What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DP Reporting Embree being Retained

What coach would want to come to this half baked program to work for a coach on the hot seat???

Decent opportunity for an up and comer. Showing improvement is pretty much a given from this team. When pretty damn bad is a measurable improvement you got nowhere to go but up. Also, any improvement will be credited fully to the newbie assistant and not Embree. A potential resume builder in a big time conference and a decent chance to get an interview for Embree's gig when it inevitably becomes open. Should be a fun dynamic going on. Assistants that know they are more competent than their boss. A boss that is resentful he had to fire his friends to hire these newbies that do not even respect him. If we cannot watch wins then at least we will get to watch an epic implosion.

I think it is pretty well known what the outcome will be...Embree will be back, Greg Brown and Brian Cabral are going to be the most likely scape goats. You might have one or two other assistants leave on their own. You are not going to see the entire staff leave. Bohn was not very visible yesterday. Bohn is a major part of the problem at CU and has been for a long time.

I have thought about this a lot lately. If you think that recruiting stunk under Hawkins, then Embree had to start from scratch. If you believe that, well then year 3 should see improvement. Not year 1 and 2. I really can't find a program that was so bad from self imposed sanctions that has so few in grown talent within their own state.

I get it that there are barriers at CU. Your high school football does not produce the numbers of top talented kids that are needed to have a somewhat stable program.

These thought though do not prove or disprove that Embree is a good coach. I am just acknowledging that he stepped into a very difficult situation.
I agree. Embree is dealing with a huge "ripple effect" from the last 10 years. I wish I knew the answer. It isn't like Embree inherited a winning program and drove it into the dirt. Hell, I just don't know. If we fired Embree and hired someone else, would that not be the definition of "grasping at straws?"

Interesting how the race card gets thrown around yet the coaches that get possibly canned are not black. Embree shooting for all black staff?

I agree. Embree is dealing with a huge "ripple effect" from the last 10 years. I wish I knew the answer. It isn't like Embree inherited a winning program and drove it into the dirt. Hell, I just don't know. If we fired Embree and hired someone else, would that not be the definition of "grasping at straws?"

If you hire a competent, experienced coaching staff, it is the definition of "correcting a mistake."

It is all good and fun to rip Hawkins and Barnett and Bohn and Distephano and Benson.

But at the end of the day the coach in the record books for a 1-11 season with zero home wins this year is named Jon Embree.

If you hire a competent, experienced coaching staff, it is the definition of "correcting a mistake."
I thought Hawkins was "competent and experienced." But, to your point, the retort would be that we did not get Hawkin's staff. So, if that is the argument, can Embree build the right "staff" in which to win with. My wife, not a sports fan, told me, "You know, when I listen to Embree, he just does not sound inspirational."

I thought Hawkins was "competent and experienced." But, to your point, the retort would be that we did not get Hawkin's staff. So, if that is the argument, can Embree build the right "staff" in which to win with. My wife, not a sports fan, told me, "You know, when I listen to Embree, he just does not sound inspirational."

I think what Hawkins showed us that even an experienced head coach can be let down by inexperienced coordinators (in the case of Hawkins, two offensive coordinators). Plus the importance of a head coach knowing what it takes to win at the BCS level. Embree's staff took it a couple steps further with an inexperienced head coach and inexperienced coordinators.

I think we all know what has to be done - clean house and pony up for a guy who has proven experience building a staff, and give him the financial support to do so.

I think we also know that the chances of us doing this is about as likely as me getting a bj by Scarlett Johanssen tonight.

How much do you have to pay Stitt to join this ****-show? For a program that claims it is broke, we sure do like to piss our money away.

Although we are saving a ton on on Embree's salary relative to other coache and won't have to pay Hawkins next year. Clean house. Rather than worry about losing money, why not get a boost in hope, success and start making more money to make up for it?

How did Hawkins have an incompetent OC? Look at Helfrich. Do you not think that he and Kelly sat down and went over this? I don't think Kelly had all of this by himself. Hawkins wouldn't turn anything loose that would show even more that Cody didn't have the skills. This is a mess if Embree is retained. DC was horrific. OC was horrific and Embree never took over either to shoulder the mess he helped create. I'm wondering if there are OC and DC candidates that have already been talked to and not allow Embree to bring in his friends.

It is all good and fun to rip Hawkins and Barnett and Bohn and Distephano and Benson.

But at the end of the day the coach in the record books for a 1-11 season with zero home wins this year is named Jon Embree.

A good boss hires the best candidate for the job. Good bosses don't put their subordinates to fail.

If Mike Bohn hired Lucy Pinder to be the head coach, there would be atleast three boobs in the Dal Ward.

This is bull****. What has Bohn or anyone seen that suggest things are headed in the right direction for CU football. How does Bohn sleep at night? I know the admin has him by the balls, but does he have no pride or self respect?
In a word no, he's their dancing monkey, and for Bohn, the price is right....

Everyone knew embree wasn't going to be fired, look at cu's track record. Maybe and I mean maybe brown is gone but I doubt anyone else besides BC.

There are no benefits to retaining a head coach in this situation and simply changing out all the assistants. CU fails if this is the case. Remember that...CU.fails.end.of.story.

The fat lady has not started to sing yet.

What does Adele have to do with this? :smile2:

Right now we have Jon Embree talking as if he's coming back. We have Mark Johnson acting as if Embree is returning. We have the Denver Post saying Embree is returning. What we don't have is CU saying that Embree will return. And CU has the final word on this, not Embree, not Johnson, not Henderson. I don't think this is an insignificant point....

There are no benefits to retaining a head coach in this situation and simply changing out all the assistants. CU fails if this is the case. Remember that...CU.fails.end.of.story.

what.is.up.with.all.the.periods.

Reed Marks just tweeted:

@reedmarks: CU ADept will NOT confirm whether they will be bringing back Embree or not. Reason:no decision has been made yet. 2 many ppl still involved

Back