL likes 6'6" or taller tackles)

Ryan Deehan - lacks outstanding measurables but will get a look as an UFA

Speedy - Potential late round pick based on production last year and speed, more likely UFA due to size.

PRich - Needs to get more consistent, has the talent but must back it with production, could go anywhere from 2-3 round to late rounds depending on his development.

Long range - Steal of recruiting class last year so far. Tyler McCulloch has the size the NFL likes, is physical, and has NFL hands, lacks blazing speed but could end up as a player.

Defense.

Cunningham may get a UFA look but lacks the size the NFL looks for.

Pericek is an athlete D-lineman, classic 3-4 DE hybrid between traditional DT and DE.

Uzo-Diribe may develop into a guy who gets a look, fast pass rusher are always welcome in the league, he needs to put on size without losing speed.

Rippy - If he continues his development could get drafted in later rounds, a little smaller than the league likes but has attitude and quickness.

Major - Has measurables but production hasn't matched measurables and injury history may scare teams away, potential late rounder, more likely UFA

Henderson - Playing well for a Fr. has good measurables already, if he continues to develop could be a high round pick.

Polk - I know that people give him grief for his instincts but has been put in some bad positions by the injuries at corner, has big play potential, and has outstanding measurables, could develop himself into a mid-rounder or play himself right out of any chance to play.

Hartigan - Will not get drafted, simply doesn't have the measurables, should get a look as a UFA and play his way into the league, his special teams ability could make the difference.

Perkins - Good college player but lacks measurables. At best UFA.

There could be some others among the young guys who haven't yet seen the field but until they play can't make any opinion.

Looking through the roster to write this I am struck again at how little truly top level athletes this team has. Even a lot of the guys on this list are not elite level athletes but could play themselves into a look. When we play some of the teams on the schedule with elite talent we are going to look like we are running in mud.

I'll throw in my 0 scouting years experience in on this issue:

Firstly, this post may seem negative, but I love my Buffs. **** off.

MTN buff, I liked your post. it may sound like I'm ripping you, but I'm not. I think you touched on all the guys we seem to be talking about as having NFL talent. I'm quoting this so I don't forget anybody.

This post is long, so if you want the cliff notes version, it's this paragraph. We confuse NFL ready and NFL potential on this site all the time and try to cover both with the word talent. We have a pretty good number of people that have NFL potential. They have talent. They're fast, or big, or strong, or do a couple things pretty well. They still have to figure out exactly what to do with it. Until then, even somebody with "NFL talent" doesn't exactly mean they're going to help us win games today. We have very very very few that are NFL ready. Good teams have many players that are NFL ready. A dozen LSU players could not play another down of college ball and get drafted in April. They've seen it all, nothing surprises them, they handle themselves well when adversity strikes, they know the little tricks of the trade, they know what they excel at and put themselves in position to do that, they don't get confused, they don't do anything stupid. That's NFL ready. That's what I want. I bet 1/3 of LSU's roster easy (~25-30) are guys with NFL talent, but they just need time and reps and practice to put it all together.
Right now, we have 1 person who is ready to play in the NFL next year....Maybe: Ryan Miller. He definitely won't excel. He probably wouldn't start. 1 NFL ready guy.

I agree that Bakh has a chance, and he has a chance to be pretty good. He'll need a few more years of development and serious improvement. He might have NFL talent. But there is no way you can say he's NFL ready right now.

Ryan Deehan, whom I like as a college TE, has no business being in the NFL. He's an ok blocker, actually had some pretty good hook blocks and we've had him 1-1 against DEs on running plays with (some) success. He has good hands. But he is SLOOOOWWW. That won't get it done. 0 chance drafted, maybe a practice squad guy. I wouldn't even say he's got NFL talent.

Speedy will not get drafted. He will not make an NFL roster. He is too small. He doesn't push piles, so he has to rely on his speed/game breaking ability. As much as we hate to admit it because he's one of our 2 big play guys, doesn't have big play ability. I'm pretty sure he's had 0 TDs of over 70 yards. For a 4 year starter who's nickname is speedy, how does that get you in the league? He's got NFL heart, but not NFL talent (at least, not what they look for)

P-Rich has a chance, but he's not even close to being ready this year. Remember, he's had probably 5 great college games out of 11 ish? I actually think he's a pretty great blocker, especially considering his size. Very underrated in this respect and I for one really appreciate the effort he puts in blocking. I have no idea how he gets so open because I think he rounds off his route running a lot. Quite fast, pretty good moves in space, iffy hands of late. He's definitely got a chance to be good. And he'll hopefully get a lot of time to develop here and also be the focus of a gameplan, which I think should help. NFL talent, but not NFL ready today.

Tyler McCulloch, LOL. He's 4 games in and has 5 catches in his NCAA career. I don't think that's the kind of stuff the NFL salivates over. I get what you're saying that he may become an NFL player, and you may be right. But we obviously can't say he's anything near that right now. I don't even want to speculate as to NFL talent right now.

Offense, I get 1 NFL ready guy, and 2 NFL talent guys. (That's not very much)

Defense:
Cunningham: yeeeeaaahhhh, if he's somebody that an NFL team is interested in, why is he only playing in about 25% of the defensive snaps for CU? Pass.

Pericek: I actually think he might get a look. I don't have any real reason to think so though, so this is just through my CU glasses. He's not flashy, he holds his own kind of. He's got pretty good size. He really hustles. He seems to have a team first attitude and wil do anything to help the team. Maybe I just hope he gets an UFA look somewhere. I don't know where you'd put him on an NFL team though. Definitely not DT because he probably can't anchor against NFL OGs, and I don't think he's fast enough for DE in the NFL....not sure about him. I'm sure he won't get drafted. Maybe an UFA? NFL talent? Sure? We'll say yes for now.

Uzo-Diribe will probably be our best DL by the end of the year, and I'm hoping will prove to be a real terror on our team in the following years. But to say he's ready now I think is crazy. I don't think he does much more than "go get the QB" right now. He's got some pretty good moves to do that, and he's definitely improving with every game. But I think he still has a way to go before the Colts decide he's going to be their next Dwight Freeney. Next season I hope to say he'll be an NFL ready player for us. I really think he will be soon. NFL Talent, not yet ready.

Rippy looks the part. He has since he's gotten here. He's probably the anchor of our team. Pretty good leader already. I admit I haven't really been watching him much. He's always involved in runs and getting some QB pressure. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. We'll say he could get drafted. But this is his first 4 games starting. He needs reps. NFL talent, I'm hoping ready by the end of this year. Prove me right Rippy!

Major I think has been pretty great. If he had ever played an entire season without getting hurt, I think he'd be a 5-6 round pick. But his health is an issue. Some NFL teams might take him even with that (George Foster) but I am supremely confident he'll be an UFA and has a very good chance to make a team. We'll call him an NFL talent. I could even go so far as to say he could be ready. I think he's more developed right now than Rippy. Here's to good health.

Henderson is not an NFLer now, but I agree he will be. He's got a lot to learn yet. I find myself watching him more than anybody else on our defense. Totally sold on NFL talent, totally not ready. Keep up the great work and you could be GREAT!

Polk: Absolutely would not get a look next year. Maybe as a RB LOL. He's fast. But he still knows virtually nothing about form tackling, can't read plays, doesn't know where he is on the field, and has yet to get an interception. So other than not being a ball hawk, and not tackling when he gets there, and taking bad penalties he'll be drafted? I think he's actually gotten better this year. He's starting to separate receivers from the ball, so he's getting to plays now. He NEEDS to use his arms to tackle, and still needs improvement on play recognition and trusting his instincts (except when they're wrong). I think a year of probably playing a lot of defense since our offense sucks will help him with all this. Very vocal now and seems to be learning more each day. I would argue that this year he's neither a talent or ready. Next year, I think it's possible he could be both...you could still have a high ceiling buddy. Keep working.

Hartigan: I don't see it. I don't see any of it. In 155 plays he's been in before the OSU game, he's had 15 tackles. A little over 4 a game. ? He's not big, he's not fast. He's not a captain. What am I missing? Disrupting CSU's OLine? I can't get that image of the Hawaii QB going right by him out of my head. I vote no on NFL talent or ready. To be fair, I thought Brad Jones wasn't anything special for us either, so maybe I don't get the rush end position and what it entails.

Perkens: Agree he's just not fast enough. He doesn't quite get there. That won't fly. No NFL talent.

Defense results:
4 guys with NFL talent, 1 NFL ready.

Total:
2 guys NFL ready (and Major is pushing it), 6 guys NFL talent. 8 guys out of 22 starters. 8 guys out of everybody not redshirting...Ugh. Annnnnddd that's why we're 1-3.

Keep your head up Buffs fans, we'll make it through this. Keep fighting.

Last edited:
If the offense didn't go three and out over and over during the first half of every game then we're singing a different tune about the defense. Not sure about NFL talent, but other than weakness against scrambling QBs (coaching problem) our defense can hold up with the better ones in the league.

Henderson, Polk, Perkins? Henderson might not even be starting at CB next season. Even Speedy is a reach.

I love this kool-aid

He still plays like a frosh but if Henderson isn't starting next year it means that our corners are no longer a question mark.

Polk has not earned a look with his play although similar to the comments about Major earlier a lot of that is due to what they are asking him to do. Despite that he is a very good pure athlete, unless he develops a lot quickly I don't see him ever seeing time as an NFL player but he could easily be one of those guys who some team falls in love with when he is in shorts and a t-shirt.

Perkins, as I said earlier would be lucky to get a UFA chance, he just doesn't have the athletic ability.

T Clem has NFL measurables, but cannot catch, at least not consistently, so no NFL in his future likely. Look out Arena League, though.

Tractor, good post and I think we are pretty much in agreement.

My post was primarily focused on two things, which players will likely get a look from the NFL and a few who could or should develop to that point. I don't see a single guy on the team that I would feel comfortable saying is a lock to make an NFL roster and to be a solid contributor.

I do think we have some guys who will at least atract the attention of scouts simply because of their athletic ability, including Polk and Pericek. The league tends to fall in love with guys who can excell in the combine and pro day formats. Both these guys have good size, speed, and strength for their positions.

I realize that it is very early to think about guys like McCulloch but in the few chances we have had to see him I have seen him use his body and hands to take balls away from DBs after getting open, I have also seen him get off the live effectively against press coverage and to block effectively.

Again what is startling is to see how few players on the entire roster even fall into the discussion of possible NFL futures. Gives an understanding of the importance of stepping up recruiting and also a realistic perspective on this season. The rest of this season and in fact the next couple of years at best until Embree can turn over the roster we are very rarely going to see games where our talent is even on par with the teams we play, much less better.

We have talent, the problem with the team is that we don't have elite talent or NFL talent in key positions.

Corner- We would have beaten Cal
OL- we win the Hawaii game
QB- no slow start against Ohio State
RB- control the time of pocession against Ohio State
Punter- we control the field position.

Thoughts?
bilde

4.jpg

Shoulda injured him.

We have talent, the problem with the team is that we don't have elite talent or NFL talent in key positions.

Corner- We would have beaten Cal
OL- we win the Hawaii game
QB- no slow start against Ohio State
RB- control the time of pocession against Ohio State
Punter- we control the field position.

Oneil isn't perfect and perhaps he takes too long to punt, but it's his first year punting. The coaches also don't believe that his blockers can't stop the rush because we had three blocks already. ST as a whole is a disaster, but it looks like we may have a four year starter at punter. Just hope it works out. Wish Alfeed were here so we could get his input.

I gotta get my hands on the drugs bigbang is on. Sure would make this season a lot easier to watch.

Spoke to Brown at the kickoff luncheon and he said Major is his best LB. He said they moved Major to SAM because he is their best at playing in space. Said he would start at MLB or WLB if they had another option at SAM. Brown further said, Major will play in the NFL, already has scouts asking about him, is 100% healthy, has a high football IQ and runs a low 4.5 forty. As for Rippy, Brown is ecstatic with his development and thinks he too will be an NFL caliber player by next season. Said he has a ton of upside as he has only played football for 4 or 5 years.

I have noticed that teams will not run at Major and tend to go at Hartigan and Webb or up the gut. They will also flip their TE to move Major away from the play. Against OSU, I doubt they ran the ball 3 times towards Major. Seems to be part of the gameplan for our opponents so far this season. Production is obviously going to go down for a LB when you are playing in space and the ball goes away most of the time. Last year Major averaged over 8 tackles a game playing WLB.

Cabral does a great job with his LB's and always has his unit ready to go.

Back